Covington to Houston, Capela to Atlanta

CWood21

Just now, Kirill said:

Meh I'm just not that high on Capela. He's soft and injury prone and does like two things well. I also don't think this is a weak draft class. There's just not "that guy" in it.

Soft and injury prone?  I believe his rim protection the last few years has been among the best, and he's averaged 69 GP over the last three seasons.

1 hour ago, Kirill said:

Hell no. They gave up the 16th pick and will likely collect a few meaningless wins this year and lose their top spot in the tank battle as a result of this deal, on top of killing some of the cap flexibility they had this offseason.

Give me the best odds for top pick, the 16th pick, and 20M in cap space over Clint Capela. He's just not that guy.

this is really, really wrong. the hawks arent a great team but for the first quarter of the season they had to depend on two rookies, jabari parker and deandre bembry as legitimate options to score. theyre significantly better with collins ans huerter and both rookies have improved. their record was already improving.

kind of the same deal with brooklyn. its unlikely that was staying as the 16th pick with kyrie back. theyre going to be better the rest of the year.

lastly, superstars arent coming to atlanta. they have way more cap then theyll be able to spend and capela is one of the best ways to spend that money.

Edited by GSUeagles14
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kirill said:

Meh I'm just not that high on Capela. He's soft and injury prone and does like two things well. I also don't think this is a weak draft class. There's just not "that guy" in it.

He's averaging 14-14-2 on 63% shooting and plays good defense. He's currently the 73rd highest paid player in the NBA. The end of his contract would put him 53rd in 2020. In 2023 that'll probably be like 100th. He's paid like the 12th to 14th best center in the NBA right now and that will likely fall each year. For you to think that's bad value you'd have to think he's below average at his position. Care to explain why you think this draft class isn't terrible?

I really like the return for Minny. Cov seemed to be gone anyways and they get some very interesting guys and depth. This is somewhat similar to the Raps trade of Rudy Gay in that regard. Will they make another move? Is Wiggins+ for Russell still in play? 

Atlanta needed to take a swing. I do really like Capela although he’s not perfect and their are injury concerns he is a talent Atlanta needed to add. 

Denver I don’t hate it but I feel they gave away some of the more intriguing players but they got guys that can potentially contribute to the team this season and a pick. Can they use these guys and complete another more intriguing move?

Houston I’m the most curious about. I think they felt they needed to take a swing but this is a team that takes nothing but swings or perhaps the owner just wanted to get out of that tax which would be pretty disheartening. I don’t think this improves them this year and hurts their already low chances to come out of the west. Also giving up future assets when they have so few. This could be the beginning of the end unless you believe the end has already begun. 

34 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If they can keep Parker and bring back Goodwin and Teague, the real need is to strengthen the wings and bring back in a backup C like Len. At that point, the No. 1 overall is nice, but they have a max contract they could fit in for a 3-and-D guy, and then just taking someone high in the draft that fits works at that point. 

quite frankly thats too many guys. rotations are like 8 guys when it really matters, 9 max. parker is trash, he cant shoot 3s, cant initiate offense and is bad defensively with a history of being much worse.

reddish and hunter arent going anywhere and both have improved throughout the year abd have position flexibility. we'll likely still end up with a top 10 pick. maybe you bring teague back or another veteran point, but thats it. goodwins very likely gone .

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

If the fact that we don't have someone in favor and against every part of the trade, this has to be a fair deal, right?

I don't get it from the Nuggets perspective.  It seems like they helped out the Rockets and didn't do much to help themselves.  

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't get it from the Nuggets perspective.  It seems like they helped out the Rockets and didn't do much to help themselves.  

i mean, what they have up were spare parts. beasleys very talented but je wasnt going to get real minutes and was clearly walking next year . how much can you really get for that?

34 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean, it's about "extending" their window.  Malik Beasley has 41 of the 51 games possible, and he's averaged 18.2 MPG in those games.  Hernangomez has played in 34 games and averaged 12.4 MPG.  I think you could make the argument that this makes them slightly worse in the meantime, but I think the reality was that both were RFA and weren't going to be re-signed.  Malik Beasley probably wouldn't have gotten the extension he was seeking, given that the Nuggets are paying Gary Harris and Will Barton nearly $33M combined.  And they have Jerami Grant making over $9.3M if he exercises his PO.

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

quite frankly thats too many guys. rotations are like 8 guys when it really matters, 9 max. parker is trash, he cant shoot 3s, cant initiate offense and is bad defensively with a history of being much worse.

reddish and hunter arent going anywhere and both have improved throughout the year abd have position flexibility. we'll likely still end up with a top 10 pick. maybe you bring teague back or another veteran point, but thats it. goodwins very likely gone .

Either way, I would love Teague back. And honestly, make a run at someone with a max contract and see what sticks.