What a Taysom Hill lead offense might look like:

whodatworm23

Watching Nick Wright and Chris Canty on First things first this morning and they did a “In or Out” segment on Taysom Hill as a starting quarterback. Both said they were out, Canty citing the idea that placing Hill at quarterback full time takes away from what makes him special while Wright leaned on his lack of passing production thus far in his career at 29 years old.

listening to this it made me think of your stance with Hill yet it also made me believe even more that Hill will absolutely be our next QB. Payton’s ego is massive and Hill is his 3 year project he wants to unleash on the NFL and prove everyone wrong and hear about how much of a genius he is once he makes Hill a productive NFL starter. This is more about Payton than it is Hill. 

13 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

Watching Nick Wright and Chris Canty on First things first this morning and they did a “In or Out” segment on Taysom Hill as a starting quarterback. Both said they were out, Canty citing the idea that placing Hill at quarterback full time takes away from what makes him special while Wright leaned on his lack of passing production thus far in his career at 29 years old.

listening to this it made me think of your stance with Hill yet it also made me believe even more that Hill will absolutely be our next QB. Payton’s ego is massive and Hill is his 3 year project he wants to unleash on the NFL and prove everyone wrong and hear about how much of a genius he is once he makes Hill a productive NFL starter. This is more about Payton than it is Hill. 

I’m not saying I totally agree that this is what’s happening. Sean Payton is an ego maniac for sure but he may really believe he’s found the next franchise QB.

but if what you’re saying is true, fans should 100% be against that kind of mindset  

10 hours ago, Dome said:

I’m not saying I totally agree that this is what’s happening. Sean Payton is an ego maniac for sure but he may really believe he’s found the next franchise QB.

but if what you’re saying is true, fans should 100% be against that kind of mindset  

Yes they should... and if what your saying is true (that Payton truly believes he’s found the next franchise qb) then fans should be excited for a Taysom Hill lead Saints team.

To me it’s the unknown, with Teddy B we kinda know what we’re getting BUT I also would not want Teddy on a 30 million dollar deal either. I’d be happy with Teddy but only at like a middle of the pack low to mid 20’s per deal. One which allows the Saints to lock up all their young players and continue to build around Teddy. The same goes for Hill but due to the fact that Hill can create more offense on his own  than Teddy I’m a lil more open to his deal once he proves himself.

While I appreciate the effort put into the initial post, I think the best way to describe a Taysom Hill led team would be: Missed Opportunity.

If we go with Brees or Bridgewater next season I think the team is in a good position to make another playoff run given all the talent we currently have on the roster. If Hill starts that likely means both Brees and Bridgewater are not on the roster next season, and that is very concerning given Hill at no point in his college or NFL career has shown anything that resembles he is a NFL starting QB. Closest thing I can think of is when Terrelle Pryor took over briefly as a QB for Oakland, but even Pryor looked more the part in college than Hill ever has shown. Hill is one of my favorite players on the roster in his current role as a gadget player that can occasionally throw a couple passes, but I can't help but think we take a significant step backwards if we let him be the starting QB with no other proven options on the roster, and even worse, waste a season in which we have a deep talented roster that could actually contend for a playoff run. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

While I appreciate the effort put into the initial post, I think the best way to describe a Taysom Hill led team would be: Missed Opportunity.

If we go with Brees or Bridgewater next season I think the team is in a good position to make another playoff run given all the talent we currently have on the roster. If Hill starts that likely means both Brees and Bridgewater are not on the roster next season, and that is very concerning given Hill at no point in his college or NFL career has shown anything that resembles he is a NFL starting QB. Closest thing I can think of is when Terrelle Pryor took over briefly as a QB for Oakland, but even Pryor looked more the part in college than Hill ever has shown. Hill is one of my favorite players on the roster in his current role as a gadget player that can occasionally throw a couple passes, but I can't help but think we take a significant step backwards if we let him be the starting QB with no other proven options on the roster, and even worse, waste a season in which we have a deep talented roster that could actually contend for a playoff run. 

I agree with this for the most part.  I hope Taysom proves me wrong, but right now I'm skeptical.

However, it could be wasted season also if Brees is just done and playing a year too late like Manning.  We won't know until that time comes.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 1:13 PM, tyler735 said:

Could it be, and im spitballing here... That Hill has developed into a much better passer over the last 3 years than were all giving him credit for? Payton sees this guys progression on a day to day basis and hes not the type of coach to put his rep on the line for a player without having a very strong convection. I understand the question will always be, "well why dod he start Bridgewater over Hill". Its a valid question however I do believe its 2 completely different scenieros when your simply keeping the status quo going until Brees returns from Injury opposed to replacing Brees full time and building another offensive scheme around a players talent. The former fits Bridgewater while the latter has much more potential with Hill.

11 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Could it be, and im spitballing here... That Hill has developed into a much better passer over the last 3 years than were all giving him credit for?

It's possible, but seems highly improbable given his history or lack thereof at the position. Time isn't on Hill's side either as he will be on the wrong side of 30 as he starts his journey to be a starting QB.

11 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Payton sees this guys progression on a day to day basis and hes not the type of coach to put his rep on the line for a player without having a very strong convection.

My take is that coaches, especially a guy like Payton are very ego driven. I don't doubt that Payton thinks he can mold Hill into a starting QB. I do however doubt that Payton can mold Hill into a starting QB. I can't say I have reached a point where I think Payton is some magical QB whisperer like an Andy Reid who has proven it with several QB's. So far Payton has a track record of basically Drew Brees for the past 15 years or so. Obviously it seems like Brees and Payton where a perfect match for each other, but that doesn't mean I'm confident in Payton completely changing the offense to accommodate an unproven QB that has a completely different style of play. 

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be upset if we went with Hill for the aforementioned reasons in this thread, but I'd gladly eat crow on this if it works out.

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

It's possible, but seems highly improbable given his history or lack thereof at the position. Time isn't on Hill's side either as he will be on the wrong side of 30 as he starts his journey to be a starting QB.

My take is that coaches, especially a guy like Payton are very ego driven. I don't doubt that Payton thinks he can mold Hill into a starting QB. I do however doubt that Payton can mold Hill into a starting QB. I can't say I have reached a point where I think Payton is some magical QB whisperer like an Andy Reid who has proven it with several QB's. So far Payton has a track record of basically Drew Brees for the past 15 years or so. Obviously it seems like Brees and Payton where a perfect match for each other, but that doesn't mean I'm confident in Payton completely changing the offense to accommodate an unproven QB that has a completely different style of play. 

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be upset if we went with Hill for the aforementioned reasons in this thread, but I'd gladly eat crow on this if it works out.

In a way... isn’t that an indictment on what many feel about Sean Payton moving forward though? I for one am torn on what I’d like to see the Saints do post Brees. On one hand I LOVE TEDDY B! Teddy is a proven winner in the NFL with great leadership qualities and is 3 years younger than Hill... However, I do feel Teddy at his BEST is maybe a bottom half top 10 quarterback in the league and that’s at his best. I also don’t believe he’s a guy you pay over 25 million per for because he needs so much help around him and that help cost money too. Hill on the other hand is a playmaker at the quarterback position that can make things happen outside of the help on the field. He’s an explosive athlete with a lot of arm talent. I get the age (which I don’t feel is as big a deal as many do) and his injury history. Like Teddy, Hill has great character and leadership qualities but unlike Teddy, Hill offers far more upside if it works out. The biggest issue with Hill IMO is it takes a leap of faith to side with him and personally that leap isn’t really with Taysom, it’s in Sean Payton!

The bottom line is that if Payton truly believes that Hill is the future then what we really need to ask ourselves is do we trust Payton? Your right, Payton only has 15 years with Brees to showcase his quarterback development skill as a HC, I for one do give him credit for the signing and development of Tony Romo in Dallas. I believe Payton is a great coach and great coaches don’t take players and try to fit them in their schemes, they take players with unique skill sets and build a scheme around those talents. This is why the Saints offense has looked the way it has for 15 years, it’s been built around a player who has an unbelievable ability to manipulate the pocket with his feet, be extremely accurate with his passes and process defensive information very quickly. This Saints offense has been built around Brees skill set. Once Brees is no longer around, this offense will change... why? Payton will have to adjust like great coaches do and build a scheme around another type of unique skill set so if he (Payton) believes that unique skill set is Taysom Hill... do you trust him to do it?

Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.