2020 MOCK OFF-SEASON V1

BayBubbPackFan

This off-season will hopefully be just as exciting as last off-season! Gutey's third off-season in charge, Lefluer's second as HC, and a more complete understanding of what the team needs to take that next step.

I do not believe there will be as big of a splash as last year, Gutey somewhat said that in his 2019 Season End Press Conference. Also, we do not have as much Cap Space as people have been stating in their Mock Off-Seasons. Read:  https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/what-can-the-packers-afford-in-free-agency-615     The article lays out cap issues and who the Packers could afford. With all the incentives paid out, being healthy for the year, and setting aside cap for the rookie class, it leaves $13.85mil in cap space, cutting Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor gives us $12.21mil, for a true total of $26.06mil in cap space.

I believe the focus will be put of extending Kenny Clark, retaining key players, and maybe bringing in a few low level free agents.

Team Internal:

Cuts-

Lane Taylor: Has been a great asset for Green Bay, but his time has passed.

Jimmy Graham: Father Time has completly caught up with him, and time to move on.

CAP SPACE: $26.06mil

Retain-

Bryan Bulaga: (3yr for $32mil) $10.6mil average. First year cap hit of $5.5mil. It is essentially a two year deal, most of the cap hit in the third year. 

Marcedes Lewis: (1yr for $2mil) A $1.5mil cap hit. Wants to play another year, our best blocking TE and a good veteran presence. 

Mason Crosby: (3yr for $9mil) $3mil average. First year cap hit of $2mil. 

Tramon Williams: (1yr for $3mil) A $2mil cap hit. Solid slot corner, even being 36 years old.

Tyler Ervin: (1yr for $1mil) A $885K cap hit. Cannot afford to let him go, for our Special Teams sake.

All RFA and ERFA are retained: ($1mil cap hit)

CAP SPACE: $13.175mil

Extensions:

Kenny Clark: (5yr for $65mil) A $13mil average. First year cap hit of $6mil, savings of $1.69mil for 2020 cap.

David Bakhtiari: (4yr for $70mil) Making his new contract 5yr for $84.7mil. First year cap hit of $12mil, savings of $2.7mil for 2020 cap.

CAP SPACE: $17.565mil

Free Agency:

De'Vondre Campbell, ILB: (3yr for $20mil) A $6.6mil average. First year cap hit of $4.8mil. Most people have Kwitoski from the Bears or Onwsaur from the Ravens, but I believe both will remain where they are. Campbell is a fast, strong, and smart linebacker. He played outside linebacker for the Falcons, but I think he can switch inside and thrive. 

Andrew Billings, DL: (1yr for $3.5mil) $2mil Cap Hit. Someone I liked when he came out in 2017. Provides a relief for Kenny Clark and is better than Tyler Lancaster. 

Roy Roberston-Harris, DE: (3yr for $16.5mil) A $5.5mil average. First year cap hit of $3.5mil. As a RFA Chicago would have a chance to match. Robertson-Harris would bring a tenacity to the D-Line and is an ascending player. 

I believe moves like these give the Packers a ton of flexibility when it comes to the draft; move up, down, take a luxury pick, anything.

CAP SPACE: $10.265mil

DRAFT:

1) Laviska Shenault, WR Colorado: A weapon that can line up anywhere on the field. 

2) KJ Hill, WR Ohio State: Slot receiver that can get open quickly, something we desperatley need.

*Double up on WR, don't see an OT worth taking at this point.

3) Malik Harrison, LB Ohio State: Great against the run, ok against the pass (Has the speed/agility to develope there) I hope that he is still here. 

4) Khalid Kareem, OLB Notre Dame: Keeps the OLB shelf full. Another big powerfull player. 

5) Matt Peart, OT Connecticut: Played mostly right tackle in college, but should be able to play both if needed. Bulaga's replacement.  

6a) Reggie Floyd, S Virginia Tech: Big player that could fill the S/LB role.

6b) AJ Dillon, RB Boston College: Falls a bit and we snag him up. Big bruiser, that reads blocks well. Can be put in as a full back as well. Diversity.

7a) Javaris Davis, CB Auburn: Develope into potential slot corner.

7b) Harrison Bryant, TE Florida Atlantic: A move TE, that needs to get stronger and improve his blocking.

It will take about $4mil to sign the Draft Class.

CAP SPACE: $6.265mil

Depth Chart

QB: Rodgers, Boyle

RB: Jones, Williams, Ervin, *Dillon

WR: Adams, Lazard, EQS, MVS, *Shenault, *Hill

TE: Sternberger, Lewis, Tonyan, *Bryant

OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, *Peart, Nijman

OG: Jenkins, Turner, Madison

C: Linsley, Patrick

NT: Clark, Billings

DE: Robertson-Harris, Lowery, Keke, Adams

MLB: Campbell, *Harrison, Burks,  Summers

OLB: Smith, Smith, Gary, Kareem

CB: Alexander, King, Williams, Jackson, Sullivan, *Davis, Hollman

FS: Savage, Redmond

SS: Amos, Greene, *Floyd

P: Scott

K: Crosby

• Like 2

Thoughtful analysis and realistic picks. Nice work! Maybe it is just me, but as much as most of us (me included) want Bulaga to return, I think the market for him is not going to be as high as you believe. I could be wrong, of course, but given his age and injuries my estimate is the Packers likely won't go into the $8 million range to sign him back. Probably nobody else offers that either, although it only takes one team. In case I'm right, that would add maybe $2.6 million or even a bit more to the cap. Interesting to see how it plays out.

6 hours ago, Gypsy1027 said:

Thoughtful analysis and realistic picks. Nice work! Maybe it is just me, but as much as most of us (me included) want Bulaga to return, I think the market for him is not going to be as high as you believe. I could be wrong, of course, but given his age and injuries my estimate is the Packers likely won't go into the $8 million range to sign him back. Probably nobody else offers that either, although it only takes one team. In case I'm right, that would add maybe $2.6 million or even a bit more to the cap. Interesting to see how it plays out.

Spotrac (if you think websites like that are realistic) has him projected at $10M a year. The RT market is slim pickings though (https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle/), and even though you have 4 OT prospects (Wills, Wirfs, Becton, Thomas) projected to go in the first round, they're all projected to go in the top 20 picks. So if you decide to not pay Bulaga, you're options are:

1) Pay an equally high price for another FA

2) Move up into the top 20 to select one the top 4 propects at OT

3) Take Josh Jones or Austin Jackson

4) Roll with Veldheer next season.

IMO, none of those options feel great, so re-signing Bulaga is the top priority for that reason.

Counterpoint: However, as a counterpoint, if you want to be optimistic about not re-signing Bulaga, you could make the case for 8 OTs being available in the first two rounds.

Edited by pgwingman

3 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Just saw this write up on Cambell. Not pretty. Also a 50.4pff grade

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-devondre-campbell-needs-to-be-benched/

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

Yeah, Campbell doesn’t make sense. We have a super athletic lb who doesn’t understand the position already (Burks). Don’t need another one

Hate it pile on, but this is the really the one area I thought you whiffed. Campbell was on one of the worst defenses in the league and one that is about to go through an overhaul. I read up a bit more on Harrison because I liked the prospect initially, but he's a 2 down thumper to say the least. It looks like there will be a fair amount of athletic ILB's in the latter part of the draft so I'd use one of those Day 3 picks there. I thought the rest was reasonable but double dipping on WR's for the first two rounds isn't that smart; one of those guys has to be an IDL.