2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Hes still productive and needed in the locker room. Plus I have his jersey😊

And 2 sacks always from being all time Skins sack leader. Every team in the league at one point or another has hung onto a certain player out of loyalty.

I can understand all of that but I’d rather trade him to a contender. Get something in return for once and give him a chance to win. If we do draft Young it makes Kerrigan a very high-priced rotational player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I can understand all of that but I’d rather trade him to a contender. Get something in return for once and give him a chance to win. If we do draft Young it makes Kerrigan a very high-priced rotational player. 

On second thought. At his age, the most we could probably get from him is a 5th or 6th rounder. Most of those guys are usually out of the league in a few years. It might be better to just convert his salary to a signing bonus and extend him 2 years (adding a little $) and he would then be an affordable rotational player who could fill in if the starters get injured.

On 2/20/2020 at 5:17 PM, LoganF89 said:

If Littlejohns contract garnered a 4th round comp I believe that would still cancel out Scherff s 3rd if we sign the same amount of FAs that we also lose

This is correct, as I understand. 

The number of comp picks you can get is equal to your net loss of qualifying FAs. So if you lose 6 and sign 4, you’re eligible for 2 comp picks. And so on. That’s how you determine each team’s quantity — and the quality of the players doesn’t really matter (for the most part, though I believe you can still earn a “net loss” comp pick if you broke even and you lost much better FAs than you signed). You could lose 3 stars for $15M AAV and sign 4 JAGs for $3M AAV, you’re still not getting any comp picks for that offseason.

Once you’ve determined how many picks a team is entitled to, it’s only at that point that you pivot and look at the “quality” of players gained and lost. That’s where the canceling out comes into play, in determining which lost players you will actually get picks for. 

It will probably be pretty difficult for the Redskins to garner much in the way of comp picks this offseason. It wouldn’t be a priority of mine, honestly, because our group of UFAs this offseason...well...let’s just say it’s not real appealing. Aside from Scherff, you’ve got Ereck Flowers, Chris Thompson, and the two backup QBs. The latter 3 to me are clearly 6th/7th round level FAs at best — obviously not worth building an offseason around making sure we land those. And in order to get picks that matter, we’d have to (A) let Scherff and Flowers walk, opening a huge hole at OG; (B) sign less than 5 qualifying UFAs to new contracts; and (C) not sign anyone good enough to qualify for a 3rd/4th round comp pick, because otherwise they’d cancel Scherff or Flowers out anyway. 

In other words, I think it would probably do more harm than good if we tried to finagle this offseason to maximize our comp pick takeaway.

• Like 4

I just don’t think we’re good enough to get excited about compensation picks. For teams like us who are years behind others, all Bruce Allen did was create holes on a roster that couldn’t afford them chasing compensation picks. Or he’d simply cancel them out with horrible free agent signings i.e. Richardson. 

• Like 2

I think that playing for compensation picks is a game for losers.  Because it almost always means that when you balance out the equation you are losing valued talent or cap space.  The only situation this ever works is in the case of a team like the patriots where veteran players flock to the team and sign up to be underpaid because they want to chase rings.  Not to mention they have a qb so talented that they surround him with averageness and he covers it all up.  If you don't have a rare situation like that, then getting comp picks likely meant you lost more than you gained.  

Look no further than last year.  Everyone celebrated the 3rd round comp pick like we won something.  First of all, it is really only a high 4th pick.  We got that because Bruce Allen was so stupid that he refused to trade Cousins for a 1st round pick.  Then we had to go spend a massive bundle of cap space and a starting slot corner to acquire an elderly qb who could only make it through half a season.  By the end of that season we needed a qb and we still need a starting slot corner.  

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

This is correct, as I understand. 

The number of comp picks you can get is equal to your net loss of qualifying FAs. So if you lose 6 and sign 4, you’re eligible for 2 comp picks. And so on. That’s how you determine each team’s quantity — and the quality of the players doesn’t really matter (for the most part, though I believe you can still earn a “net loss” comp pick if you broke even and you lost much better FAs than you signed). You could lose 3 stars for $15M AAV and sign 4 JAGs for $3M AAV, you’re still not getting any comp picks for that offseason.

Once you’ve determined how many picks a team is entitled to, it’s only at that point that you pivot and look at the “quality” of players gained and lost. That’s where the canceling out comes into play, in determining which lost players you will actually get picks for. 

It will probably be pretty difficult for the Redskins to garner much in the way of comp picks this offseason. It wouldn’t be a priority of mine, honestly, because our group of UFAs this offseason...well...let’s just say it’s not real appealing. Aside from Scherff, you’ve got Ereck Flowers, Chris Thompson, and the two backup QBs. The latter 3 to me are clearly 6th/7th round level FAs at best — obviously not worth building an offseason around making sure we land those. And in order to get picks that matter, we’d have to (A) let Scherff and Flowers walk, opening a huge hole at OG; (B) sign less than 5 qualifying UFAs to new contracts; and (C) not sign anyone good enough to qualify for a 3rd/4th round comp pick, because otherwise they’d cancel Scherff or Flowers out anyway. 

In other words, I think it would probably do more harm than good if we tried to finagle this offseason to maximize our comp pick takeaway.

Just a clarification.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

It goes into how the round valuation happens (that is the inexact science behind it that no one has a clue as to which player will go where). Once the rounds are done, this is how the cancellation works.

So @LoganF89, see #3. I think that is why in your scenario that they cancelled each other out.

1. A CFA gained by a team cancels out the highest-valued available CFA lost that has the same round valuation of the CFA gained.
  2. If there is no available CFA lost in the same round as the CFA gained, the CFA gained will instead cancel out the highest-available CFA lost with a lower round value.
  3. A CFA gained will only cancel out a CFA lost with a higher draft order if there are no other CFAs lost available to cancel out.

Any team that has more CFAs lost than CFAs gained will then be eligible for compensatory picks for the CFAs lost that were not cancelled out by CFAs gained.

That being said. I agree with you E. This is not a good year to try to rely on getting comp picks. The value we will get for these guys is not gonna be more than keeping them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I'm pretty sold on wanting PJ Walker of the Houston Roughnecks to be Haskins’ back up next year. Either him it Cardale Jones, but I lean towards Walker. I like the guy, he's seems like a special playmaker.

Walker has had like 10 dropped interceptions in this game alone. I’d rather bring the former Hokie Cam Phillips aboard. 

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Walker has had like 10 dropped interceptions in this game alone. I’d rather bring the former Hokie Cam Phillips aboard. 

Cam Phillips is a WR. Why can't we bring in both for workouts?

Also, Eli Rogers & Rashad Ross would probably challenge for back up WR spots on our team too.

If we want a WR with size, Dan Williams of the Vipers or Sammie Coats are guys we could look at also. Not sure if either can beat out Cam Sims but competition never hurt.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I'm pretty sold on wanting PJ Walker of the Houston Roughnecks to be Haskins’ back up next year. Either him it Cardale Jones, but I lean towards Walker. I like the guy, he's seems like a special playmaker.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I for one would like to see Cardale come in for a chance to play as haskins backup, they are both relatively the same build, (cardale a little more out of shape) but have a lot of simialr characteristics to where if Haskins went down you wouldnt really have to change the offense 

• Like 1

Cory Littleton  4 yrs/50m  12.5/yr Best cover LB in FA, big need

James Bradberry 4 yrs/50m  12.5/yr Went against top WR in the game and held his own  Former RR player

Tre Boston 4 yrs/30m  7.5/yr  Good safety Position of need and former RR player

Blake Jarwin 4 yrs/30m 7.5/yr  Played well when he had the chance to play  I believe low risk and high reward  Not ready to pay Austin Hooper 11m/yr

Ereck Flowers 4yrs/48 12m/yr  Played well, should be signed

Brandon Scherff- Don’t want to sign him to a new contract  Played only 19 games in the last 2 yrs Disappointed me that he never was able to play RT  I believe Wes Martin can fill in for him  Franchising him would cost 15m  Not sure what I would do  

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

18 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

James Bradberry 4 yrs/50m  12.5/yr Went against top WR in the game and held his own  Former RR player

Blake Jarwin 4 yrs/30m 7.5/yr  Played well when he had the chance to play  I believe low risk and high reward  Not ready to pay Austin Hooper 11m/yr

Brandon Scherff- Don’t want to sign him to a new contract  Played only 19 games in the last 2 yrs Disappointed me that he never was able to play RT  I believe Wes Martin can fill in for him  Franchising him would cost 15m  Not sure what I would do  

Too much money/years being thrown at Boston, Jarwin and Flowers IMO. I'm not saying Jarwin can't be a starter, but he hasn't ever proven he can be yet. You don’t just throw $30 million and $7.5 million a year at a guy who has been a backup level player his entire career. How is that a low risk signing? That's a very, very high risk to pay a guy who been a back up level TE starting TE money when he hasn't consistently proven he can play at that level. I would pay him about half of what you are offering, same with Flowers & Boston. 

I can go either way with Scherff, but considering we now have $63 million in cap space, I don't see any reason to not franchise him at the least and see if he has a better/healthier season this year and then determine if you want to re-sign him long term next February based off what he does in the 2020 season.

Basically, I’d treat him like I want them to treat Dunny except Dunny is under contract already.

Edited by turtle28

23 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

all of those yearly average seem pretty high to be honest. Bradberry and Littlejohn could make that in a bidding war but i think both get paid avout 10 mil per.

too many years on the Boston contract, hes played on 1 year deals the last 3 years

way too much for Jarwin who has done nothing

and your essentially paying ereck flowers what williams will make next year. I think he gets around 7-8