2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the overall consensus is that the DE/premiere pass rusher in today's NFL is the 2nd most important position on the field, whereas, in your example, a RB seems to be a dime a dozen and easily replaceable. So maybe you do want a Porsche there at DE? 

I would say QB, LT, Edge in that order

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I used to. The game has changed me over the past two years. 

I think having a good OL unit overall is probably the 2nd most important aspect of a team.

But one guy (even an LT) can’t make your OL dominant if the other 4 are mediocre. One pass-rusher, however, can change everything. See, e.g., Khalil Mack to Bears. Even if you kept him in one spot on every down, he can force the offense to adjust to ensure that he’s controlled. But beyond that, you can move him. You can shift him to the defensive left side and let him work on an RT, or even kick him inside and let him work against interior OL (as Minnesota did in the playoffs).

Even a team with an elite LT can’t necessarily harness your stud pass-rusher, especially if you scheme him well, and that’s why I think that makes him the second most important individual player you can have. A great OL unit might trump one great pass-rusher, but not just one member of an OL unit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think having a good OL unit overall is probably the 2nd most important aspect of a team.

But one guy (even an LT) can’t make your OL dominant if the other 4 are mediocre. One pass-rusher, however, can change everything. See, e.g., Khalil Mack to Bears. Even if you kept him in one spot on every down, he can force the offense to adjust to ensure that he’s controlled. But beyond that, you can move him. You can shift him to the defensive left side and let him work on an RT, or even kick him inside and let him work against interior OL (as Minnesota did in the playoffs).

Even a team with an elite LT can’t necessarily harness your stud pass-rusher, especially if you scheme him well, and that’s why I think that makes him the second most important individual player you can have. A great OL unit might trump one great pass-rusher, but not just one member of an OL unit. 

Correct.

For me? It goes (in order)...

1. QB
  2. Guy that kills the QB
  3. Guy that keeps the QB from getting killed
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

I get that, but you could also say my star LT allows me to double your star pass rusher when he lines up over anyone other than the LT, allowing my OL unit to contain the DL. It goes back and forth. I’d take the star LT anyday over an edge. You can scheme pressure. Not having a left tackle usually leaves an offense looking clueless

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

I get that, but you could also say my star LT allows me to double your star pass rusher when he lines up over anyone other than the LT, allowing my OL unit to contain the DL. It goes back and forth. I’d take the star LT anyday over an edge. You can scheme pressure. Not having a left tackle usually leaves an offense looking clueless

Chiefs without a Elite OLine beat the Elite DLine of the 49er's. What more proof do people need? 

13 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Chiefs without a Elite OLine beat the Elite DLine of the 49er's. What more proof do people need? 

Probably more than one single game 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Titans, with a scrap heap QB, beat the MVP QB of the Ravens. Should we throw away everything else we know about QBs simply because Ryan Tannehill beat Lamar Jackson in one playoff game?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Probably more than one single game 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Titans, with a scrap heap QB, beat the MVP QB of the Ravens. Should we throw away everything else we know about QBs simply because Ryan Tannehill beat Lamar Jackson in one playoff game?

No it should show the Ravens they need to get Lamar some more weapons. 

Edited by Skins212689

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I remember back when the fanbase went nuts drafting Scherff over Leonard Williams -- McCloughan voiced it was important to draft franchise guys who want to be leaders and stick with your team for the long haul.  Kinda cool looking back and seeing Leonard no longer in NYJ -- guess we'll see what Scherff plans to do. 

Edited by tredaddy
  • Like 2

On 2/24/2020 at 1:18 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Hooper concerns me.  It's one thing for him to be the fourth option behind Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley and D'Vonta Freeman with Matt Ryan throwing him the football.  It's going to be another to be #2 behind Terry McLaurin with a second-year Dwayne Haskins throwing him the football.  Hooper is going to get top 5 money for the position, if not become the highest paid TE, and to me, he hasn't proven to be worth that.  

Though I will say, if we overspend on anyone, I'd rather it be Hooper.  It is rare for someone his age and skillset to hit free agency.  It's just going to be a risky signing.  

Every free agency signing is a risk, just as every draft selection is a risk. I agree with your last paragraph. He’s young and has the skill set to be successful. I’m not overly concerned though, if he can catch a pass, he can catch a pass. I don’t think he’ll be seeing much more coverage then he did in Atlanta. Teams rarely double team TEs. Terry will be getting most of the attention, and if Steve Sims continues to ascend in the slot, he may start to draw a lot of attention the way that Crowder used to. If that happens - and I predict it will - that should open up room for Hooper as he goes 1 on 1 vs linebackers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

No it should show the Ravens they need to get Lamar some more weapons. 

They have tons of weapons. They have one of the NFL’s best running backs - their running game fell apart when Mark Ingram got injured, no surprise there. They have Marquise “Hollywood” Brown who they took in the first round last year - AB’s cousin from Oklahoma. He was awesome as a rookie WR (7 TDs in 14 starts) and Mark Andrews (64 recs, 852 yds, 10 TDs) who was one of the NFL’s best tight ends and was constantly open in the middle of the field bc when Lamar play faked, it sucked the linebackers up to stop the run. Also, they have Hayden Hurst who was a 1st round TE they took the same year as Andrews.

I guess they could use an upgrade at #2 WR but their offense runs the ball so much  and throws to the TEs, it might be a waste of an investment.