2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Agreed, but who starts at FS if all you're willing to sign in FA is Bradberry or Fuller?  I think it's imperative to get an upgrade over Monte at FS this offseason.  And no, Apke definitely does not qualify.

The way I see things is we aren’t winning the super bowl next year. We don’t need to go stir crazy trying to fill every hole the team has. Put Apke out there and see if he was a wasted pick. If he sucks, so be it. You cut him the following season and move on. We tried Geron Christian and found out he’s horrible so at least now we can move on. Do the same with Apke. 

Unless you can find a way to get Winfield in the third round. But I’m also of the opinion that Delpit is going to plummet. Like, mid to late second round plummet and we could possibly trade up and nab him. He’s the guy I have falling this year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The way I see things is we aren’t winning the super bowl next year. We don’t need to go stir crazy trying to fill every hole the team has. Put Apke out there and see if he was a wasted pick. If he sucks, so be it. You cut him the following season and move on. We tried Geron Christian and found out he’s horrible so at least now we can move on. Do the same with Apke. 

Unless you can find a way to get Winfield in the third round. But I’m also of the opinion that Delpit is going to plummet. Like, mid to late second round plummet and we could possibly trade up and nab him. He’s the guy I have falling this year. 

I can't agree with this line of thinking.  If Haskins is the guy moving forward, we only have him on a relatively cheap deal for the next 4 years (really 3 years, because the 5th year option won't be cheap).  This is our window.  We may not win the SB next year, but if we make the right FA moves, get production out of our draft picks, and have our young players progress (especially Haskins), we can definitely make the playoffs.  And anything can happen from there.

If we want a guy who is very good in coverage but a terrible tackler, we may as well sign Tre Boston to a mid-level FA deal rather than trading up for Delpit.

My ideal free agency signing at FS would be Anthony Harris, but I'd be fine with Jimmie Ward, Adrian Phillips, or Boston if we signed Jones or Bradberry at CB.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2020 at 6:23 PM, Skins212689 said:

Ok so you make the Free Agent decisions I suggested and my scenerio makes perfect sense. With better leadership and focus on winning under Rivera, Washington is a place to sign.

They have a young QB in Haskins with other young pieces on offense and defense that looked like a up and coming team at the end of last year. Rivera has a impact in why Olsen, Boston, and Bradberry come here. Rivera also said that TE is a need. Rivera wants Williams back and has stated they need to protect the QB. Here comes in resigning Flowers and Scherff or resigning only Flowers and finding a replacement via the draft in a trade for Scherff. Idk if Trent gets a extention but I do see him on the team next year. AJ Green gets a opportunity to revive his name after a full year off playing with a 1st round QB in Haskins. His injury history affecting the deal he signs. He adds that #1 Vet leadership to add with the younger McLaruin, Harmon, and Sims. Similar to with the Begals who have John Ross and Tyler Boyd. Washington under Rivera arw better than a 3-13 team. Add his guidance plus talent we saw what happen with the Panthers. Players will want to play for Rivera. 

You change the culture by working with the team that you have currently.  Rivera isn't going to go stir-crazy in free agency for year one.  He might get a big ticket item like Landon Collins last season, but he's also going to look with guys he is familiar with to help in the locker room to help build the culture.  I may not like the moves he made for coaching, but I absolutely see the need to bring in some players who are familiar with Rivera and his style of leadership.  

You don't build the culture by spending all of your cap space on free agents and going all-in year one.  You have to establish the base, and then bring in players who are going to buy into it.  You don't bring in 1/5th of the roster from other places and try to set the culture with them, where they have all sorts of ideas what it should be like based off where they played before.  We tried that already in 2004 and it still took until 2005 for things to work themselves out, and that was with Joe Gibbs.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You change the culture by working with the team that you have currently.  Rivera isn't going to go stir-crazy in free agency for year one.  He might get a big ticket item like Landon Collins last season, but he's also going to look with guys he is familiar with to help in the locker room to help build the culture.  I may not like the moves he made for coaching, but I absolutely see the need to bring in some players who are familiar with Rivera and his style of leadership.  

You don't build the culture by spending all of your cap space on free agents and going all-in year one.  You have to establish the base, and then bring in players who are going to buy into it.  You don't bring in 1/5th of the roster from other places and try to set the culture with them, where they have all sorts of ideas what it should be like based off where they played before.  We tried that already in 2004 and it still took until 2005 for things to work themselves out, and that was with Joe Gibbs.  

2000 Redskins, 2011 Eagles and 2019 Browns are the poster child’s as to why you don’t go crazy with free agent signings and trades for vets in one offseason to try to win it all for that year but hurt the chemistry of the team which is the reason they won the year before.

19 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Did you see the guys I suggested bringing in? 3 were former players who Rivera coached. AJ Green fits Rivera Culture. 

On 2/5/2020 at 11:35 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

We are OK with treating this thread as a free agency prediction thread, as well as tracking visits and rumors.  However, Webby's rule with us is that we create as many threads as possible.  So I would expect every signing to get a thread and discussion happens there.  It really does make a difference from the perspective of lurkers, guests and the folks who don't come by as often- they don't need to look hard to find a discussion topic.  

This ^^

Guys, I'm pinning this particular thread.

BUT...if we want to discuss a particular signing, that needs to have its own separate discussion.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2020 at 11:26 PM, Doc Draper said:

Can we convince Luke to give us a year at MLB then move him to coaching LB’s. Write it down- he’s the next Mike Vrabel and will be a very successful HC if he chooses to pursue it. 

Personally, Kuechly is in the Jordan Reed category for me. I want to see them both play but they both have major concussion issues and I don’t want to see either of them not wake up on the NFL field after a hit.

Edited by turtle28

On 2/8/2020 at 11:26 PM, Doc Draper said:

Can we convince Luke to give us a year at MLB then move him to coaching LB’s. Write it down- he’s the next Mike Vrabel and will be a very successful HC if he chooses to pursue it. 

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Personally, Kuechly is in the Jordan Reed category for me. I want to see them both play but they both have major concussion issues and I don’t want to see either of them not wake up on the NFC held after a hit.

If he did come out of retirement wouldnt the panthers still hold his rights since he was under contract? Thats like saying Trent Williams retired last season and now wants to come out of a retirement and sign with another team

Edited by LoganF89

I know we have talked about TE position in free agency with Hooper and Henry and maybe Ebron but I know some of you guys will probably think I’m crazy but I think the TE who would be a nice pickup and definitely won’t cost as much would be Blake Jarwin. He’s a big target who gets open and gives us a red zone threat and doesn’t have an injury history. Pretty good blocker as well. 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, lavar703 said:

What assets do we have to trade up and get Delpit with?

And I’m curious as to why you see him falling to the mid/late second round. He’s got good skills for a safety.

39 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I know we have talked about TE position in free agency with Hooper and Henry and maybe Ebron but I know some of you guys will probably think I’m crazy but I think the TE who would be a nice pickup and definitely won’t cost as much would be Blake Jarwin. He’s a big target who gets open and gives us a red zone threat and doesn’t have an injury history. Pretty good blocker as well. 

Meh, he’s a blocking TE/back up TE. I wouldn’t mind signing him to compete with Sprinkle, but I’d certainly want to do more then just sign Blake Jarwin.