2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I am not trashing anyone, just pointing out what has been pretty obvious as to how Lavar has reacted to every single thing the team has done since free agency started. 

As I said, I understand being upset, but his reactions seem over the top to me and it’s in every thread. 

Saying players suck or are trash when it’s not true, any other log on the fire he can throw around to blow up a thread. It’s overkill.

I’m not happy that they didn’t sign Hooper, Littleton & a few other players I wanted too but there’s a difference between being upset and moving on and clearly not being able to accept what has happened and move on.

Tell me where I’m wrong? Besides Fuller or Davis, who have we signed that isn’t injury prone or doesn’t suck? 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Tell me where I’m wrong? Besides Fuller or Davis, who have we signed that isn’t injury prone or doesn’t suck? 

Oh, now you’re including Davis? You’re already staring to fold!

You know what I think. We’ve had these conversations I’m done talking about it. WE WILL NOT AGREE!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh, now you’re including Davis? You’re already staring to fold!

You know what I think. We’ve had these conversations I’m done talking about it. WE WILL NOT AGREE!!!!!!!!!

I said yesterday Thomas Davis was a stud. He’s old as all hell and makes no sense whatsoever for this roster but he doesn’t suck. Sean Davis on the other hand is terrible. Along with the two TEs and two OL we’ve signed. 

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

But most Redskins fans have said all we need to do since 2010 was switch back to the 4-3 and we’d have a good defense again. So, it’s going to be automatic!

The Ravens went from a top 3 4-3 unit to a unit ranked in the 20's when they switched to the 3-4, and they had some great coaches and talent on that staff.  The Broncos switched back to a 4-3 when drafting Von Miller, and they didn't climb past 20.  

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I said yesterday Thomas Davis was a stud. He’s old as all hell and makes no sense whatsoever for this roster but he doesn’t suck. Sean Davis on the other hand is terrible. Along with the two TEs and two OL we’ve signed. 

You do not know what you’re talking about in regards to Sean Davis. I’m not saying he’s some great player but he’s going to be a huge upgrade over Monte Nicholson and Davis’ play will be equivalent to the play we got from Swearinger IMO. 

I see absolutely no reason to hate the signing. 

I see no reason to hate the other signings either other then you’d wish they’d do more then just signing guys who are more back up level player/borderline starters.

A lot of the players we are signing are cheap vets for depth. My opinion is you’re overreacting to their signings. I’m upset they haven’t signed a few other players who would be real upgrades that are still out there or that we missed on, but on the flip side I have been very interested in seeing all of our young players get to play a lot this year so Rivera and company can evaluate them for the future and for us to see if they can be answers.

That’s where I’m a at. I’m not overreacting to some of these players we’ve signed bc I don’t even know if some of them - like the guard we signed today - will even make the roster and it’s my opinion that he won’t. 

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Ravens went from a top 3 4-3 unit to a unit ranked in the 20's when they switched to the 3-4, and they had some great coaches and talent on that staff.  The Broncos switched back to a 4-3 when drafting Von Miller, and they didn't climb past 20.  

I should have put an Lol or something, bc I was joking kind of. I do think our D will be better this year but I don’t think it’s going to be largely bc of switching to the 4-3, I think it will be mostly bc of talent & the development of our young talent.

For example, when we draft Chase Young, you basically can’t even compare the defense we’ve had in previous years to that our D will be this year bc of how much better Chase will be then the other players we’ve had before him rushing the passer.

So to me, the D would be better bc of talent, not just bc of scheme change.

22 hours ago, offbyone said:

I don't think we got worse, but it would be fair to say that we haven't made any significant improvement and the majority of the moves are short term.  It isn't over yet though.  I hope we use this cap space to secure our own long termGive Scherff a long term deal.  Extend a couple guys.  

I also assume we are still signing a CB.  Breeland, Rhodes, Ryan would all be equal to dunbar in skill.  We will just pay more than what Dunbar would have cost.  I sure hope we don't sign one on a short term deal though.  That will piss me off.  Make a commitment longer than a year for god sakes. 

Agreed. Especially the bolded

8 hours ago, e16bball said:

There's nothing wrong with this. It's exactly what you'd expect a new coach to do.

But the thing is, there are certain positions (TE and FS being the chief among them, although I personally would also include MLB) where a blind man could have seen in mere moments that there is no realistic answer on the roster. Those are massive, gaping black holes, and there's absolutely no need to take a lot of time or get in the trenches in order to figure that out.

So if you know you're absolutely going to have to address those positions -- and you also know that you're going to follow the patient strategy you outlined above with regard to the positions (like WR, LB, OG, etc.) where you have some potential keepers you want to try to work with and develop -- why wouldn't you be even more aggressive in trying to fill those unquestionable holes? You've got tons of cap space, and you're not intending to use it to fill all the holes (like WR, LB, OG, etc.), so you could splurge at those absolutely empty positions to try to get a real answer.

And instead of going hard to bring on a duo of Hooper at TE and Boston/Randall at FS, guys that could be long-term answers, they went after half-measures. We got a couple camp fodder TEs in Logan Thomas and Richard Rodgers to compete with Sprinkle and Hentges, and we got a one-year reclamation project in Sean Davis at FS. Why go so weak at those spots? There's no one on the roster to evaluate, there's no one to try to develop, there's no amount of evaluation or patience or in-person meetings that is going to turn those lumps of coal into diamonds.

I think that's what bugs people. Wait around to see what Sims/Harmon,Guice/Love, Wes Martin, Cole Holcomb, SDH, etc. turn into? That's cool. Maybe we've got some foundation pieces in that group. But the cupboard is bare at TE and FS, and instead of paying market price for a couple filling meals, they decided to stock it with a couple off-brand granola bars and a half-eaten bag of chips.

79b0ef4c1f9a9f0467e2c73740943f74.gif

Good & Great players don’t want to sign on a 3-13 team w/ a new HC. Gotta throw that into the equation. 

The Redskins have a lot of work to do - after a decade of Bruce Allen - to rebuild the brand, the trust and the teams competitiveness in all areas, including in free agency.

Its not going to happen overnight. It was probably very unrealistic for any of us to think we were going to be major players this free agency.

And, all of that may not be Ron or the front office’s fault.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Good & Great players don’t want to sign on a 3-13 team w/ a new HC. Gotta throw that into the equation. 

Players sign with crappy teams every off season.  There are lots of new head coaches every year, this doesn't stop teams from doing business.  

Sure players looking at their final contract tend to sign with contenders.  But long term deals are made every year on crappy teams with new coaches.  Otherwise the crappy teams would never get better.  I think we get a ton better with just better coaching.  But why not improve our personnel too?  

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Players sign with crappy teams every off season.  There are lots of new head coaches every year, this doesn't stop teams from doing business.  

Sure players looking at their final contract tend to sign with contenders.  But long term deals are made every year on crappy teams with new coaches.  Otherwise the crappy teams would never get better.  I think we get a ton better with just better coaching.  But why not improve our personnel too?  

Not when given a pretty equal deal as we saw with Hooper choosing the Browns over us and Cooper choosing to stay with the Cowboys over us.

7 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Sean Davis made the NFL 2016 All Rookie Team. To keep repeating he sucks is annoying and wrong. He's about an average player.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Fair points. Change is always difficult. One of the potential mitigating factors averting a decline in the defensive performance as they implement the switch is the significant upgrade in the coaching staff. We should watch this.

In 2019 our PFF defensive ranking 27th so you’re projecting we will be 28-32? I don’t think so even with the defensive switch.

but I’m a data guy. Let’s see how it plays out.

data-startrek-datass-checking-out-girl-1

• Like 1