2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

Ugh math is off (still groggy from the virus).

The $11m this year would be $1m salary and $10m signing bonus.

He'd have $1m salaries in 2021 and 2022 but no guaranteed $

So the $10m would be amortized over the three years (not $8m like I stated above).

Total new deal would be $13m which includes the $10m signing bonus (which was converted from his salary)

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Ugh math is off (still groggy from the virus).

The $11m this year would be $1m salary and $10m signing bonus.

He'd have $1m salaries in 2021 and 2022 but no guaranteed $

So the $10m would be amortized over the three years (not $8m like I stated above).

Total new deal would be $13m which includes the $10m signing bonus (which was converted from his salary)

Keeping Kerrigan on the downside of his career doesn't sit well with me.  I'm also trying to figure out the rotation if we do go with Chase Young.  Considering Young to be on the team, we have beyond an embarrassment of riches for pass-rushing.  

In a 4-3, you primarily want the pass-rush generated from the defensive line.  That is what you see from the Eagles and the Vikings, two teams with established defensive systems from very good coordinators.  In the 3-4, you rush the three down linemen, with the benefit being that you can also pass-rush from any of the other linebacker positions.  There is more scheming involved.  I know there are some packages where you could line up five people with our front, but I imagine that is going to be few and far between.  So looking at who we have: 

DE Chase Young

DE Montez Sweat

DT Jonathan Allen

DT DaRon Payne

DT Tim Settle

DT Matt Ioannidis 

DE Ryan Kerrigan 

The easy ones to address here are Young and Sweat.  I see them as obvious starters from Week 1.  Young is a plug and play guy immediately, and Sweat had a great second half.  Tim Settle is a traditional nose tackle, and will get reps in short yardage situations.  

So that leaves Payne, Allen, Kerrigan and Ioannidis.  Payne has largely played the nose tackle role, but has generated pretty good pass-rush numbers from that spot.  Allen was versatile in his role, but Ioannidis led the team in sacks last season with 8.5 as well as snaps played along the defensive line (73%) and he is starting Year One of what looks to be a bargain extension.  Kerrigan likely looks like he could be a rotational guy to swap out with Young and Sweat.  

There is someone from this group who can probably get traded and net us a pick or player in return to help solve another problem spot on the roster, especially since we are missing the second round pick from the Sweat trade.  The question is, who do you move?  And what roles can the others fill?  Because before I looked at who we had left, body type, etc, I thought the easy answer was Kerrigan.  Now?  Not so much.  

Resign Scherff and reconcile with Trent. $ will solve it but hate writing Trent because he’s so overrated and injury prone/ but need him if we want success in 20. 

My wish list in order of priority

QB Bridgewater- familiar and successful with Turner system. We need an experienced vet to compete and let the best man win the job. If you don’t have two high quality QB’s you’re a injury away from a bad season 

FB: Andy Janovich- we’ve been a terrible running team and our schemes were pathetic. Turner needs and uses a blocking full back who can catch coming out of the backfield. It’s essential to sign an experienced good fullback

CB: bradberry- Carolina north. He’s a no brainer

TE- Olsen. You see a trend? He’s got a year of gas left in the tank

T/G- Goode- he’s a big value as tackle/guardand is a better right tackle and cheaper than Moses. 
G- Van Roten. Carolina north. Underrated guard who can play both guards and is a big improvement over Flowers( who was a pleasant surprise), but just so limited and slow 

C- Finney- tough run blocker and can be had for reasonable starting contract. Center is a position of weakness now as our guy can’t run block a lick. 

yeah we need a WR, S, ILB but we need these others more and can draft the BPA for depth and development, 

Edited by Doc Draper

12 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Keeping Kerrigan on the downside of his career doesn't sit well with me.  I'm also trying to figure out the rotation if we do go with Chase Young.  Considering Young to be on the team, we have beyond an embarrassment of riches for pass-rushing.  

In a 4-3, you primarily want the pass-rush generated from the defensive line.  That is what you see from the Eagles and the Vikings, two teams with established defensive systems from very good coordinators.  In the 3-4, you rush the three down linemen, with the benefit being that you can also pass-rush from any of the other linebacker positions.  There is more scheming involved.  I know there are some packages where you could line up five people with our front, but I imagine that is going to be few and far between.  So looking at who we have: 

DE Chase Young

DE Montez Sweat

DT Jonathan Allen

DT DaRon Payne

DT Tim Settle

DT Matt Ioannidis 

DE Ryan Kerrigan 

The easy ones to address here are Young and Sweat.  I see them as obvious starters from Week 1.  Young is a plug and play guy immediately, and Sweat had a great second half.  Tim Settle is a traditional nose tackle, and will get reps in short yardage situations.  

So that leaves Payne, Allen, Kerrigan and Ioannidis.  Payne has largely played the nose tackle role, but has generated pretty good pass-rush numbers from that spot.  Allen was versatile in his role, but Ioannidis led the team in sacks last season with 8.5 as well as snaps played along the defensive line (73%) and he is starting Year One of what looks to be a bargain extension.  Kerrigan likely looks like he could be a rotational guy to swap out with Young and Sweat.  

There is someone from this group who can probably get traded and net us a pick or player in return to help solve another problem spot on the roster, especially since we are missing the second round pick from the Sweat trade.  The question is, who do you move?  And what roles can the others fill?  Because before I looked at who we had left, body type, etc, I thought the easy answer was Kerrigan.  Now?  Not so much.  

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having arguably the best down 4 rotation in the NFL with the versatility to have different packages based on down and distance. I’ve went over this before how we could rotate these DL, keep them fresh and dominate almost every OL in the NFL save probably the Cowboys.

Run Downs/1st down/2nd & 3rd & short:

RDE: Young/Sweat

UT: Ioannidis 

NT: Payne/Settle

LDE: Jon Allen/Kerrigan

Passing downs 2nd & long, 3rd & long/nickel:

RDE: Young/Sweat

UT: Ioannidis/Allen

NT: Payne/Ioannidis 

LDE: Kerrigan/Young/Sweat

That’s a heck of a rotation to have for both run downs & passing downs. We can rotate all these guys to keep them fresh like how they usually start off the game but then they wear down as the game goes on, but they wouldn’t wear down as much bc of this rotation.

Kerrigan is currently the only high dollar guy in our front 4. And, while most of us don’t like it bc we’d value a draft pick and the cap space of moving on from Kerrigan now, they could restructure Kerrigan’s contract to give him a few more years, turn his base salary into a signing bonus so he gets his $ upfront and prorate that out over 3 years so he finishes his career as a Redskin.

So, Kerrigan doesn’t hurt the ability in our salary cap to sign an upgrade a LB, CB & FS in my eyes.

Edited by turtle28

On 2/16/2020 at 12:33 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

DE Chase Young

DE Montez Sweat

DT Jonathan Allen

DT DaRon Payne

DT Tim Settle

DT Matt Ioannidis 

DE Ryan Kerrigan 

Well it would depend on the rotation.  Let's look at the defensive snap counts from the previous two years:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2019-snap-counts.htm 

Matt Ioannidis - 827 (73.06%)

Da'Ron Payne - 758 (66.96%)

Montez Sweat - 724 (63.96%)

Jon Allen - 722 (63.78%)

Ryan Kerrigan - 642 (56.71%)

Ryan Anderson - 559 (49.38%)

Tim Settle - 314 (27.74%)

Treyvon Hester - 132 (11.66%)

Nate Orchard - 118 (10.42%)

Noah Spence - 85 (7.51%)

Others - 43 + 15 + 8 + 3

Total Dline snaps: 4,950

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018-snap-counts.htm

Preston Smith - 834 (80.74%)

Ryan Kerrigan - 819 (79.28%)

Da'Ron Payne - 796 (77.06%)

Jon Allen - 779 (75.41%)

Matt Ioannidis - 439 (42.50%)

Pernell McPhee - 203 (19.65%)

Ryan Anderson - 163 (15.78%)

Stacy McGee - 137 (13.26%)

Tim Settle - 134 (12.97%)

Ziggy Hood - 49 (4.74%)

Others - 37 + 9

Total Dline snaps: 4,399

So the spread between the two seasons is about 550 snaps.  Just to clarify, the defense only played about 1,000 to 1,100 snaps each season, the numbers shown are the snaps amongst all dlineman on the field.  

So it looks like there are about 4,750 defensive line snaps to go around.  Let's make a projection on what could be available for Kerrigan:

Snap Count Projection - 2020 Season

Total snaps - 4,750

Sweat - 825

Young - 825

Payne - 800

Allen - 775

Ioannidis - 500

Anderson - 200

Others - 100

Remainder - 725 snaps

So that leaves 725ish snaps available for Kerrigan, or you could put some more towards Ioannidis (I lowered his snap count from this year because I don't think he will get as much playing time in a 4-3 alignment).  Even if you give 200 more snaps to Ioannidis, that still leaves 525 snaps for Kerrigan, which would still be a significant role.  Also, these projections do not take into consideration injuries, which could thrust Kerrigan back into the starting lineup.  

I think its definitely viable to retain Kerrigan and play him if we want to.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

Well it would depend on the rotation.  Let's look at the defensive snap counts from the previous two years:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2019-snap-counts.htm 

Matt Ioannidis - 827 (73.06%)

Da'Ron Payne - 758 (66.96%)

Montez Sweat - 724 (63.96%)

Jon Allen - 722 (63.78%)

Ryan Kerrigan - 642 (56.71%)

Ryan Anderson - 559 (49.38%)

Tim Settle - 314 (27.74%)

Treyvon Hester - 132 (11.66%)

Nate Orchard - 118 (10.42%)

Noah Spence - 85 (7.51%)

Others - 43 + 15 + 8 + 3

Total Dline snaps: 4,950

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2018-snap-counts.htm

Preston Smith - 834 (80.74%)

Ryan Kerrigan - 819 (79.28%)

Da'Ron Payne - 796 (77.06%)

Jon Allen - 779 (75.41%)

Matt Ioannidis - 439 (42.50%)

Pernell McPhee - 203 (19.65%)

Ryan Anderson - 163 (15.78%)

Stacy McGee - 137 (13.26%)

Tim Settle - 134 (12.97%)

Ziggy Hood - 49 (4.74%)

Others - 37 + 9

Total Dline snaps: 4,399

So the spread between the two seasons is about 550 snaps.  Just to clarify, the defense only played about 1,000 to 1,100 snaps each season, the numbers shown are the snaps amongst all dlineman on the field.  

So it looks like there are about 4,750 defensive line snaps to go around.  Let's make a projection on what could be available for Kerrigan:

Snap Count Projection - 2020 Season

Total snaps - 4,750

Sweat - 825

Young - 825

Payne - 800

Allen - 775

Ioannidis - 500

Anderson - 200

Others - 100

Remainder - 725 snaps

So that leaves 725ish snaps available for Kerrigan, or you could put some more towards Ioannidis (I lowered his snap count from this year because I don't think he will get as much playing time in a 4-3 alignment).  Even if you give 200 more snaps to Ioannidis, that still leaves 525 snaps for Kerrigan, which would still be a significant role.  Also, these projections do not take into consideration injuries, which could thrust Kerrigan back into the starting lineup.  

I don’t think Anderson plays 4-3 DE, I think he plays 4-3 SLB. So, take those snaps and split them up too.

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

We’re going to overpay Bradberry just like we did Norman. 

Hopefully not. If it gets too high, they should move on and sign someone else but, you’re point is well taken and definitely a concern.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Agreed.  Kerrigan could probably play both end positions and at least both outside linebacker positions if needed.  Yes he would be an expensive rotational player, but depth wins games in December.  We have overpaid so many players over the years, why not one more who at least is a great team guy.

Edited by offbyone

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

We’re going to overpay Bradberry just like we did Norman. 

But look at Dunbars numbers on his side and look at Bradberry on the other!!! The thing is it’s hard to find Darrell Revis. But finding guys that can have their side of the field is great. I don’t think Bradberry breaks the bank. I wouldn’t break it for Dunny. But those two and we can have really good outside CB’s that only have to worry about there side

37 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Agreed.  Kerrigan could probably play both end positions and at least both outside linebacker positions if needed.  Yes he would be an expensive rotational player, but depth wins games in December.  We have overpaid so many players over the years, why not one more who at least is a great team guy.

Either way what I thinks funny is we’re wondering how we’re going to give quality players reps on the DL!!!! After the way things were with us never picking front 7 defenders early for all those years it’s nice to have a Luxury of quality football players.

Honestly, CB is such an unstable position from year-to-year, I wouldn't give any CB a large contract.  Even guys like Jalen Ramsey, Marcus Peters and Patrick Peterson have had seasons where they have looked trash.  PFF says coverage is more important than pass rush, but even they admit how low the correlation of CB grades are from year-to-year.  It's just not worth spending a huge amount of your cap on a position that can be so feast or famine.  I would just keep drafting CBs early and often instead of handing out a top 10 positional salary to a guy who likely won't be worth it.

• Like 1