2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

8 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don’t know how others feel but if/when we have a training camp it’s going to be interesting to see how this OL shakes out if/when Trent is traded, if he isn’t traded and if that means he’ll show up.

I don’t think Scherff would ever be moved to LT, but he did play LT at Iowa. And, depending on what they do at LT in the draft or free agency, they may give it a try with Scherff moving there or flipping Moses over to LT and having Lucas at RT or giving Lucas a shot at LT and there’s also Christian still there as well. 

As crazy as it sounds we could have scenario where Scherff is our LT, Schweitzer is our LG, Roullier is our C, Martin is our RG and Moses is the RT.

Now, I don’t foresee that happening, but just putting out there as a far fetched possibly. Again, Scherff did play LT in college so while it’s far fetched maybe it happens too. Who knows.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/29/2020 at 9:18 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

26:45 for the Hooper portion.  The word around the combine was that the offers were too rich for the Redskins, and they didn't offer that much money.  

I am surprised.  The contract he signed is pretty reasonable considering he was the only high level tight end on the market.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know how others feel but if/when we have a training camp it’s going to be interesting to see how this OL shakes out if/when Trent is traded, if he isn’t traded and if that means he’ll show up.

I don’t think Scherff would ever be moved to LT, but he did play LT at Iowa. And, depending on what they do at LT in the draft or free agency, they may give it a try with Scherff moving there or flipping Moses over to LT and having Lucas at RT or giving Lucas a shot at LT and there’s also Christian still there as well. 

As crazy as it sounds we could have scenario where Scherff is our LT, Schweitzer is our LG, Roullier is our C, Martin is our RG and Moses is a the RT.

Now, I don’t foresee that happening, but just putting out there as a far fetched possibly. Again, Scherff did play LT in college so while it’s far fetched maybe it happens too. Who knows.

If we are even thinking to do that, we should lock him up immediately because otherwise we will be stuck next year contemplating having to pay him the new new of Left Tackle money which is apparently in the 20M range.

6 minutes ago, offbyone said:

If we are even thinking to do that, we should lock him up immediately because otherwise we will be stuck next year contemplating having to pay him the new new of Left Tackle money which is apparently in the 20M range.

They should lock him up either way IMO. If you’re willing to franchise a player and pay him nearly $16 million for one season, then you obviously value him enough to give him a LTD, or you should.

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

As crazy as it sounds we could have scenario where Scherff is our LT, Schweitzer is our LG, Roullier is our C, Martin is our RG and Moses is the RT.

I would think after five years, that ship has sailed.  It certainly wouldn't happen if the off-season is cut short, or non-existent.  

11 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I would think after five years, that ship has sailed.  It certainly wouldn't happen if the off-season is cut short, or non-existent.  

Very true, just kind of putting it out there that it could be a possibility. Anything is possible after all. I mean our HC is different now and he’s taken a RG/RT in Darryl Williams and moved him to LT. It’s not totally out of the realm of possibilities.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah, they probably would.  

Also, I'm not surprised to see Clowney still out there.  One of the most overrated players I've seen in recent seasons. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah, they probably would.  

Also, I'm not surprised to see Clowney still out there.  One of the most overrated players I've seen in recent seasons. 

I said this last year when people wanted to trade Trent for him. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 12:18 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

26:45 for the Hooper portion.  The word around the combine was that the offers were too rich for the Redskins, and they didn't offer that much money.  

Too rich for the Redskins, so instead of paying $10.5M AAV for a two-time Pro Bowl TE, they chose to pay;

$4.5M AAV for utility IOL Wes Schweitzer

$3M AAV for converted QB Logan Thomas

$2M AAV for backup OT Cornelius Lucas

$1.6M AAV for 3rd down RB JD McKissic

For those keeping track at home, that’s $11.1M AAV. Which went to 4 guys who will likely be backups, or at the very least could be replaced by guys on our team or available in the draft. And it doesn’t even include the nearly $20M they also paid out in one-year deals.

No one in their right mind would ever even consider trading Austin Hooper for Wes Schweitzer, Logan Thomas, Cornelius Lucas, and JD McKissic — but that’s essentially what they’ve done. When you refuse to spend money on the top of the market, you will inevitably waste it on the middle/bottom of the market.

And that’s what they’ve done. They can rest easy knowing that their two-deep is a little deeper and perhaps moderately more reliable. They’ll be mildly improved in 2020 and perhaps 2021. But all that money they spent will have basically no impact on their ability to win games once they’re (hopefully) good in 2022 and beyond. Perhaps they’ll find some starters in this motley bunch — who they’ll then have to re-sign again, at market value, because they didn’t lock any of them up long term — but for the most part, this was shuffling just the raggedy deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Hooper could have been a tent pole, a foundational piece that could be in place for 6-8 years, playing at a pretty high level. Yes, he would have been moderately overpaid — RIGHT NOW, at least...it won’t look that way in 3 years as the cap continues to go up and the TE market gets reset by Kittle and others — but at least there’s a hope and a reasonable projection that you could have been filling a long-term hole with a solid player. Instead, for the same money (with admittedly less risk), they got a bunch of replacement level mid-depth chart pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I said this last year when people wanted to trade Trent for him. 

I know that numbers are just a thing, but for him never to pass 10 sacks in a season with all of that physical potential just baffles me.  Sure, people say he's good against the run, but that's not what he was drafted for.  Role playing guys stop the run.  If Bryce Harper couldn't hit but played great defense, you still consider him a bust as #1 overall pick.  I'm at that point with Clowney.  He needs to go somewhere on a one year prove it deal to get some value back, because he's not getting the contract he wants this year.  

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I know that numbers are just a thing, but for him never to pass 10 sacks in a season with all of that physical potential just baffles me.  Sure, people say he's good against the run, but that's not what he was drafted for.  Role playing guys stop the run.  If Bryce Harper couldn't hit but played great defense, you still consider him a bust as #1 overall pick.  I'm at that point with Clowney.  He needs to go somewhere on a one year prove it deal to get some value back, because he's not getting the contract he wants this year.  

To be fair, Clowney was double-teamed a ton last year, and still put up a good win rate.

33 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Too rich for the Redskins, so instead of paying $10.5M AAV for a two-time Pro Bowl TE, they chose to pay;

$4.5M AAV for utility IOL Wes Schweitzer

$3M AAV for converted QB Logan Thomas

$2M AAV for backup OT Cornelius Lucas

$1.6M AAV for 3rd down RB JD McKissic

For those keeping track at home, that’s $11.1M AAV. Which went to 4 guys who will likely be backups, or at the very least could be replaced by guys on our team or available in the draft. And it doesn’t even include the nearly $20M they also paid out in one-year deals.

No one in their right mind would ever even consider trading Austin Hooper for Wes Schweitzer, Logan Thomas, Cornelius Lucas, and JD McKissic — but that’s essentially what they’ve done. When you refuse to spend money on the top of the market, you will inevitably waste it on the middle/bottom of the market.

And that’s what they’ve done. They can rest easy knowing that their two-deep is a little deeper and perhaps moderately more reliable. They’ll be mildly improved in 2020 and perhaps 2021. But all that money they spent will have basically no impact on their ability to win games once they’re (hopefully) good in 2022 and beyond. Perhaps they’ll find some starters in this motley bunch — who they’ll then have to re-sign again, at market value, because they didn’t lock any of them up long term — but for the most part, this was shuffling just the raggedy deck chairs on the Titanic. 

Hooper could have been a tent pole, a foundational piece that could be in place for 6-8 years, playing at a pretty high level. Yes, he would have been moderately overpaid — RIGHT NOW, at least...it won’t look that way in 3 years as the cap continues to go up and the TE market gets reset by Kittle and others — but at least there’s a hope and a reasonable projection that you could have been filling a long-term hole with a solid player. Instead, for the same money (with admittedly less risk), they got a bunch of replacement level mid-depth chart pieces.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I also haven't seen the current front office drafting well enough in the later rounds to provide depth players.  I also see adding veterans like this as a way to increase some competition at other positions, at least for a year.  At least they didn't make many of these commitments long-term ones.  

I do have a problem overpaying Hooper, because even though the cap goes up, this guy doesn't scream top of the position for me.  I also don't like going after big free agents now, when this team is still probably two seasons away from a division title.  By the time the Redskins are ready to compete in that timeframe, Hooper would be 29 and that's when a lot of NFL players start slowing down.  

I'm going to give them a pass on year one, but we can't continue to add players like this in the second year.