2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Washington Redskins

The Redskins have a new coach in Ron Rivera, but it’s not entirely clear what their new direction is going to be. There has been no push in free agency to arm second-year quarterback Dwayne Haskins with weaponry, for instance. With Washington acquiring quarterback Kyle Allen from Carolina for a fifth-round pick, Haskins might not even be best prepared to start for the team in the fall, given that Allen already knows the offense after starting under Rivera and offensive coordinator Scott Turner in Carolina last season.

“I don’t know why they had to give a fifth for Kyle Allen and then you give away a starting corner (Quinton Dunbar) to Seattle for a fifth,” an exec said. “Maybe the corner wanted a new deal, but at some point you should be able to sell guys on your culture and vision, although that is harder this offseason.”

The Redskins still own the rights to Trent Williams, the tackle who held out last season and sharply criticized longtime team president Bruce Allen, who was fired after the season as Rivera took over the organization. That led another exec to ask whether the team’s stance toward Williams had changed in Allen’s absence.

“Maybe the market was greater a year ago,” this exec said.

Cornerback/safety Kendall Fuller, formerly of Kansas City, is the highest-priced free agent Washington has signed so far. Ronald Darby was another addition at cornerback. Thomas Davis, 37, signed for $3.5 million a year in a move that seemed to signal as much as anything what Rivera might be thinking.

“I think they have determined the building was so toxic they just need good guys and a culture and atmosphere, and that may be the case, but it’s not like you look at the NFC East and see a division of world beaters,” an exec said. “That is what happens when you give a coach full control. You are going to get what they see.”

Like most of your posts & most of Ben Standings stuff, I agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

So would you. So would I. 

I would think anyone would love to see Chase Young break Kearse’s rookie sack record of 14.5. If they didn’t, at that point I would have to question their Redskins fanhood and that’s something I don’t usually do.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Its going to be a 4-5 year process to watch his development, especially if the off-season programs (OTAs, mini-camps and maybe parts of training camp) are disrupted due to Covid-19.  

It always is a 4-5 year process to develop any drafted player but Chase Young’s projection as a rookie should be around what Jevon Kearse’s was as @aceinthehouse said. He should be breaking Kearse’s rookie sack record of 14.5 or at least getting double digit sacks - I mean Orakpo got double digit sacks as a rookie - and Chase Young is way more athletic and stronger then Orakpo w/better pass rush moves & counter moves then Orakpo had.

Edited by turtle28

This quote is just about everything I thought this off-season would be.  

“I think they have determined the building was so toxic they just need good guys and a culture and atmosphere, and that may be the case, but it’s not like you look at the NFC East and see a division of world beaters,” an exec said. “That is what happens when you give a coach full control. You are going to get what they see.”

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

This quote is just about everything I thought this off-season would be.  

For this year yes, we’ll see what happens in future years. Also, as I’ve said before I don’t think Rivera wanted to get bogged down in a lot of long term deals with free agents that could end up being bad signings after a year or two. Instead, he’s taken the approach of evaluating the entire Redskins organization - including the front office - and the young talent on this team. If the young guys don’t improve a lot and don’t show promise to have the Redskins as a playoff contender in Rivera’s second year then, after this year we could see several big name free agent deals in next years offseason.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

For this year yes, we’ll see what happens in future years. Also, as I’ve said before I don’t think Rivera wanted to get bogged down in a lot of long term deals with free agents that could end up being bad signings after a year or two. Instead, he’s taken the approach of evaluating the entire Redskins organization - including the front office - and the young talent on this team. If the young guys don’t improve a lot and don’t show promise to have the Redskins as a playoff contender in Rivera’s second year then, after this year we could see several big name free agent deals in next years offseason.

And those are all reasons that I thought it was a pipe dream for everyone to have a bunch of free agents being signed.  I saw one big ticket purchase and that was it.  

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

We did try w/ Coop & Hoop. Right now Fuller is that guy.

Yes. But I don't think we actually did try hard enough with Hoop in terms of AAV. I think we dropped out earlier than we should've and he just took the greater $. Yes, he said some nice things about us in the recent interview, but nothing says to me that we were in the running in terms of the $$ offered.

Fuller is not a "big" signing. Sorry. Is he our biggest to-date this FA? Yes. But I agree with @e16bball on this. He was brought back because of the need and was paid a premium due to fan sentiment.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yes. But I don't think we actually did try hard enough with Hoop in terms of AAV. I think we dropped out earlier than we should've and he just took the greater $. Yes, he said some nice things about us in the recent interview, but nothing says to me that we were in the running in terms of the $$ offered.

Fuller is not a "big" signing. Sorry. Is he our biggest to-date this FA? Yes. But I agree with @e16bball on this. He was brought back because of the need and was paid a premium due to fan sentiment.

Yeah, I agree about Fuller. I was just saying he’s our high guy but it’s true his FA signing isn’t high compared to what Byron Jones signed for example but who knows maybe Jones will almost assuredly end up being an overpay bc as a corner he got QB $ just like we gave Josh Norman in 2016 which was also an overpay. 

I mean let’s just put it this way, if Fuller ends up being among the best slot corners in the NFL again throughout his contract, paying $4 million in 2020, $13 million in 2021 & $11 million in 2022 & 2023 will be worth it.

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Same. We just haven't gotten it yet.

We won't get it at this point, and I'm OK with that.  

I just think people are really underestimating how really bad things were in this building, and if Rivera truly is getting free reign here, it's going to be a while.  And there are going to be other changes after this season too, once Rivera gets a chance to see how players, coaches and other front office guys work.  As an Orioles fan, I've got a year and a half of the Mike Elias rebuild, and we had more changes after this season ended than we did when he came on board.  There is a clear evaluation period when there is so much rot inside the front office and staff.  It's all been ongoing since Snyder bought the team and it's been allowed to fester, especially the past decade under Bruce Allen. 

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We won't get it at this point, and I'm OK with that.  

I just think people are really underestimating how really bad things were in this building, and if Rivera truly is getting free reign here, it's going to be a while.  And there are going to be other changes after this season too, once Rivera gets a chance to see how players, coaches and other front office guys work.  As an Orioles fan, I've got a year and a half of the Mike Elias rebuild, and we had more changes after this season ended than we did when he came on board.  There is a clear evaluation period when there is so much rot inside the front office and staff.  It's all been ongoing since Snyder bought the team and it's been allowed to fester, especially the past decade under Bruce Allen. 

As someone who has had to do this multiple times at multiple different clients, I completely get this. But I didn't fail to bring in good people in key places while I was weeding out the old. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.