2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t understand why they were trying so hard to sign Cooper? And not wanting to reset the market on Hooper makes little to no sense if you were willing to go almost $10M a year more for a wide receiver who doesn’t seem like a game changer...just confusing. 

I agree only thing I can think is they saw Cooper as a double edged Sword where we not only get a good sometimes great WR but we also took him away from Cowboys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

Some notes from Rivera Zoom call

Interesting comparison

I like everything there except the BS strawman argument about Hooper. He didn’t reset the TE market, that’s just a nice-sounding, throwaway talking point from a team that didn’t want to pay him, and now will go into the season hoping for a late day 2, early day 3 rookie TE to save them from worst TE group in the league. 

I love Thomas Davis, he will be worth his weight in gold. His attitude will set a tone — the right tone, not the DJ Swearinger tone — for a defense that has a lot of the pieces and just needs the cohesion and the identity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

I like everything there except the BS strawman argument about Hooper. He didn’t reset the TE market, that’s just a nice-sounding, throwaway talking point from a team that didn’t want to pay him, and now will go into the season hoping for a late day 2, early day 3 rookie TE to save them from worst TE group in the league. 

I love Thomas Davis, he will be worth his weight in gold. His attitude will set a tone — the right tone, not the DJ Swearinger tone — for a defense that has a lot of the pieces and just needs the cohesion and the identity. 

to be fair to DJ I wanted to cuss that defensive coaching staff too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

He was candid though. I thought the Hooper talk was fluff.

Yeah, at least with Rivera you’re going to get honesty. And as Mike Shanahan said one time in a press conference, “I’m telling you the truth and I don’t usually do that.” That’s pretty much what we’ve gotten this decade from Shanahan & Bruce. I guess Jay was like Zorn, honest to a fault. McCloughan was also blatantly honest too, which I think ticked DanAllen off.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I don’t like the term “reset the market.” It’s become a stupid PR term for front offices the last few years in all sports. The Cowboys used it during Zeke’s hold out and then caved and did give him a huge deal weeks later. He should’ve just said we loved him as a player but we weren’t willing to go that high. Just spit out what we already know.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

to be fair to DJ I wanted to cuss that defensive coaching staff too.

DJ was right, per usual though he handled his issues w/ coaches wrong. It should’ve stayed in house. Now two years later, he’s on his 3rd team again. He was drafted in 2014 and has been on 6 teams - Cardinals twice & they didn’t re-sign him twice. At some point it’s not he has a problem w/ his defensive coaches scheme, it’s just he is a PROBLEM!

Edited by turtle28

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

A head coach valuing a slot corner as a $10m per year player.  This is why you don't have GM power to the head coach.  Slot corners are drafted, you don't give them huge FA contracts.  

Fuller is more then a slot corner. He can play outside and he can play FS. He’s going to start on the outside - people May not like that bc he’s not “as good there” but he’s not bad there. He’s going to be better then what we’ve gotten out of Norman the last two years & his cap his this year is $10 million less then what Norman’s would’ve been if we had kept him. 

When teams go 3 wide, he’ll play in the slot and hopefully play as well as he did in 2017 for us there. 

If we need him to, he can move to FS also. He’s going to be a very valuable and versatile piece. Just bc his best position is slot corner doesn’t mean that’s all he is.

23 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Fuller is more then a slot corner. He can play outside and he can play FS. He’s going to start on the outside - people May not like that bc he’s not “as good there” but he’s not bad there. He’s going to be better then what we’ve gotten out of Norman the last two years & his cap his this year is $10 million less then what Norman’s would’ve been if we had kept him. 

When teams go 3 wide, he’ll play in the slot and hopefully play as well as he did in 2017 for us there. 

If we need him to, he can move to FS also. He’s going to be a very valuable and versatile piece. Just bc his best position is slot corner doesn’t mean that’s all he is.

Where did this info come from?

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Where did this info come from?

Me. You don’t sign a guy to the contract we did and not have him start. That’s ridiculous. If you think he’s going to be riding the pine when our starting 11 go out on the field I have beach front property in Nebraska I’ll sell ya.

His best position is slot corner but he’s not limited to just being a slot corner. He’s capable of being good on outside, good at FS and elite in the slot. That’s what I expect from him.

Edited by turtle28