2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

Worth noting that ESPN is reporting today, based on Thomas Dimitroff’s comments at the Combine, that they won’t be franchise tagging Austin Hooper and will allow him to test FA. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28780303/falcons-let-te-austin-hooper-others-test-free-agency

Some crackpot around here was suggesting that him coming available was the most likely outcome. Wonder how hot the market will be — we know there will be high demand, especially if Henry gets franchised, but will it get out of control?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, e16bball said:

Worth noting that ESPN is reporting today, based on Thomas Dimitroff’s comments at the Combine, that they won’t be franchise tagging Austin Hooper and will allow him to test FA. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28780303/falcons-let-te-austin-hooper-others-test-free-agency

Some crackpot around here was suggesting that him coming available was the most likely outcome. Wonder how hot the market will be — we know there will be high demand, especially if Henry gets franchised, but will it get out of control?

I didn't think they had the cap space to even consider franchising him, especially given some work they will need to do at other positions.  

There hasn't been a tight end to come to the market in a while with the emphasis on the position by NFL front offices.  I expect Hooper to be the #1 paid tight end when he signs his contract.  There are three players making over $10 million and I expect him to get at least that, and probably crush Ertz's $12.5 million.  

https://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/2020/

Though as I've made mention before, is Hooper going to be worth it getting out of control?  

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t know why people thought Rivera was gonna be in for a long rebuild? He wants to win right away. It’s why I wanted them to consider KOC because it would’ve felt more like a rebuild. 

The team didn't need a complete rebuild. They needed someone to get the most out of the TALENT the team already had while they continued to add more TALENT as well. 2021 they should be competing in the NFC East. 

Edited by Skins212689
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

The team didn't need a complete rebuild. They needed someone to get the most out of the TALENT the team already had while they continued to add more TALENT as well. 2021 they should be competing in the NFC East. 

True. 

But that short-term gain, long-term pain, is exactly the way this dreadful organization has operated for 20+ years. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Yet with no one with the LEADERSHIP ability as Rivera. He is the best thing to happen for this organization since Gibbs. 

I agree about leadership... and I'm a BIG believer in having great leaders at the top and throughout. 

Shanahan was a pedigreed coach... maybe not the greatest leader. And things didn't work out for him.

I'm guardedly optimistic... Rivera is indeed a leader... he holds players accountable... there seems to be good collaboration between he and the personnel staff... I still think the primary emphasis needs to be on running good, deep drafts... 8+ picks every year. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I agree about leadership... and I'm a BIG believer in having great leaders at the top and throughout. 

Shanahan was a pedigreed coach... maybe not the greatest leader. And things didn't work out for him.

I'm guardedly optimistic... Rivera is indeed a leader... he holds players accountable... there seems to be good collaboration between he and the personnel staff... I still think the primary emphasis needs to be on running good, deep drafts... 8+ picks every year. 

A 55 Man roster full of talent is what I want them to aim for, not just a Talented starting core. That's why I'd take those 3 1st round picks over just drafting Young. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

A 55 Man roster full of talent is what I want them to aim for, not just a Talented starting core. That's why I'd take those 3 1st round picks over just drafting Young. 

I can't disagree with you. Bad teams need more Hondas... they don't need a single Porsche (QB being the exception).

See the Giants selecting Saquan. [Note - selecting Young would make more sense than that pick]

Edited by Skinsin2013

I don’t think there really are “long-term rebuilds” in the NFL anymore, so from that perspective, I can get on board with the idea of being aggressive while we have some young talent in-house.

With the salary cap and the rookie contract length being what they are, you can’t just expect to keep all your talent base intact together for years and years. The days of a (large) core group — think the 80s Redskins — sticking together for a decade are long gone. If you have a successful group, they’ll end up being picked apart in free agency (and by natural attrition), so you do have to be willing to strike while the iron is hot. 

Where I start to get queasy when I hear “one year turnaround” and the suggestion that they want to be competitive right away is at the risk it poses that they’ll screw up the QB. Haskins may not be ready to be a championship QB by next season — in fact, it’s extremely likely that he isn’t. If Alex Smith is healthy, or if they add another veteran QB (in the Keenum/Tannehill/Fitzpatrick “legit borderline starter” category), it’s possible that he might be the better player right out of the gate in a new offense. Or at least more consistent/reliable. But playing a guy like that, because he gives you perhaps a better chance at winning 9 games in 2020 than Haskins does, would be the worst thing that could happen to the franchise. 

Because the obvious reality is that the only way to have sustained success is to lock in a coach/QB combination that stays together for a decade and gives you the ability to cycle other players in and out around them without much drop-off. Maybe Rivera is that guy, maybe Haskins is that guy — and maybe not. But those two are our only shot at it right now. And anything that disrupts that process of Haskins trying to take on the mantle of “true franchise QB” is a long-term step(s) back for the organization, regardless of whether it’s a momentary step forward in 2020. 

23 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think there really are “long-term rebuilds” in the NFL anymore, so from that perspective, I can get on board with the idea of being aggressive while we have some young talent in-house.

Agreed.  Most rosters, good ones and bad ones, turn over the majority of their players every couple years.  A long term rebuild strategy is a thing of the past.

58 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

I can't disagree with you. Bad teams need more Hondas... they don't need a single Porsche (QB being the exception).

See the Giants selecting Saquan. [Note - selecting Young would make more sense than that pick]

I think the overall consensus is that the DE/premiere pass rusher in today's NFL is the 2nd most important position on the field, whereas, in your example, a RB seems to be a dime a dozen and easily replaceable. So maybe you do want a Porsche there at DE? 

• Like 1