2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

Just now, turtle28 said:

Charles will have yesrs to develop. We were lucky as hell that Penn played 16 games last year at an average level. I don’t think people understand what an anomaly that was.

Also, you don’t win games long turn if you don’t change the culture. What did you want to do, retain Brice Allen and Jay Gruden?

Add a better LT to have Charles compete with if your gonna trade Williams for a freaking 5th and 3rd round pick. How about that? 

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Right and you ended up with 2 5th round picks for guys who have more than a 60% chance of making another Pro Bowl in their career. Or adding to their Teams ability to WIN a SuperBowl. 

Yeah, and again, they didn’t want to play in DC. If you don’t want to be here then cya and don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

Also, a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick is more then we would have gotten for Trent if he had played one more year in DC and then walked in FA next year. If we had done that, we would have gotten a 2022 compensatory pick for him which at best would have been a 5th round pick.

We took the best deal we got offered for Dunny. You can’t imaginarily make up a better deal and say we could have gotten more for him bc the deal wasn’t out there to be had.

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Add a better LT to have Charles compete with if your gonna trade Williams for a freaking 5th and 3rd round pick. How about that? 

We had already signed a tackle in free agency, Cornelius Lucas and we still have Gerron Christian developing. And, on top of that if Charles didn’t have the off the field issues he would have at worst been a 2nd round pick. Charles is a really talented OL. We need to understand what kind of player he is and what we drafted. He’s a good OT prospect, Lucas played well last year for Chicago and Christian May develop into something more then he currently is.

Sometimes at positions you don’t have the luxury of just having a pro bowl player. Instead, you have to go with young guys you drafted or signed in FA and let them battle it out to be a starter.

20 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We had already signed a tackle in free agency, Cornelius Lucas and we still have Gerron Christian developing. And, on top of that if Charles didn’t have the off the field issues he would have at worst been a 2nd round pick. Charles is a really talented OL. We need to understand what kind of player he is and what we drafted. He’s a good OT prospect, Lucas played well last year for Chicago and Christian May develop into something more then he currently is.

Sometimes at positions you don’t have the luxury of just having a pro bowl player. Instead, you have to go with young guys you drafted or signed in FA and let them battle it out to be a starter.

Great protect your "Franchise QB" with backups. That's the way you can agree with building a team. I don't agree with that idea. I stand by what I said Charles Must Step In Right Away for me to have faith in the LT spot this season. 

21 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

Great protect your "Franchise QB" with backups. That's the way you can agree with building a team. I don't agree with that idea. I stand by what I said Charles Must Step In Right Away for me to have faith in the LT spot this season. 

I’m not really disagreeing with you, I’m just saying we have guys at LT with talent for competition. Sure, we don’t have an established vet like Trent there anymore but we do have guys that can play the position that shouldn’t be awful. 

Also, Cornelius Lucas did start 8 games last year and gave up no sacks. 

And the truth is, we aren’t going to know the true answer to if Lucas, Charles or Christian can be the answer at LT until they play the games. Continuing to yell about it and complain about over the internet isn’t going to change that fact.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’m not really disagreeing with you, I’m just saying we have guys at LT with talent for competition. Sure, we don’t have an established vet like Trent there anymore but we do have guys that can play the position that shouldn’t be awful. 

Also, Cornelius Lucas did start 8 games last year and gave up no sacks. 

And the truth is, we aren’t going to know the true answer to if Lucas, Charles or Christian can be the answer at LT until they play the games. Continuing to yell about it and complain about over the internet isn’t going to change that fact.

Saying what needs to happen for us to get Wins is all I'm stating. One of those 3 guy's Have To Succeed at the LT Spot for the Team to Win Games. 

55 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Saying what needs to happen for us to get Wins is all I'm stating. One of those 3 guy's Have To Succeed at the LT Spot for the Team to Win Games. 

What do you want to do at the position?

We have 4 OTs. Two of which Ron Rivera just added in the last two months, one he signed as a FA and one he just drafted. A lot of times teams don’t even carry 4 OTs - only 3. We aren’t going to sign anyone else and the draft is over. 

And of course one of them has to play at least at Penn’s level last year - preferably better bc Penn was just avg - for us to win games. We all know that.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What do you want to do at the position?

We have 4 OTs. Two of which Ron Rivera just added in the last two months, one he signed as a FA and one he just drafted. A lot of times teams don’t even carry 4 OTs - only 3. We aren’t going to sign anyone else and the draft is over. 

And of course one of them has to play at least at Penn’s level last year - preferably better bc Penn was just avg - for us to win games. We all know that.

Rivera didn't put that nail in the coffin like you are.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ron-rivera-left-tackle-couple-111835505.html 

Rivera said on The Team 980 that the team was “very fortunate” to land Charles, but that they have other options that they’re exploring as well.

“There’s still a couple guys out there that we’ve talked about,” Rivera said, via NBCSportsWashington.com.

Obviously he knows it's a problem too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Rivera didn't put that nail in the coffin like you are.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ron-rivera-left-tackle-couple-111835505.html 

Obviously he knows it's a problem too.

Thanks. That still doesn’t sound like it’s a definite they will sign someone one else, just that it’s a possibility and they are exploring it. I hope it’s not Donald Penn again. I’ve said all along if they sign someone else, I hope it’s Beachum and not Penn. I appreciate Penn for what he did for us last year, but I’d rather get a LT who’s still in his prime like Beachum.

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Just play Saahdiq Charles. If he sucks, so be it. Put him out there and let’s find out what we have. 

That is 100% how I feel! And, if he shows what he showed on tape last year at LSU, he won’t suck and he may already be better than what we got out of Penn last year as a rookie.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2920037535bfd3ba11fa

• Like 2

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That is 100% how I feel! And, if he shows what he showed on tape last year at LSU, he won’t suck and he may already be better than what we got out of Penn last year as a rookie.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2920037535bfd3ba11fa

Right I play him. I wouldn’t mind a vet to let him have a mentor but I want him to play

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Right I play him. I wouldn’t mind a vet to let him have a mentor but I want him to play

We already have the vet in Cornelius Lucas. I see no reason to sign anyone else at this point. We have Moses and Lucas as our vets, Christian developing still - hopefully getting stronger to match his athleticism - and the best player of them all may be the 4th round OT we just took, Charles.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

My concern is if this goes south, you might kill Dwayne too.

• Like 1