2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I don't think we'll make this move.  We seem to be moving towards a zone-blocking scheme and Warford is one of the biggest and slowest guards in the league.

If we are going to a zone blocking scheme don’t know what happens to Wes Martin, Ross Pierschbacher. I like Wes Martin, I believe he can be a solid guard for 10-12 years. 

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If we are going to a zone blocking scheme don’t know what happens to Wes Martin, Ross Pierschbacher. I like Wes Martin, I believe he can be a solid guard for 10-12 years. 

Yeah, I guess we’ll have to find out if they can make the adjustment. That’s probably why they drafted Keith Ismael bc they don’t know if Martin or Ross P can play in the ZBS yet.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I guess we’ll have to find out if they can make the adjustment. That’s probably why they drafted Keith Ismael bc they don’t know if Martin or Ross P can play in the ZBS yet.

Don’t know if they’re athletic enough to make that transition. Rooting for Martin! 👍

Edited by ARTMONK HOF
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Casualties of changing coaches and changing systems, which is a big reason we drafted Ismael.  With the change to the 4-3 happening at the same time, I completely understand why we didn't go crazy in free agency and decided to make this an evaluation year.  A lot of the players who can't make the transition to the new systems- or even the new locker room- will be out the door in short order.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Casualties of changing coaches and changing systems, which is a big reason we drafted Ismael.  With the change to the 4-3 happening at the same time, I completely understand why we didn't go crazy in free agency and decided to make this an evaluation year.  A lot of the players who can't make the transition to the new systems- or even the new locker room- will be out the door in short order.  

Yep, it was a while ago but it happened when Shanahan was hired in 2010 both on offense with the switch to the ZBS and on defense bc he switched us to the 3-4.

The biggest loss was Andre Carter on D after one year. Yes, Andre Carter’s career was winding down and he was replaced in 2011 by Ryan Kerrigan but, Carter did have one more 10 sacks season when he went to the Patriots in 2011.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Larry Warford? Or do we trust Wes Martin? I feel like we could bring in Warford on a lucrative one year deal and give Martin some more time to develop. 

He’s going to be 30 and he’s not athletic. Warford doesn’t fit our new scheme we’ll. We signed a ZBS C/OG when we signed Schweitzer, I don’t think we should sign Warford.

1 hour ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Larry Warford? Or do we trust Wes Martin? I feel like we could bring in Warford on a lucrative one year deal and give Martin some more time to develop. 

He's one of the slowest players in the league.  He doesn't fit the scheme that many of us see them implementing.  

• Like 1

I’d like to see us resign Penn and roll him out starting while Charles learns and perhaps plays as the season goes on. 
I could see a starting OL of game 1 as

Penn, Sweitzer, Rolliuer, Scherff and Lucas

lucas is better and cheaper than Moses at RT and Moses can be dealt for a 21 pick ( anything we could get for him)

by the end of the season I can see a lineup of 

Charles, Martin, ismael, Scherff and Lucas and this group being at least average overall and a much better run blocking team- something we haven’t had in many years on the line. 

I don’t get the love for Rouillier. He’s a good serviceable player but nothing special. I guess on the positive is he does suit up and compete, but I believe the kid can be a big upgrade over him at center. 

1 hour ago, Doc Draper said:

I’d like to see us resign Penn and roll him out starting while Charles learns and perhaps plays as the season goes on. 
I could see a starting OL of game 1 as

Penn, Sweitzer, Rolliuer, Scherff and Lucas

lucas is better and cheaper than Moses at RT and Moses can be dealt for a 21 pick ( anything we could get for him)

by the end of the season I can see a lineup of 

Charles, Martin, ismael, Scherff and Lucas and this group being at least average overall and a much better run blocking team- something we haven’t had in many years on the line. 

I don’t get the love for Rouillier. He’s a good serviceable player but nothing special. I guess on the positive is he does suit up and compete, but I believe the kid can be a big upgrade over him at center. 

On the topic of Roullier, he's been trending upward with his PPF grades- 24th in his rookie season, 18th and now 16th as far as being compared to other centers go.  So even if we have an NFL average center, and he has a rapport with the QB, you are doing something right.  The fact that he's seen his ranking go up despite the talent next to him being injured and missing games is also a good indicator.  

• Like 1

Does Penn fit into the ZBS? Has he ever played in it?

I could see Peters fitting into it.

Not sure about Cordy Glenn & Kelvin Beachum fitting into the ZBS either.

I’m still in role with the young guys mode, nothing is going to change my mind on that.

I guess he did when Dennis Allen was the Raiders but it didn’t go well for that OL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/raiders/raiders-learning-curve-zbs-steepest-game-days%3famp

Greg Knapp, the Raiders' new and returning offensive coordinator, compared this summer the installation of a new offense to a "start-up" business. So yeah, putting in a new West Coast Offense with a zone-blocking scheme would promote growing pains.

But did you see the Raiders, with a healthy Darren McFadden, struggling this mightily to get their running game going? After rushing for 23 yards on 14 carries in a 35-13 loss to Miami on Sunday, the Raiders, who fell to 0-2, have a combined 68 yards rushing on 34 carries in two games.

It might have something to do with the Raiders essentially still learning the scheme on the job. As in, in games."It's one of those things where you don't just have it, you don't just install a bunch of plays and get really good at cut-blocking, cutting the back side and giving him those cut-back lanes," said quarterback Carson Palmer.

"It's something we've got to continue to work (at), and we will and we'll get better at it each practice."Guys pick up things, especially in the games because we can't cut in practices. Guys really get better at the cuts in games and we've got to continue to do it in games."

Said center Stefen Wisniewski: "It's definitely going to get better. "It's not DMac's fault. It's on the O-line and the running game goes as far as we go."

McFadden, meanwhile, is averaging a mere 2.1 yards per carry thus far, going for 54 yards on 26 carries. Last year, before getting injured in the season's seventh game, McFadden was leading the NFL in rushing and averaged 5.4 yards per attempt in the Raiders' then-power blocking scheme.

Which begs the question asked in another space here: is the zone-blocking scheme right for McFadden's skill set?"I totally think so," Palmer said. "You can't look at these two games (and say no). He's right for any system. It really doesn't matter. But with the way he blocks, what he can do with the protections in this system, he's perfect for it. With his ability to really just put his foot in the ground and get vertical, that's what this offense is built on and we'll continue to get better up front."I believe he's 100 percent the right guy for this system."

Edited by turtle28