Damn Walkthemock Drafts: Reckoning (PFF with your lopsided trades & meh draft board, we hardly knew ya')

NudeTayne

7 minutes ago, Bernie's Curls said:

Collier just feels like an eventual fit as a 5 Tech to me. His strength, hands, and 34" arms seem ideal. I think a 3-4 team will snag him up about the same range as Isaiah Buggs.

Yeah, I think he goes around late 3rd-4th. He's not very tall, though, so not sure about him on a 3-4. Maybe it doesn't matter, as you pointed out his arm length is good--34".

16 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yeah, I think he goes around late 3rd-4th. He's not very tall, though, so not sure about him on a 3-4. Maybe it doesn't matter, as you pointed out his arm length is good--34".

You definitely could be right, I'm not sure I'd gamble on him until the 4th, as we all seem to be guessing on his most natural fit. If we're going DL in the 3rd, I'd like someone who could develop as the eventual successor to either DT Richardson or DE Vernon. And I know that's wishful thinking.

Edited by Bernie's Curls

3 hours ago, Bernie's Curls said:

If we're going DL in the 3rd, I'd like someone who could develop as the eventual successor to either DT Richardson or DE Vernon. And I know that's wishful thinking.

The above could actually be a selling point to bring in Collier, as Richardson and Vernon play the two positions Collier may be able to play well at.

That said, Chad Thomas may be able to okay LE/DT as well.

12 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

If John Dorsey can draft half as these mocks, this team is going to be looking hot coming into the season.

Every year it seems like there are people who act like if a GM takes a player that isn't a forum consensus, it's a bad pick.

This is not a shot at you, because you possess a certain quality known as logic.

But it happens sometimes. That's why if it's a player I don't know, I try to take a more excited approach than a pessimistic one.

• Like 1

2(49): --  Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State 

3(80): --  Lonnie Johnson Jr., CB Kentucky

4(119): -- LJ Collier, 3Tech DT-Convert TCU

5(144):-- Mitch Hyatt, LT Clemson

5(155): -- Devin Singletary, RB FAU

5(170): -- LaDarius Wiley, SS Vanderbilt

6(189): -- Isaac Nauta, TE Georgia

7(221): -- Kenny Young, OW Miami (OH)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

2(49): --  Amani Oruwariye, CB Penn State 

3(80): --  Lonnie Johnson Jr., CB Kentucky

4(119): -- LJ Collier, 3Tech DT-Convert TCU

5(144):-- Mitch Hyatt, LT Clemson

5(155): -- Devin Singletary, RB FAU

5(170): -- LaDarius Wiley, SS Vanderbilt

6(189): -- Isaac Nauta, TE Georgia

7(221): -- Kenny Young, OW Miami (OH)

What's the thought process behind Lonnie Johnson going in the top 100

I understand he tested well, he also doesn't seem to be very good at the one thing you need most from a CB: coverage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Every year it seems like there are people who act like if a GM takes a player that isn't a forum consensus, it's a bad pick.

This is not a shot at you, because you possess a certain quality known as logic.

But it happens sometimes. That's why if it's a player I don't know, I try to take a more excited approach than a pessimistic one.

If we don't draft Mitch Hyatt in the 5th, why do we even pay our scouts actual money?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

What's the thought process behind Lonnie Johnson going in the top 100

I understand he tested well, he also doesn't seem to be very good at the one thing you need most from a CB: coverage

I think you're absolutely right to question Lonnie's coverage ability initially, but I think there are some contextual factors (the UK defensive roles/scheme) that minimize that concern some. I don't care at all about combine testing I only care about on-field football play athleticism.

We are talking about pick 80. So, the type of player available around pick 80 is one type of player: A player with clear flaws in their game.

Context free, It's a simple evaluation for me w/ Lonnie. He has the feet, the hips, the competitive fire, the dynamic quick movement skill, the strength, the tackling willingness and ability, the ball skills, the route awareness, and love the game to the point that development and coaching could make him a impact quality starter.

Beyond that though, I wasn't a big fan of Lonnie's coverage ability at all until I started watching in-depth while watching CB Derrick Baity, S Darius West, and S Mike Edwards' snaps for their respective evaluation and got an understanding of the overall defense. At that point some things became clear. The first, there are two Lonnie Johnson Jr's; (1) Lonnie the press man, trail technique, bump and run player AND (2) Lonnie the zone coverage CB. The former (press man CB) is far superior to the poor play player in Lonnie the zone CB. Lonnie's worst snaps where he looks poor are when he plays off the ball zone coverage with catch WR technique. If the press/in-hip-pocket CB Lonnie is a 90 rating, the zone CB is a 50. In fact, on second watch of his games I started to chart zone versus man snaps, as well as which Safety was lined up near him. In zone, he simply doesn't know the proper way to use his eyes and cue-read and that gets him in trouble and at times has him looking lost in coverage in zone catch technique. The contrast was glaring.

Most often, Kentucky plays a mix-match zone that allows their impact move-SS Darius West the ability to either be a nickel or box chess piece, has Derrick Baity who's even worse at zone than Lonnie played in the role of press man to protect his deficiencies, has S Mike Edwards as a limited range ability near-Box alignment pass disrupter, leaving Lonnie Johnson to play the role of a zone CB off the line to deter immediate deep ball reads by the QB. Lonnie's used out of his best role for 3 reasons: 1.) It allows Darius West to range-playmake all over the field as a severely limited range pass support player from the high S spot, 2.) It protects S Mike Edwards b/c despite being lined up as a FS he is best as a big-nickel w/ limited range and pass support ability as FS, and 3.) CB Derrick Baity needs the over the top support more so than Lonnie so they play Baity as the press CB with S support more so than Lonnie.

In my mind, Lonnie's the best press corner in the draft. He plays with a different level of confidence, stays on the inside hip, and reads the game at a high level in that role. Furthermore, his route awareness and ball awareness is different when he gets to run in phase with the WR. 

Contrary to most opinions on Wilks' zone scheme, it's more of mix-match zone scheme with man and press man concepts and responsibilities for CBs based on the call. A lot of misnomers out there that Wilks plays zone so we need zone CBs.

The quality of player Lonnie is imo is one that we'd be fortunate to get at pick 80 as many in the league think he's a sure-fire top 50 selection based on opinions of him inside league personnel rooms. Will be interesting to see where he goes.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

I know this is a WalkTheMock thread, but I've recently found another mock simulation I really like on https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

Recent sample:

#49 Trayvon Mullen, CB Clemson

#80 Khalen Saunders, IDL Western Illinois

#119 Nate Davis, IOL Charlotte

#144 Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma

#155 Tre Watson, LB Maryland

#170 Evan Worthington, S Colorado

#189 Armon Watts, IDL Arkansas

#221 Donnie Lewis Jr, CB Tulane

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, Bernie's Curls said:

I know this is a WalkTheMock thread, but I've recently found another mock simulation I really like on https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

Recent sample:

#49 Trayvon Mullen, CB Clemson

#80 Khalen Saunders, IDL Western Illinois

#119 Nate Davis, IOL Charlotte

#144 Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma

#155 Tre Watson, LB Maryland

#170 Evan Worthington, S Colorado

#189 Armon Watts, IDL Arkansas

#221 Donnie Lewis Jr, CB Tulane

I like what I've heard about Watts. Still insanely raw but this would be an ideal situation for him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about (crazy idea) drafing Mack Wilson in the 2nd? That dude is a heat seeking missile in the middle of the defense with sideline to sideline speed who brings that intimidation factor to the middle of the defense. I know hes raw and often overruns plays because hes always going 110mph---but he reminds me of Denzel Perryman coming out of Miami who also brings that nastiness that I love at LB.

Garrett--Ogunjobi--Richardson--Vernon

Schobert--Wilson--Kirksey

That would be a pretty, uh, exciting and talented front 7 in the AFCN that could also be a Lamar Jackson/Mark Ingram destroyer.

Just thinkin out loud cause Im bored.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

What about (crazy idea) drafing Mack Wilson in the 2nd? That dude is a heat seeking missile in the middle of the defense with sideline to sideline speed who brings that intimidation factor to the middle of the defense. I know hes raw and often overruns plays because hes always going 110mph---but he reminds me of Denzel Perryman coming out of Miami.

Garrett--Ogunjobi--Richardson--Vernon

Schobert--Wilson--Kirksey

That would be a pretty, uh, exciting and talented front 7 in the AFCN that could also be a Lamar Jackson/Mark Ingram destroyer.

Just thinkin out loud cause Im bored.

Tayne: "Here's a thread to post all your walkthemock drafts."

Akron's Witness: "I like turtles."

Edited by NudeTayne
Mack Wilson may fall to the third(?). Many have cooled on him.