Cardinals expected to release David Johnson

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

...did something happen to Christian McCaffrey? Or Alvin Kamara?

My friend, those guys were comp'd to DJ2K when they were coming out for the draft, not the other way around. Dude plays WR better than 1/2 the WRs in the NFL. Gurley is elite catching passes out of the backfield and Kamara and the Leveon Bell of old  are elite both out of the slot and backfield, but McCaffrey and Johnson are the only two RBs that I'm comfortable with out wide against a #1 cornerback. 

Also, it's astounding that the Cards aren't using DJ at special teams. That's where he was a huge impact player as a rookie for most of their 14-win season.

34 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

RBs nowadays are lucky if they get that 2nd contract

Which is why RBs who are projected to be highly drafted should leave college ASAP.  The older they are when it comes time for that second contract, the less likely it is that they'll get it a good one.

35 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

My friend, those guys were comp'd to DJ2K when they were coming out for the draft, not the other way around. Dude plays WR better than 1/2 the WRs in the NFL. Gurley is elite catching passes out of the backfield and Kamara and the Leveon Bell of old  are elite both out of the slot and backfield, but McCaffrey and Johnson are the only two RBs that I'm comfortable with out wide against a #1 cornerback.

This may have been the narrative on him about 3-4 years ago, but it's not the case now. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

That term "GOAT" is really overused. 

Not to mention idiotic. This society's obsession with acronyms is RFS.

As for Johnson, I warned FFers not to fall in love with a one-year wonder, but did they listen.....

Edited by bomont

40 minutes ago, bomont said:

Not to mention idiotic. This society's obsession with acronyms is RFS.

In terms of talent, I don't think it is crazy. I'm pretty sure he still has the record for most air yards for a RB in season. Most RBs just catch dropoffs and after that it is basically a running play. DJ embarrasses people downfield. 

Edited by 11sanchez11
  • Like 1

So... what happened to him? He had the wrist stuff that ended his 2017, but don't see how that would derail his career. He's been struggling since 2018, when he was just 27 and had only accrued 551 pro touches... I don't think you can just chalk this up to wear and tear.

Was he actually good in 2018, but on an awful offense, and then in 2019 the real decline set in? Still seems a bit premature for simply wear and tear to be the cause. I feel like there has to be a specific injury at play here.