Should the Cowboys TRADE Dak?

Uncle Buck

Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?

• Yes! Trade him, improve other areas of the team and let MM develop a rookie.
    • No! He's a great quarterback and those are hard to find. Pay the man!

For some reason, the Cowboys and Dak Prescott haven't come to an agreement on a contract.  Will they end up paying him, or will they go the same route as the Redskins did with Kirk Cousins and give him the franchise tag?  I see Dak as being on about the same tier as Kirk Cousins.  He is very good and deserves to be paid a good amount, but will he ever get you to the promised land like guys like Mahomes and Wilson?

A thought occurred to me that might surprise some people.  With the arrival of QB whisperer, Mike McCarthy, maybe the Cowboys would be better off trading Dak for a big haul of picks and then drafting a QB.  This would give them the chance to get a very good QB prospect, and they would also have another five years before having to shell out the big money for a QB.  I think Mike McCarthy is one of the best QB coaches in the league, and this might make sense for the Cowboys now that he is their head coach.  The big money saved could be used to strengthen other areas on the team for the next five years.  What do you think?

Edited by Uncle Buck

He is going to get paid.

This is so weird to me. I am 99% sure this is just another manufacturered media circus because we are the Cowboys. The Owner and #2 in charge have both said many, many times that getting Dak on long term contract is the #1 most important goal.

And before anyone starts with their crap, remember: Dak is better than Wentz and Goff in every measurable way. Better bulk and efficiency stats. More accolades. More wins/comebacks/etc. Better individual stats in the playoffs. 

They got paid, Dak will too. Probably about 10% more than them. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

He is going to get paid.

This is so weird to me. I am 99% sure this is just another manufacturered media circus because we are the Cowboys. The Owner and #2 in charge have both said many, many times that getting Dak on long term contract is the #1 most important goal.

And before anyone starts with their crap, remember: Dak is better than Wentz and Goff in every measurable way. Better bulk and efficiency stats. More accolades. More wins/comebacks/etc. Better individual stats in the playoffs. 

They got paid, Dak will too. Probably about 10% more than them. 

What do you think about the option of trading him?  This thread wasn't meant as a shot at Dak.  You know I think he is a good quarterback.  I was just thinking that with Mike McCarthy in the building, maybe it makes sense for the Cowboys to go the draft route because of the salary cap benefits for the next five years.  It would also give McCarthy the ability to draft a QB that he thinks will best fit in his offense.  I'm sure he probably thinks Dak could play well in his offense too, though, because he probably wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't think so.

As for your second question: most players, QBs included, bust. 

This question would be like me asking "should the Rams trade Aaron Donald because Wade is a good DC (couple years ago)" or "Should the Pats trade Gilmore because Billy B finds lots of DBs".

I just don't see it, personally. Seems like a weird question. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

As for your second question: most players, QBs included, bust. 

This question would be like me asking "should the Rams trade Aaron Donald because Wade is a good DC (couple years ago)" or "Should the Pats trade Gilmore because Billy B finds lots of DBs".

I just don't see it, personally. Seems like a weird question. 

You have a legitimate point Matts.  I have just been thinking my way because there has been some talk in the Minnesota media saying the Vikings should try to trade up in the draft this year to get Tua.  It would require multiple picks and maybe a good player or two, but I actually wouldn't be totally opposed to the idea after seeing how things went for the Chiefs this year.  I'm not saying Tua will be as good as Mahomes, but he has a decent chance to be better than Kirk Cousins, and he would also give us the 5 years of cap relief too. 

The Chiefs were in a similar situation with Alex Smith.  He was a good guy, and an above average, but not an elite quarterback.  They took the chance to reach for greatness.  Sometimes you get a bust, but sometimes it works out as it did for the Chiefs.  Maybe it's different for teams that have won a Super Bowl.  I'm just sick of getting to the playoffs every other year and not ever winning the big one.  The Vikings now have the NFL record with 30 playoff losses during the Super Bowl era.  That's a lot of playoff appearances with ZERO championships.  Eventually, you have to do something to get over the hump.

*puts on tinfoil hat

I think you have to pay him.

By 2021 or so, Brees, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger are gonna be gone (presumably)

Rodgers and Ryan will continue to decline and I don't foresee the QB development "boom" that we were spoiled with, happening again.

There's been more trash than treasure at the QB position since like 2012. Having an above average QB might become a luxury going forward & I think Dak fits into that.

You're looking at the likes of Mahomes, Jackson, Watson, Wilson taking up the mantle with Dak, Stafford (?), Wentz, Cousins behind them.

45 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

The Chiefs were in a similar situation with Alex Smith.  He was a good guy, and an above average, but not an elite quarterback.  They took the chance to reach for greatness.  Sometimes you get a bust, but sometimes it works out as it did for the Chiefs.  Maybe it's different for teams that have won a Super Bowl.  I'm just sick of getting to the playoffs every other year and not ever winning the big one.  The Vikings now have the NFL record with 30 playoff losses during the Super Bowl era.  That's a lot of playoff appearances with ZERO championships.  Eventually, you have to do something to get over the hump.

They drafted Mahomes and had a year od practice with him before they let Smith walk. Thats completely different. 

I've been PRAYING for this general scenario to play out. Not specific to Dak, but I want to see a team roll the dice on trading a QB that has been successful on his rookie deal and flipping him for two 1st's (or combination of picks and players).

I believe it could be a trend that would change the way franchises operate. Over the past 5-7 years, QB's have had more and more success early on in their career while on the rookie part of their deal. I believe this is due to two things: 1. Pro offenses are mimicking more of what college offenses do from a spread approach making the transition to NFL easier. 2. These kids are in 7 v.7 and QB coaching camps at 5 years old these days. The quality of player at the QB position is just higher than it's ever been.

With that said if you have easier transitions to the NFL and more talented QB's entering the NFL, the optimal way to run a franchise is to get the most out of your QB while on a rookie deal and flip him around his 5th year option (assuming he has one). Use the rest of the cap space to build a quality team around him. 

If the Cowboys can flip Dak for two 1sts and two 2nds to a Miami, Indy, LAC, and draft a Tua/Herbert, I believe they will win the NFC East next year given the talent spread out around that team elsewhere. 

Edited by BStanRamFan
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Offer him a deal that is commensurate with his performance and value ( the cowboys have already done this)
If he insists on more, trade him away
Dolphins, Colts and Bucs all have a need at QB and eleventy bazillion in cap space

Theyve offered him less than Wentz and Goff, even though he has been better than both in every measurable way, especially when you factor in fumbles. Weve been cheap. 

Passing Rushing Receiving
Rk Player From To AV G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att Yds TD Y/A Lng Rec Yds TD Y/R Lng
1 Jared Goff 2016 2019 43 54 33-21-0 1166 1869 62.4 14219 87 91.9 94 42 106 787 7.6 7.53 6.80 6.73 112 215 6 1.9 22 0 0 0   0
2 Dak Prescott 2016 2019 60 64 40-24-0 1363 2071 65.8 15778 97 97.0 90 36 136 826 7.6 7.77 6.77 6.92 241 1221 21 5.1 42 0 0 0   0
3 Carson Wentz 2016 2019 45 56 32-24-0 1311 2055 63.8 14191 97 92.7 73 35 129 807 6.9 7.08 6.13 6.30 206 785 3 3.8 24 2 11 0 5.5 7

Per Game

Passing Rushing
Rk Player From To Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD
1 Jared Goff 2016 2019 21.6 34.6 263.3 1.6 0.8 2.0 14.6 2.1 4.0 0.1
2 Dak Prescott 2016 2019 21.3 32.4 246.5 1.5 0.6 2.1 12.9 3.8 19.1 0.3
3 Carson Wentz 2016 2019 23.4 36.7 253.4 1.7 0.6 2.3 14.4 3.7 14.0 0.1