Should the Cowboys TRADE Dak?

Uncle Buck

Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?

• Yes! Trade him, improve other areas of the team and let MM develop a rookie.
    • No! He's a great quarterback and those are hard to find. Pay the man!

38 minutes ago, Hukos said:
4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Key word there is "I". Now pretend You are Jon Gruden, Go!

Jon has 8 years left on his contract. He probably wants a QB for most of those, not just 1-2 years.

Gruden also has a knack for signing Vet FA and Wants to win a SB sooner, rather then later. Dak doesn't provide that,  the GOAT potentially does. That's not even mentioning the relationship Mayock has with Tom.

It's about Winning over the Vegas Fans, 24/7 National Media Coverage and above ALL ELSE  Making Money! Who is the bigger draw as the Raiders QB?

Tom Brady or Dak Prescott 

Edited by Nabbs4u

Just now, Nabbs4u said:

Gruden also has a knack for signing Vet FA and Wants to win a SB sooner, rather then later. Dak doesn't provide that,  the GOAT potentially does. That's not even mentioning the relationship Mayock has with Tom.

You're assuming that Brady doesn't go through what 2015 Peyton did, of course. We simply won't know what kind of condition Brady is in, that's the inherent risk of going after him.

Did you not see what Gruden's later years in TB were like? He might have been that guy in Oakland, originally - but he hasn't been the QB whisperer in a long time. Do you want to just assume he can coach up any old vet into being elite just because he did it with Rich Gannon?

This also assuming, that Brady even leaves New England. I suspect he'll still be in New England in 2020.

Dak's not a top 3 QB, but what he does do is bring stability to the QB position. That's extremely valuable, far more than you're giving it credit for. A veteran doesn't have much longer to go.

5 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

It's about Winning over the Vegas Fans, 24/7 National Media Coverage and above ALL ELSE  Making Money! Who is the bigger draw as the Raiders QB?

Tom Brady or Dak Prescott 

How many wins does Brady deliver?  Most people seem to ignore the noticeable dropoff in his play each of the past 2 seasons.  At the rate of his decline 2020 will almost surely be his final season.

3 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

How many wins does Brady deliver?  Most people seem to ignore the noticeable dropoff in his play each of the past 2 seasons.  At the rate of his decline 2020 will almost surely be his final season.

Is it just his play or the surrounding cast getting worse and worse each season as well? If Brady went to Tampa and had those weapons in 2020, still think he falls off the cliff? I don't for a second.

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Is it just his play or the surrounding cast getting worse and worse each season as well? If Brady went to Tampa and had those weapons in 2020, still think he falls off the cliff? I don't for a second.

His play has a lot more to do with it than people want to admit.  He's still very accurate on short-to-medium range throws but doesn't have any ability to stretch a defense anymore.  He was never a scrambler but has no mobility at all now.  

The cliff is right there.

On 2/6/2020 at 10:45 AM, Matts4313 said:

He is going to get paid.

This is so weird to me. I am 99% sure this is just another manufacturered media circus because we are the Cowboys. The Owner and #2 in charge have both said many, many times that getting Dak on long term contract is the #1 most important goal.

And before anyone starts with their crap, remember: Dak is better than Wentz and Goff in every measurable way. Better bulk and efficiency stats. More accolades. More wins/comebacks/etc. Better individual stats in the playoffs. 

They got paid, Dak will too. Probably about 10% more than them. 

Goff ok, but I'm sorry but you cannot convince me he is a better QB than Wentz no matter what stats you try to throw in my face.  

Back to the original post.  If I'm the Cowboys I am in no hurry to sign Dak to a long term extension, especially now with a new HC in McCarthy.

To me Dak is slightly above average but not a special QB. I'd wait to see how he does playing under the tag in year 1 of the new offensive system before committing long term big bucks to him.

Edited by topwop1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Facts be damned amiright? Lets just say eff it to evidence and stick with preconceived notions.

Stats don't always tell the whole story to me when evaluating talent.  To me, based on the eye test, Wentz is a better and more talented NFL QB.  Maybe I need to get my eyes checked but hey that just my opinion, so don't @ me bro.

4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Stats don't always tell the whole story to me when evaluating talent.  To me, based on the eye test, Wentz is a better and more talented NFL QB.  Maybe I need to get my eyes checked but hey that just my opinion, so don't @ me bro.

Oh I am going to @ you. 

Wentz is both more athletic/talented and has a stronger arm. Jay Cutler was more talented and had a stronger arm than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Which are better QBs? The stats havent come out yet (that I have seen) but I would venture to guess Wentz is about to be the league leader 3 years in a row on passes less than 5 yards. The dude is captain check down. Why this forum has such a hard on for the guy I will never understand. 

And for the record, I had him 1 spot higher than Dak going into the season. I really, really wanted us to draft him in 2016. I think he is very good. But there is literally nothing (eye or stat test) that says he is better than Dak at this point. They are the same tier QB. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Oh I am going to @ you. 

Wentz is both more athletic/talented and has a stronger arm. Jay Cutler was more talented and had a stronger arm than Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Which are better QBs? The stats havent come out yet (that I have seen) but I would venture to guess Wentz is about to be the league leader 3 years in a row on passes less than 5 yards. The dude is captain check down. Why this forum has such a hard on for the guy I will never understand. 

And for the record, I had him 1 spot higher than Dak going into the season. I really, really wanted us to draft him in 2016. I think he is very good. But there is literally nothing (eye or stat test) that says he is better than Dak at this point. They are the same tier QB. 

Fair enough.  I'm not saying Wentz is far and away a better QB than Dak.  Just my opinion, and if I was starting a team from scratch and had to choose one or the other it would be Wentz.  I just think he has more ability.

• Like 1

On 16/02/2020 at 4:31 PM, TDTimes said:

Did you look at his stat line from last season?  Almost 5,000 passing yards and 30 TD from a 4th round draft pick.  He was balling out for a long term big money contract last season; there isn't anything else to bleed out of him -- that was his top end.

If Jerry Jones pays him $35M+ on a long term deal he will do just what Elliott, Lawrence, and Jaylon Smith did -- play like he just got fat.  If they franchise him, I suspect his motivation level goes way down, and so does his numbers.

I hear you. His stat line for last year was impressive indeed but I did qualify it with an 'if anything'. I'm thinking more along the lines of getting him to take the offense by the scruff of its neck, and drag them to winning games against the better teams in the conference, with an attitude that the rest of the offense latches on to. That seemed to be what was lacking with the Cowboys last season, that intensity you see in teams with less talent. They looked like they needed a fire lit up their arse, and maybe McCarthy and his staff will bring that. 

So tagging Dak might keep him motivated for that longer term deal he hopes for. 

Edited by uk9erfan

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Fair enough.  I'm not saying Wentz is far and away a better QB than Dak.  Just my opinion, and if I was starting a team from scratch and had to choose one or the other it would be Wentz.  I just think he has more ability.

Well I'll throw the cat among the pigeons here and say that Wentz plays with more heart than Dak.