Should the Cowboys TRADE Dak?

Uncle Buck

Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Cowboys Trade Dak Prescott?

• Yes! Trade him, improve other areas of the team and let MM develop a rookie.
    • No! He's a great quarterback and those are hard to find. Pay the man!

21 minutes ago, Ryan_W said:

I didn't know state taxation was so different.

Dak staying in Texas instead of getting moved to NY or Cali is worth 10% more just on income taxes

can't believe he turned down 33M

Don't players get taxed in the state/locale they play their games in?  So if Dak was playing against the Redskins at WSH, he'd be taxed the WSH state tax.  So while it is a benefit, it's not as big as 10%.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

34 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Don't players get taxed in the state/locale they play their games in?  So if Dak was playing against the Redskins at WSH, he'd be taxed the WSH state tax.  So while it is a benefit, it's not as big as 10%.

No, the state income tax is paid based on where you live.  My understanding is that if you want to claim you live in a particular state, you have to physically spend more than half the year in that state.

14 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

I would treat Dak like Cousins. He’s stable but doesn’t elevate people. Dak on a rookie deal is an asset. Dak at 35m is heartburn.

This is a problem the league needs to do something about because at least half of the teams in the league are in this situation with their QB.

38 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

No, the state income tax is paid based on where you live.  My understanding is that if you want to claim you live in a particular state, you have to physically spend more than half the year in that state.

You sure?

It was mainly due to something in professional sports referred to as the “jock tax,” which means players have to pay the tax rate of the state they’re playing in on their salary for that game .

NFL players receive 16 checks over the course of the 166-day season. And each away-game check can be different, based on the income tax rate of the state they’re playing in.

For example, if the Jets play a game in Florida against the Miami Dolphins, the Jets players’ checks will be higher than if it were a home game, since Florida has no income tax and New York does. 

The jock tax originated in the late 1980s and early 1990s because of basketball superstar Michael Jordan, says Goldstein. Jordan was at the peak of his career and making a lot of money as a member of the Chicago Bulls, and the state of California said that since some of Jordan’s income was earned within its borders, the state should get a cut of it.

Even though the jock tax now applies to athletes in the major U.S. sports leagues — and is complex and could potentially cost them a lot of money at tax time — many players don’t know much about it.

In April, the NFL Players Association held a Personal Finance Camp to educate players on how to make their money last long after they stop playing. Armelia Rolle, who was attending for her son Antrel, a safety last season on the Chicago Bears, told MarketWatch that when one of the presenters asked how many players knew what the jock tax was, only three players raised their hands. “So that means no one has explained it to them. It’s astounding to me,” she said.

Not only do many players not know about the tax, but most young players have never had to file taxes. Goldstein recently gave a presentation to the incoming rookies on the Denver Broncos and asked how many players had ever filed a tax return. “Only one raised his hand. And now they have to file returns in every state they play games in,” he says.

With the jock tax, each team withholds federal and state income tax from its players’ game checks for all games, according to Goldstein. But overpayments — or underpayments — can still result, depending on which state the player lives in and how much his deductions amount to. 

Martin, who played four years of football at Columbia University, enters this season a member of the Jets. He will live in New Jersey, the state where the team plays its home games, so he hopes this year’s taxes will be less complicated. And he’s already taken a look at the upcoming schedule to see how certain games will impact his paycheck.

“I look forward to games in Florida,” Martin says. “Checks are a little heavier.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-jock-tax-and-why-a-professional-athletes-tax-form-can-be-as-big-as-a-bible-2016-07-27

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

Got it.  By the way, I wasn't being sarcastic, just genuinely wasn't sure if the article was wrong or outdated.

No problem.  It's probably correct.  I've owned a couple of businesses over the years so I had to learn a few things about taxes, but the jock tax didn't apply to me. 

• Like 1

Terrible idea.

You win in this league with a QB. Unless you have a back up plan for Dak you don't trade him...Unless you have some historic defense or some average QB happens to have a historic run (Like Flacco) it makes zero logical sense ever to trade a QB as good as Dak with the team that Dallas currently has.

It's like the old saying that you build a team in the trenches. The Cleveland Browns had one of the GOAT LT's and he contributed NOTHING to actually winning games for the Browns. Without a good QB to protect Thomas was almost useless. Before you guys attack me I'm not saying that Thomas sucked, he was among the GOAT LT's, but without a good QB to protect his value (no matter how good he was) was greatly diminished. In a hypothetical scenario the Browns would have won more games if they could have replaced one of the GOAT LT's with a simply average one and a pro-bowl QB. 

If you have a valid back up plan then for sure trade Dak. But if you have no one and have a talented enough team to where you wont be the worst team in the league and it precludes you from drafting the best QB's of any draft...good luck.

If we exclude "superstar QB's" then DAK is about the best you can get in the league.

31 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Tua said he wanted to play for the cowboys...

That would necessitate a trade from #17 to #3 in all likelihood.  WAS isn’t moving from #2 and the Giants likely aren’t listening to DAL on their #4 pick.

According to the NFL Trade Value Chart, the cost to do that would be DAL #17 pick, second and third round pick this year, and their first pick in 2021 — at a minimum.

That can really mortgage an organization’s future, and not give Tua much to work with.

9 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

That would necessitate a trade from #17 to #3 in all likelihood.  WAS isn’t moving from #2 and the Giants likely aren’t listening to DAL on their #4 pick.

According to the NFL Trade Value Chart, the cost to do that would be DAL #17 pick, second and third round pick this year, and their first pick in 2021 — at a minimum.

That can really mortgage an organization’s future, and not give Tua much to work with.

You forgot the one missing piece in this trade and its blatantly staring you in the face 

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

39 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

If Aaron Rodgers could slide, an injured Tua can slide in the draft. 

• Like 1