News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101376/article/mike-nolan-to-employ-more-complex-defense-in-dallas

Last time I heard talk of a complex system was Rob Ryan.... 

Last year under DC Rod Marinelli and passing-game coordinator Kris Richard, the Cowboys were a line 'em up and play style defense. Under Nolan, the Cowboys hope to be more diverse and give offenses a lot more to think about.

Nolan bringing in D-line coach Jim Tomsula and former Mike Zimmer understudy George Edwards, among others, provides hope that Dallas will get creative on defense.

"Doesn't always happen that way," Tomsula said. "I mean, I've been in different places where a guy shows up, throws a book on the table and you go. Coach Nolan is different. You can tell he's cerebral. ...He sits down and he wants your opinions. He wants your thoughts. He's always learning. He's a guy that shows up in the room with a pen and pencil."

5 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

It’s about time we start showing some creativity on both sides of the ball.

Well I'm curious. What changed from 18 to 19 with the defense? Basically the same personnel. I know we were "vanilla" over the past few years.

But did those dummies decide to make it more vanilla this past year? Or did the opposing O's catch up to it. Because obviously we were really not good this year.

20 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

But did those dummies decide to make it more vanilla this past year? Or did the opposing O's catch up to it. Because obviously we were really not good this year.

We kinda got exposed late-2018. That defense wasn’t as great as it was made out to be. It was good, which we as a fanbase were absolutely starved for.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

Well I'm curious. What changed from 18 to 19 with the defense? Basically the same personnel. I know we were "vanilla" over the past few years.

It was always vanilla coupled with a lack of accountability. I think the two combined together created a perfect mix for underachievement.

Edited by plan9misfit

• 2 weeks later...

This could be a game changer....

Per multiple sources, the proposed CBA would give first-round picks an escape hatch from the fifth-year option as currently calculated. If a first-round pick makes it to the Pro Bowl twice in his first three seasons, the amount of the fifth-year option would spike to the franchise tag for his position.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/15/new-cba-would-give-first-rounders-a-path-to-fifth-year-franchise-tag/

52 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

That’s great news for top players. I still think that the salary cap should either go away entirely or that QBs shouldn’t count toward it given how absurdly overpaid the position is.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

That’s great news for top players. I still think that the salary cap should either go away entirely or that QBs shouldn’t count toward it given how absurdly overpaid the position is.

Agreed. Either move away from the cap or let a team designate any one player a franchise player in which the contract does not count towards the cap.