News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

4 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Better spent elsewhere than a top 10 CB, who is entering the prime of his career?  I struggle with that idea, especially considering who else is available. CB isn't exactly chopped liver in today's high passing offenses.

Yep elite CB's are even more of a premium then they were in decades past. Which is why you already hear of half a dozen teams clamoring and saying they are going to be the one's who land Jones as soon as he hit's the market. People need to look up how giddy other teams are that we are letting him go. Even Ramsey didn't garner this much attention last season when he requested a trade. 

52 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Lol mmk well you better hope that this average CB is easily replaced because our secondary is about to go to our biggest need by far. Remember the yesteryears before when our secondary was in shambles? And we have 3 of these guys about to hit FA after next year. 

I didnt call him average. But people keep repeating this "OMG so many of our secondary are hitting FA!" narrative all over the internet. Here is my response:

Who cares? The only good player is Jones and he is asking to be paid like the #1 CB in the NFL. 

Replace them all 

11 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Better spent elsewhere than a top 10 CB, who is entering the prime of his career?  I struggle with that idea, especially considering who else is available.

For $16m is more than we paid Quinn, both our DTs and our entire secondary this year. So if you are telling me we spend $16m on just Jones, or lets say $20m and get Quinn and Chris Harris + a potential comp pick..... You know which way I am going?

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yep elite CB's are even more of a premium then they were in decades past. Which is why you already hear of half a dozen teams clamoring and saying they are going to be the one's who land Jones as soon as he hit's the market. People need to look up how giddy other teams are that we are letting him go. Even Ramsey didn't garner this much attention last season when he requested a trade. 

Thats cause Ramsey also cost two 1st round picks and a 4th.... 

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I didnt call him average. But people keep repeating this "OMG so many of our secondary are hitting FA!" narrative all over the internet. Here is my response:

Who cares? The only good player is Jones and he is asking to be paid like the #1 CB in the NFL. 

You said he was easily replaceable. That to me insinuates average. 

13 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Replace them all 

For $16m is more than we paid Quinn, both our DTs and our entire secondary this year. So if you are telling me we spend $16m on just Jones, or lets say $20m and get Quinn and Chris Harris + a potential comp pick..... You know which way I am going?

I thought we were going to be releasing Quinn?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You said he was easily replaceable. That to me insinuates average. 

I think his price to production makes him replaceable. 

3 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

I thought we were going to be releasing Quinn?

Quinn isnt under contract. 

27 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
38 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Better spent elsewhere than a top 10 CB, who is entering the prime of his career?  I struggle with that idea, especially considering who else is available.

I'm thinking Quinn is going to cost more than people are thinking, probably Harris too. Besides that with the expected cap jump, you can keep Quinn and the better player in Jones. I like comp. picks to, but then we're betting against the house and that Dallas is going to hit on that pick. I'll take my chances with paying Jones here over the latter.

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

My point is, many have reported him leaving. So where is the benefit of losing Jones if we are not going to bother bringing back Quinn either? 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

I'm thinking Quinn is going to cost more than people are thinking, probably Harris too. Besides that with the expected cap jump, you can keep Quinn and the better player in Jones. I like comp. picks to, but then we're betting against the house and that Dallas is going to hit on that pick. I'll take my chances with paying Jones here over the latter.

Ok, take Quinns name off and put some other mid-tier pass rushers name in there. The Packers had like a top 5 unit this year with 2 FA's. Combined they are under $25m/yr over 4 years (same cost as DLAW alone, btw). 

For $16m we could probably get 2 quality DTs.

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ok, take Quinns name off and put some other mid-tier pass rushers name in there. The Packers had like a top 5 unit this year with 2 FA's. Combined they are under $25m/yr over 4 years (same cost as DLAW alone, btw). 

You're forgetting We will need 2 quality DT's a DE and a premier corner. So how exactly does that work and who are we going to be targetting that you've heard of. Cause the only FA i've heard us connected to is Harris. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Potentially. But the Cowboys track record of spending on outside FAs and actually hitting on them leaves a lot to be desired over the past 5 years or so. They basically have gotten exactly what they paid for.

If they up the ante there, then maybe I'd have a little more faith in that philosophy.  

8 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

You're forgetting We will need 2 quality DT's a DE and a premier corner. So how exactly does that work and who are we going to be targetting that you've heard of. Cause the only FA i've heard us connected to is Harris. 

None really, because its tampering for the next 2 weeks. 

6 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Potentially. But the Cowboys track record of spending on outside FAs and actually hitting on them leaves a lot to be desired over the past 5 years or so. They basically have gotten exactly what they paid for.

If they up the ante there, then maybe I'd have a little more faith in that philosophy.  

For what its worth, spotrac has Quinn at $12 and Jones at $14.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

9 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

None really, because its tampering for the next 2 weeks. 

For what its worth, spotrac has Quinn at $12 and Jones at $14.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

How valuable is that site anymore?  I mean, they have Clowney, who doesn't know what double digit sacks feels like and is coming off a whooping 3 sacks in '19, getting $20m/yr.  They list Dak at $33m....is there even a remote chance that happens?

Came across this thread.

Some interesting thoughts....I would lean towards agreeing with most. Not sure I buy into the Quinn theory. But, sacks do make money....so I suppose it's possible. 

It's pretty disgusting in general. Worth a click and read. Seems at least a handful of the talking heads believe it to be accurate.

Edited by WizardHawk

Witten asking for his job back and getting it with no questions asked (after retiring out of nowhere and leaving them high and dry right before the draft the year before) was pretty revolting

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 1

Yep. Add to it, he's an option to bring back again and I'm really close to simply not liking him anymore. He and the organization are too clingy and that's a problem. 

But, whatever...they'll bring him back so he can continue to take snaps away from Jarwin.