News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

So our 3 biggest weakness last year were (in no particular order) 1. HC, 2. Special Teams, 3. Defense.  So we go and get a new HC, great, grand wonderful.  We then go get a new ST coach, great grand wonderful.  On Defense however, we let our top CB walk, likely let DE2 walk, have a LB who will likely have neck issues for the foreseeable future. But hey, we may get a few comp pics next year.  I hope we go all offense in the draft because the only chance our team will have is to average 30+ a game. 

26 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

So our 3 biggest weakness last year were (in no particular order) 1. HC, 2. Special Teams, 3. Defense.  So we go and get a new HC, great, grand wonderful.  We then go get a new ST coach, great grand wonderful.  On Defense however, we let our top CB walk, likely let DE2 walk, have a LB who will likely have neck issues for the foreseeable future. But hey, we may get a few comp pics next year.  I hope we go all offense in the draft because the only chance our team will have is to average 30+ a game. 

This argument doesnt make sense. We are letting players go that comprised an overall disappointing defense go. Isnt that normal? 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

This argument doesnt make sense. We are letting players go that comprised an overall disappointing defense go. Isnt that normal? 

I still do not understand how you put Jones in that category.  If we really wanted to let guys go who hurt the defense then Chido, Heath, Woods, Smith, all interior DL, Quinn all need to be released or not resigned.  Jones should not be anywhere near that group. Hell I hear no talk of us talking with Joe Thomas who 100% should be back as well.

You are really convinced that we are just going to be able to replace Jones aren't you?  Put aside the "reset the market" nonsense because the next top CB after Jones will just reset it again. It is a weak argument that completely ignores how contracts work and the future cap increases.  Remember that thing you did with Dak which was post stats/numbers all day long...do the same for Jones and see how average he is. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

I still do not understand how you put Jones in that category.  If we really wanted to let guys go who hurt the defense then Chido, Heath, Woods, Smith, all interior DL, Quinn all need to be released or not resigned.  Jones should not be anywhere near that group. Hell I hear no talk of us talking with Joe Thomas who 100% should be back as well.

You are really convinced that we are just going to be able to replace Jones aren't you?  Put aside the "reset the market" nonsense because the next top CB after Jones will just reset it again. It is a weak argument that completely ignores how contracts work and the future cap increases.  Remember that thing you did with Dak which was post stats/numbers all day long...do the same for Jones and see how average he is. 

I am convinced that with the $16m we save from Jones + our other cap space + our draft - that we can create a better defence. And if we do sign Jones, I still am not really scared of losing any of our FA defensive players this year or next. We need a rebuild.

23 minutes ago, acowboys62 said:

It doesn't make sense for us to pay him. Just us. Other teams can do that.

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

This is essentially the same defense that the year before last ranked among the best in the NFL. 

Saw a note on Bleacher Report of a good trade idea.

Trading Trysten Hill to Raiders for PJ Hall.

With Rod being on the Raiders and his love for undersized tackles, could be an opportunity for a trade that could potentially help both teams.

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

Saw a note on Bleacher Report of a good trade idea.

Trading Trysten Hill to Raiders for PJ Hall.

With Rod being on the Raiders and his love for undersized tackles, could be an opportunity for a trade that could potentially help both teams.

I would love to get Hall. He may very well be lazy but for some reason I cant stop day dreaming about all that potential being fulfilled.

This is spot on. Love the Joe Thomas comment as well. 

On 3/4/2020 at 11:00 AM, acowboys62 said:

On 3/7/2020 at 1:02 PM, plan9misfit said:

I’d take the risk if the contract price is right.

If the contract is reasonable,  do we really have to worry a lot about his health?  He'd basically be an upgrade over SuaFilo,  and and a guy that could push Williams and McGovern.   I'm always for reasonably priced Oline depth.