News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Anyone see there is speculation that the salary cap for 2021 could decrease by upwards of $80m due to COVID-19? 

I can’t link the tweet for some reason. There is a bunch of stuff on Twitter about it. 

And that would send a lot of players packing NFL wide and you could say good bye to Daks huge contract

9 hours ago, D82 said:

Dak’s worst season is still better than Dalton’s best...

Nobody is debating if Dalton is better. What we are debating is this team can go 8-8 with Dalton just like it did last year with Dak and save 30 million dollars in the process. 

7 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Too true. Everyone's upset at Dak wanting that money but the price goes up every year. Is Dak as good as Mahomes? NO. Wilson? No. etc

But he also is younger than Wilson, on the rise like Mahomes (albeit Mahomes in a whole other level), and he earned that money. He may be top paid QB but not for very long. It's just the business side of the NFL and how it works. We don't have to like it.

But truth is Dak earned to be in this position. For four seasons now the young man has played well beyond anyone expected and is still getting better, starting as raw as he did. Its unfortunate he didnt win his rookie year like this team honestly deserved, but Rodgers did the same to Romo. The team after that was not playing at the level deserving of big success l, and it's not Daks fault. Just as it isn't all on Rodgers that he has one ring, and it isn't all on Brady that he has 6. This team needs to play better, and this rosters middle and bottom players need a serious overhaul.

We all know how it works but the Cowboys are adamant about bucking that trend. It was a stupid trend to begin with. I mean who pays average QBs top dollars as if they're Brady, Mahomes and Rodgers. It's not good for business 

7 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
7 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Why do I keep hearing that everyone else needs to play better but Dak? He took a major step forward this year, but lets be honest the only person who really regressed this year on offense was Fat Zeke. Everyone else stepped up and that benefited Dak big time. But when the players themselves aren't coming through then that 35M a year QB should elevate those around and do something about putting us in a position to win. 

“Everyone else stepped up”

My question to you is, what on Earth would have to happen for you to believe Dak elevated those around him?

Because, apparently his teammates all elevating their play at the same time isn't evidence of that. So what is? 

Cooper:

OAK: 96 targets, 48 receptions (50%) 680 yards

DAL: 119 target, 79 reception  (66%) 1189 yards (best season in career)

Cobb:

GNB: 92 tgt, 66 rec(72%) , 653 yards <= with Aaron Rodgers

DAL: 83 tgt, 55 red (66%), 828 yards <= best season in in 5 years

Oline:

2018: 9.6% sack rate

2019: 3.7% sack rate

2018: #22 offense

2019: #1 offense (With Dak accounting for 75% of the yards, 65% of the TDs, 65% of our first down)

Looks like he elevated the WR's, the OL and the offense in general.

But having a bad defense, special teams and a team that gave up on the coaching staff are clearly all his fault! Damn him.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Cooper:

OAK: 96 targets, 48 receptions (50%) 680 yards

DAL: 119 target, 79 reception  (66%) 1189 yards (best season in career)

Cobb:

GNB: 92 tgt, 66 rec(72%) , 653 yards <= with Aaron Rodgers

DAL: 83 tgt, 55 red (66%), 828 yards <= best season in in 5 years

Oline:

2018: 9.6% sack rate

2019: 3.7% sack rate

2018: #22 offense

2019: #1 offense (With Dak accounting for 75% of the yards, 65% of the TDs, 65% of our first down)

Looks like he elevated the WR's, the OL and the offense in general.

But having a bad defense, special teams and a team that gave up on the coaching staff are clearly all his fault! Damn him.

Amari has never played with an All pro RB before. Hes never had someone to take the pressure off of him like Zeke does when people load the box to stop him leaving Amari with one on one situations. 

When has Dak had a WR that could win one on one situations and get separation like Amari does?? 

These guys compliment one another well. That's why theyve had their best year statistically ever. 

When dealing with stats you need to look at context as well. 

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

Amari has never played with an All pro RB before. Hes never had someone to take the pressure off of him like Zeke does when people load the box to stop him leaving Amari with one on one situations. 

Zeke drew a loaded box 17% (24th RB) of the time last year. which means 83% of the time, teams were playing coverages. 

ZEKE DOES NOTHING TO HELP OUR PASS GAME (BESIDES BLOCK)

*For comparison, Derek Henry drew a loaded box like 60% of the time. Teams play the titans, the play the run. Teams play the Cowboys, they play the pass.

When has Dak had a WR that could win one on one situations and get separation like Amari does?? 

Cole Beasely? But the point is Derick Carr had Amari and Amari was putting up #2 WR numbers his last year there. He came here and Dak elevated him. Amari has said it himself. 

These guys compliment one another well. That's why theyve had their best year statistically ever. 

When dealing with stats you need to look at context as well. 

Ive looked at it all. All the context.

The only other person you can give credit to is Kellen Moore. If you are looking for "context".

Edited by Matts4313

3 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Nobody is debating if Dalton is better. What we are debating is this team can go 8-8 with Dalton just like it did last year with Dak and save 30 million dollars in the process. 

...because that 8-8 record is definitely the fault of the QB who just had his best season. Jesus....¬¬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

Do people forget that Dalton his first 5 years never had an 8-8 record. 4 of those years he had double digit wins. That was when he had a stacked roster like Dak does. Case closed

Thats been addressed. Dalton was credited with an EPA of 23 points over those 4 years. That means that according to the mathmaticians, Daltons play alone was worth 23 points.... over 4 years.... The rest of it was him being carried.

Daks first 4 years? He is responsible for almost 400 points.

Dalton also had Zimmer, Jay Gruden, a ridiculous defense... and he choked hard all 4 years in the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Zeke drew a loaded box 17% (24th least in the NFL) of the time last year. which means 83% of the time, teams were playing coverages. 

ZEKE DOES NOTHING TO HELP OUR PASS GAME (BESIDES BLOCK)

*For comparison, Derek Henry drew a loaded box like 60% of the time. Teams play the titans, the play the run. Teams play the Cowboys, they play the pass.

Cole Beasely? But the point is Derick Carr had Amari and Amari was putting up #2 WR numbers his last year there. He came here and Dak elevated him. Amari has said it himself. 

Ive looked at it all. All the context.

The only other person you can give credit to is Kellen Moore. If you are looking for "context".

Beasley you mean the guy that's sucking it up in Buffalo that Cole Beasley?? You could easily correlate Zeke nit getting a loaded box last year because Dallas was behind most of the game and teams knee Dallas had to pass. That's the context you are over looking and just basing it off look see. Teams loaded the box against the Titans because they're a running team plain and simple. Just as Dallas was a running team all up until last year because of the team playing catch up. Still cant deny the fact that Amari had no help in Oakland. Who were the RBs he played with to take pressure off of him?? IIRC Amari wasnt the #1 in Oakland, wasnt that Crabtree?? 

7 minutes ago, D82 said:

...because that 8-8 record is definitely the fault of the QB who just had his best season. Jesus....¬¬

Ohhh ok so now it's not all on the QB for the win loss record?? Kinda convenient you get to pick and choose when it is. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats been addressed. Dalton was credited with an EPA of 23 points over those 4 years. That means that according to the mathmaticians, Daltons play alone was worth 23 points.... over 4 years.... The rest of it was him being carried.

Daks first 4 years? He is responsible for almost 400 points.

Dalton also had Zimmer, Jay Gruden, a ridiculous defense... and he choked hard all 4 years in the playoffs.

In 4 years Dalton was only responsible for 23 points?? The dude touches the ball on every play. Did they run the wildcat for 4 years or something?? How that is possible is beyond me. 23 points in 4 years. So then kickers are more valuable than QBs since kickers alone get about 200 points a year. I'm not understanding the numbers from those mathematicians

8 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

Beasley you mean the guy that's sucking it up in Buffalo that Cole Beasley??

Cole put up 800 yards. The same as Amari and Cobbs towards the end of their time in OAK/GB...... You are just making stuff up right now. 

You could easily correlate Zeke nit getting a loaded box last year because Dallas was behind most of the game and teams knee Dallas had to pass.

Wrong, because #1 we were not behind most the time. And #2 Zeke has *NEVER* drew a lot of loaded boxes. Its *ALWAYS* been dumb Cowboys rhetoric. He normally hovers around 20%. Which is about  ~15th best RB. League average. 

That's the context you are over looking and just basing it off look see. Teams loaded the box against the Titans because they're a running team plain and simple. Just as Dallas was a running team all up until last year because of the team playing catch up. Still cant deny the fact that Amari had no help in Oakland. Who were the RBs he played with to take pressure off of him?? IIRC Amari wasnt the #1 in Oakland, wasnt that Crabtree?? 

Amari was their #1, also had cook and crabtree. Carr was a probowler. They had 1550 yards rushing.... I mean, they went 12-4 and made the playoffs the year before. So once again, you are making stuff up.

2 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

In 4 years Dalton was only responsible for 23 points?? The dude touches the ball on every play. Did they run the wildcat for 4 years or something?? How that is possible is beyond me. 23 points in 4 years. So then kickers are more valuable than QBs since kickers alone get about 200 points a year. I'm not understanding the numbers from those mathematicians

Thats not how EPA works. Lets say you are driving and you throw for 6 yards on 3rd and 8 That would be -7 points because you killed the drive. But lets say  on 3 and 4, your QB scrambles for 5. You score a TD. That would be +7.

So it means that Dalton killed a lot of drives by not converting 3rd downs and possible turnovers.

Dak on the other hand kept a lot of drives alive as well as didnt have many turnovers. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Cole put up 800 yards. The same as Amari and Cobbs towards the end of their time in OAK/GB...... You are just making stuff up right now. 

Wrong, because #1 we were not behind most the time. And #2 Zeke has *NEVER* drew a lot of loaded boxes. Its *ALWAYS* been dumb Cowboys rhetoric. He normally hovers around 20%. Which is about  ~15th best RB. League average. 

Amari was their #1, also had cook and crabtree. Carr was a probowler. They had 1550 yards rushing.... I mean, they went 12-4 and made the playoffs the year before. So once again, you are making stuff up.

Thats not how EPA works. Lets say you are driving and you throw for 6 yards on 3rd and 8 That would be -7 points because you killed the drive. But lets say  on 3 and 4, your QB scrambles for 5. You score a TD. That would be +7.

So it means that Dalton killed a lot of drives by not converting 3rd downs and possible turnovers.

Dak on the other hand kept a lot of drives alive as well as didnt have many turnovers. 

I read an article somewhere that said the Bills overpaid for him and may think about getting rid of him. But I just looked up his stats and it looks like he had a better statistical year in Buffalo than any time hes had here in Dallas. So does that mean Dak was holding him back?? I mean since Dak is making Amari and everyone around him better why didnt he do that with Cole?? 

Maybe Amari didnt want to be in Oakland. A change of scenery helps sometimes. To me that was more the issue than Dak making him better. Its not like the guy isnt talented. It's no coincidence Dak has improved greatly once Amari got here and vice versa. They comment one another well as I've said before. BOTH help one another out. Dak helps Amari by throwing a good catchable ball, sometimes. And Amari helps out Dak by getting separation and not having to throw him open, sometimes. It's a give and take. Dont act like it's only a one way street.

If you ask me would I rather have the Cowboys pay Dak 40 million which is what he wants or play the season with Dalton and possibly tank for Fields or Lawrence to me that's a no brainer. 

47 minutes ago, D82 said:

But then in 2018 we hear "Dak led us to the playoffs and into the divisional round" yet the defense carried us the majority of the year.

So when we win, its Dak.

When we lose it's either Fat Zeke, Receivers drop passes, our kicker, our defense or our coach.

Got it.

• Like 2