News and Notes: Offseason Edition

Matts4313

So Michael Irvin, who I guess is pretty tight with Jamal Adams, is claiming the Jets want a 1 and a 3. What are you willing to trade given that he has one year left on his deal before you have to make him the highest paid safety in the league? Considering we have an extra 3 coming to us from Byron Jones, I'd consider that. But it would be really tough to not have a 1st round pick in 2 of the last 3 drafts.

15 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

So Michael Irvin, who I guess is pretty tight with Jamal Adams, is claiming the Jets want a 1 and a 3. What are you willing to trade given that he has one year left on his deal before you have to make him the highest paid safety in the league? Considering we have an extra 3 coming to us from Byron Jones, I'd consider that. But it would be really tough to not have a 1st round pick in 2 of the last 3 drafts.

I'd give up next years 1st and not really think twice about it.

12 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Hmmm I wonder if this actually becomes a story instead of him trying to make it a story.

It’s sickening how the media constantly attaches the Cowboys name to everything:

Media: “No news about contract negotiations with Dak?! Let’s make one up!!!”

Media: “Jamal Adams is having issues with the Jets? Cowboys, baby!!!”

Edited by Tony7188

1 minute ago, Tony7188 said:

It’s sickening how the media constantly attaches the Cowboys name to everything:

Media: “No news about contract negotiations with Dak?! Let’s make one up!!!”

Media: “Jamal Adams is having issues with the Jets? Cowboys, baby!!!”

In fairness, we showed interest last year. Of course, the original report claimed that about half the league would be calling - which is definitely true.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I would

At least we're using 1sts to grab star players with pedigree

The only downside is you lose the 4 years of cheap contract a player has after drafted. But when you factor in the bust potential and the so/so play in their 1st season while they adapt to the pro game, it's worth it if you are truly getting young game breaker talent

Plus I'm all about investing on the defense

7 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

I would

At least we're using 1sts to grab star players with pedigree

The only downside is you lose the 4 years of cheap contract a player has after drafted. But when you factor in the bust potential and the so/so play in their 1st season while they adapt to the pro game, it's worth it if you are truly getting young game breaker talent

Plus I'm all about investing on the defense

Definitely fair points and I think I would lean towards doing it at this point. I also feel like this team is on the cusp, so it would be a worthwhile sacrifice at this point. I also feel much more confident in Nolan getting the most out of Adams as opposed to Marinelli/Richard.

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Adams will be 25 come October, so he'd only be 2-3 years older than most rookies coming into the league...so while I'd really hate to give up a 1st again...he's one of the few players out there that would be worth it. And, like you said, we'd still have another 3rd thanks to letting Jones walk. 

Nolan's defense runs a lot of different looks, and with Adams' ability to play FS/SS/Nickel and I think they even had him line up at LB a few times...he'd give us a lot of flexibility in the secondary. 

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'm not giving up a 1 and a 3. I'd offer something else. I can't justify giving up multiple high picks and then hand out a massive contract on top of it. If we p!ss away a ton of money on our QB, all that does is guarantee that other key players will walk because we won't be able to afford them.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

I'm not giving up a 1 and a 3. I'd offer something else. I can't justify giving up multiple high picks and then hand out a massive contract on top of it. If we p!ss away a ton of money on our QB, all that does is guarantee that other key players will walk because we won't be able to afford them.

Exactly. If we pay Dak that kind of money, we have to nail the draft. Is Adams worth a 1st? 100% However, having to pay him $15 mill a year will come at the expense of someone else.

I would throw in a 2nd, our 3rd round comp and let them pick a player between Lewis, Awuzie, Woods or Connor Williams.

2 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Obviously, I'd try to get them to take less. But, if it has to be a 1st and 3rd to get it done, so be it. I'd do it and not look back. As for the salary cap implications, I don't care. 

I'll pass on Adams. Not knowing what the salary cap would look like next year puts not just us but every NFL team in a jam. We still have to pay our QB and if the Cap decreases we will have to release players rather than acquiring more assets. I think we should continue to draft well and hopefully our safety will come.

I think something about Adams that can't be understated is the locker room impact he would have. Outside of maybe Lawrence, do we really have that Alpha in the locker room on defense? He would just bring a whole new attitude to the secondary on top of his obvious talent.

• Like 2