Sign in to follow this  
Karnage84

A Very Merry FebTober Mock

We are in the midst of Febtober and Sean Connery will soon be climbing through the window to give us all a gin martini and Pen-is Mightier's. In that spirit, here is the gift of a fresh mock.

This is primarily made up of what I think could happen and sprinkled in a bit of what I would like to see. 

• Snacks retires
  • Taylor Decker extended 5 years x $13M APY
  • Darius Slay extended 2 years x $14M APY
  • Kenny Golladay extended 5 years x $16M APY
  • Matthew Stafford restructures his contract to open  up additional $9M in cap space
  • Rick Wagner takes a paycut to $9.5M
  • JD McKissic is signed to 2nd round ERFA
  • Tavon Wilson re-signed for $1M
  • Logan Thomas re-signed for $1M
  • Mike Daniels re-signed for $6M 1 Year
  • Mike Ford and Dee Virgin brought back for RFA tenders ($660k/each)

Team Needs: RG, WR3, QB2, CB2, DT(2), DE

Enter Free Agency with $42M

FREE AGENCY

• DJ Reader, DT 5 years x $12M APY
  • Halapoulivaati Vaitai, OG/OT 4 years x $4M
  • Case Keenum, QB 1 Year x $3.5M
  • Geronimo Allison, WR 3 years x $3.5M

RG, WR3, QB2, CB2, DT, DE

DRAFT

Detroit trades #3 overall for #5 and #26

Some pundits expect the Lions to get more and others expect them to get less. This is right in the middle of what they can get back in terms of compensation

#5: Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio State: A shutdown corner to pair with Slay and eventually replace him. 

#26: Austin Jackson, OT, USC: Despite re-signing Decker and retaining Wagner, Jackson provides great value. He could potentially start at LT and replace Decker as LTOTF or be our long-term solution at RT. We have a QB that is struggling with injuries, protecting him has to be a high priority. Shoring up the right side of the line also should help with our run game in a big way. Wagner could always be a post-draft trade candidate and/or cap casualty with Jackson locked up.

#35: Bradlee Anae, Edge, Utah: Looked phenomenal at the Senior Bowl with the Patricia coached North squad. Should be a high floor player and immediate contributor

#67: Malik Harrison, MLB, Ohio State: Fits the size profile the Lions are looking for while also looking like an improvement in coverage. 

#106: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne: A larger safety, can play that hybrid LB/S role. Small school guy that has some upside

#149: Raequan Williams, DT, Michigan State: Offers up some pass rushing ability. Has some tools to develop

#172: James Proche, WR, SMU: The Lions saw this guy up close. As a team in need of a WR3, Proche could develop into that guy and offer some immediate production in the slot. Should be available later as his measurables won't jump off the page. 

#182: Joshua Kelley, RB, UCLA: Another Senior Bowl standout. Kerryon has his health issues and they've seen Kelley be successful while working with their staff. 

QB: Stafford, Keenum, Blough

RB: K.Johnson, Scarborough, McKissic, J. Kelley, T. Johnson

WR: Golladay, M. Jones, G. Allison, M. Hall, Fulgham, Proche

TE: Hockenson, James, Thomas, Nauuta

LT: Decker

LG: Dahl

OC: Ragnow

RG: Vaitai

RT: Jackson, Wagner

DE:Flowers

DT: Daniels, Williams

DT: Reader

DE: Hand, Anae

Jack LB: Kennard, Anae

MLB: Tavai, Harrison, Davis

WLB: C. Jones

CB: Slay, Oruwariye

CB: Okudah, Ford

SB: Coleman

FS: Walker, Dugger

SS: Wilson, Harris

Edited by Karnage84
  • Like 3

I like it. There are a couple of guys I'd like to see as a Lion.  I kind of think Dugger might be one of them.

33 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I like it. There are a couple of guys I'd like to see as a Lion.  I kind of think Dugger might be one of them.

I have been on the Dugger bandwagon for a little while.  I don't like Austin Jackson much, I think he is one that will slide while Becton and others move up ahead of him.  I like the positions addressed but not always the player I'd prefer.  Good work overall. 

5 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I have been on the Dugger bandwagon for a little while.  I don't like Austin Jackson much, I think he is one that will slide while Becton and others move up ahead of him.  I like the positions addressed but not always the player I'd prefer.  Good work overall. 

Thanks for the feedback.

TDN's profile indicates that he might be better suited at RT, which I was ok with because it's still a rather important position. Jack Conklin is a guy that was drafted fairly high and is exclusively an RT slated to make $15M on the open market. 

Alternatively, I would probably look at Marlon Davidson depending on Hand's health. 

30 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Becton is another that is high on my list.  I don't see anyway of us landing him though without over reaching or trading down then trading back up.

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Becton is another that is high on my list.  I don't see anyway of us landing him though without over reaching or trading down then trading back up.

Becton went at #8 in this mock so we would REALLY have to like him in order to get him. 

I like Kenneth Murray but wondering if I like him that much more than Malik Harrison who is available much later in the draft. 

Yeah, I think he's worth it at 8, but not for the Lions right now. I'd rather have a few others ahead of him.

4 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, I think he's worth it at 8, but not for the Lions right now. I'd rather have a few others ahead of him.

I'm starting my work on the CB's and trying to see if there is anyone else that I like outside of Okudah. Then I'll probably move onto LB's, Edge and DT. 

People getting a little crazy on Becton. He's a fun size/movement skills combination, but he has very few true pass blocking sets on tape and bodies that size are difficult to maintain. 

On 2/8/2020 at 5:36 PM, Nastradamus said:

People getting a little crazy on Becton. He's a fun size/movement skills combination, but he has very few true pass blocking sets on tape and bodies that size are difficult to maintain. 

You're probably right, but I think he is a great prospect on his size/movement alone.  If we ended up with two draft picks in the first and he fell to the late teens early 20s, I wouldn't be upset one bit if we grabbed him.