Pre Combine Hitman Mock 2.0

Steeler Hitman

maxresdefault.jpg

Football season is not even a full week over and I am crying like a little baby! I need a hug!!!!

th?id=OIP.c1zTkhBDE8aOmxCc0HHguwHaER&pid

I am not using website tools or any data other than this is  who I like and who I hope will be there.  If I am unrealistic please say so, but my head spins like a top listening to all these so called experts with their mock predictions and then seeing them backpedal as we get loser to the actual draft.  

First pick traded to Miami for Minkah Fotpatrick!  We got an all pro safety for the 18th pick. I'd say we did pretty darn good with that one! second year player that came to the Steelers and solidified the back end of the defense.  He got challenged early and made teams pay.  Opponents learned to throw away from him!

usatsi_13657212.jpg?w=1000&h=671

Round 2 Pick:

I have a few players that I like here in this scenario: IOL's Wisconsin's Tyler Biadiasz, LSU Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU's ILB Patrick Queen, LSU's WR Justin Jefferson, Minnesota's Safety Antoine Winfield Jr. I stick with my board and take my top rated player among these players Tyler slightly over Cushenberry right now Truthfully happy with any of these guys. C Tyler Biadaz Wisconsin 6'3 320 lbs of beautiful corn fed offensive lineman. He will play OG and fill the void left by Foster and possibly Finney.  He will then take over and become the next in a great tradition of Steelers OC's. 

maxresdefault.jpg

5d48852c528f9.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Round Three Pick"

In a surprise move, I take FSU RB Cam Aikers 5'11 210. I know, I know, I know, but as I said in some other threads, he is the top guy on my board here and good value. I took him over 6'6 Texas WR Collin Johnson, Notre Dame TE Cole C'met. and Clemson's K'Von Wallace. We got a RB that can tote the rock should Connor go down and offers a little more all around game than what we cirrently have on the roster.

maxresdefault.jpg

Round 4 A Pick:

We missed dream pick Randy Moss by a few spots some yearsearlier. We finally got our Moss (Thaddeus) that is. 

usatsi_13905141.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Round 4 B Pick:

S Antoine Brooks Maryland

ALIWH6MWGYZOPCONIC2HXE54FQ.jpg

Round 6 Pick: 

Jabari Zuniga Florida Gators. I had him on my last mock, but his name is dropping some. Great value here and we get some Gator Aid for the OLB position!

University-of-Florida-redshirt-junior-Ja

Round 7

turk-620-620x370.png

Michael Turk Arizona P 6'1 225 We have Big Ben back. We will improve our OL and rushing attack to be more balanced.  Our defense is vastly improved and with a big McNasty in the middle will help our run defense along with three better than average LB's and Cam and Tuitt along the DL.  Berry has been average to slightly better or slightly below average. Time to upgrade here. In the words of his coach Herman Edwards, "You play the game to win!"  Getting more consistent punting will help.

Overall not sexy, but I made scrambled eggs out of those that dropped to us. I would have loved an ILB to pair with Bush, but didn't work that way.  Biadaz falling hurt my chances, though I may have been very tempted to take Jefferson instead. It is tough with only six draft picks. Only good way to add is to drop and hope yu have some good players targeted later that will be there. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I like it. Can't plug all our holes in this draft but I'd like NT or ILB to be addressed. Maybe in lieu of Brooks. But I'd be pleased with this haul. 

I have said in previous posts that I would try to sign a veteran NG/DT like Andrew Billings or A'Shawn Robinson.  The ILB has Ulysses Grant who can be an LJ Fort type for us and Robert "Mickey" Spillane can take over Dirty Red's spot.  Although Dirty Red is one of my favorite players and I have rooted for him since his days at Temple, he probably won't be re-signed. We still have Vince Williams to line up next to Bush. Yes he is a liability in passing, but his stuffing has improved over the past few years. Not a bad person to pair with Bush on first down when you are going base.  I would have liked the insurance of a higher ranked ILB (draft or Vet), but I felt that safety is a bigger need. We have more questions there than at ILB.

Minkah - - If he continues to learn and grow, he could be all-world. The heartbeat of the back-end.

Edmunds - - Loaded with athletic talent, but can he make a Bud Dupree like jump at safety?

Davis - - ???? I would love to sign him to a one year deal that let's him reset his value and also prove he is more than just a starting safety.  I think he may actually pair better with Minkah at the back end and move Edmunds into the box in three man safety sets.  If he stays we are set with a trio, if he leaves, nothing.

Dangerfield - - I root for the Towson Tiger.  Good team guy and will knock you into next week. But.... besides special teams, I would not be comfortable with him roaming the back end. Having Minkah makes everyone else better, but he doesn't have the athletcism f Edmunds and we see how he was picked on late in the year particularly when people stopped throwing on Minkah's side. 

Allen - -Loved him coming out of Penn State and thought that he may develop, but has not done much of anything. I have no faith in him. 

Battle and Mathews are journeyman or training camp types until they prove otherwise.  

So if Davis leaves, the Steelers are paper thin at safety.  At ILB, I didn't even list Barron as I expect the Steelers to cut him due to salary.  The cap is going to be an issue as well. This is where the team will have to get creative to sign their own and one or two mid to lower tier free agents that can help the team.  

34 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I have said in previous posts that I would try to sign a veteran NG/DT like Andrew Billings or A'Shawn Robinson.  The ILB has Ulysses Grant who can be an LJ Fort type for us and Robert "Mickey" Spillane can take over Dirty Red's spot.  Although Dirty Red is one of my favorite players and I have rooted for him since his days at Temple, he probably won't be re-signed. We still have Vince Williams to line up next to Bush. Yes he is a liability in passing, but his stuffing has improved over the past few years. Not a bad person to pair with Bush on first down when you are going base.  I would have liked the insurance of a higher ranked ILB (draft or Vet), but I felt that safety is a bigger need. We have more questions there than at ILB.

Minkah - - If he continues to learn and grow, he could be all-world. The heartbeat of the back-end.

Edmunds - - Loaded with athletic talent, but can he make a Bud Dupree like jump at safety?

Davis - - ???? I would love to sign him to a one year deal that let's him reset his value and also prove he is more than just a starting safety.  I think he may actually pair better with Minkah at the back end and move Edmunds into the box in three man safety sets.  If he stays we are set with a trio, if he leaves, nothing.

Dangerfield - - I root for the Towson Tiger.  Good team guy and will knock you into next week. But.... besides special teams, I would not be comfortable with him roaming the back end. Having Minkah makes everyone else better, but he doesn't have the athletcism f Edmunds and we see how he was picked on late in the year particularly when people stopped throwing on Minkah's side. 

Allen - -Loved him coming out of Penn State and thought that he may develop, but has not done much of anything. I have no faith in him. 

Battle and Mathews are journeyman or training camp types until they prove otherwise.  

So if Davis leaves, the Steelers are paper thin at safety.  At ILB, I didn't even list Barron as I expect the Steelers to cut him due to salary.  The cap is going to be an issue as well. This is where the team will have to get creative to sign their own and one or two mid to lower tier free agents that can help the team.  

All sound arguments. I like the idea of Billings if they could pull it off.  However, we don't know what we have in Gilbert, I don't see much special in Spillane and VW isn't a Starter in today's NFL. IF Baron is cut, ILB is thinner then Safety IMO.  

Edited by Chieferific

With the cap as tight as it is I have a hard time justifying keeping Allen and Davis.  Vannett you can do.  Dangerfield you can make a case for due to safety depth and ST.  Unless they pull a Belichick and let them all walk for the comp picks next year, I see very few FA signings for the Steelers( beyond RFA).

41 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

All sound arguments. I like the idea of Billings if they could pull it off.  However, we don't know what we have in Gilbert, I don't see much special in Spillane and VW isn't a Starter in today's NFL. IF Baron is cut, ILB is thinner then Safety IMO. 

I mean, if Bush is as good as he should be, we shouldn't need tons of depth. VW doesn't have to be a starter. He just needs to play on run downs. We don't usually use a bunch of ILB's anyway. Gilbert and Spillane are as good as anyone else on ST, which is all they're really needed for. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I mean, if Bush is as good as he should be, we shouldn't need tons of depth. VW doesn't have to be a starter. He just needs to play on run downs. We don't usually use a bunch of ILB's anyway. Gilbert and Spillane are as good as anyone else on ST, which is all they're really needed for. 

A case can be made for depth at both positions but as you know, we start 2 ILBs. VW isn't starter imo. We don't know what Gilbert offers and Spillane is nothing but JAG.  IF Baron leaves, they have exactly 1 PROVEN starting ILB. 

40 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

A case can be made for depth at both positions but as you know, we start 2 ILBs. VW isn't starter imo. We don't know what Gilbert offers and Spillane is nothing but JAG.  IF Baron leaves, they have exactly 1 PROVEN starting ILB. 

I'm not sure where the narrative of VW not being starting material is coming from. Dude is a good run stopper, he's becoming underrated in coverage, great blitzer, and he's a vocal team leader. People talk like Vince is Daniel McCullers out there. 

• Like 3

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not sure where the narrative of VW not being starting material is coming from. Dude is a good run stopper, he's becoming underrated in coverage, great blitzer, and he's a vocal team leader. People talk like Vince is Daniel McCullers out there. 

VW is terrible in Coverage and has no ability to reach the Corner.  We will never see eye to eye if you think VW is a viable starting ILB.  

Vince fits a role especially with Bush just going into 2nd year and a questionable NT situation.

Overpaid yes...would have been a great 1990s ILB...yes....but he plays his role well and the Steelers hardly save anything by cutting him...he’s not going anywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

The Steelers play about 65% Nickel defenses.  The days of the base 3-4 being played about 50% of the time is gone with the type of offenses and formations that teams run out of anyway.  I am not the biggest Williams fan, but i think he definitely improved in his run defense from 2016 and 2017.  Gilbert is athletic and that is what Baron is said to be.  To quote Sterling Sharpe against former Steeler ILB Earl Holmes, "You are the weak link of those LB's." (in reference to Barron). I think Williams is a more valuable assett, plus the way his contract is set up, the team doesn't get much relief cutting him. I agree that I am totally gambling with Grant instead of Barron.  I am also looking for some depth or a player that I may be able to sign for a much friendlier cap number if the draft went as I mocked.  Spilliane would replace Dirty Red only.  Our ILB's wouldn't be drastically different with the exception of Barron's experience. As I have stated, I was not a fan of what I saw on the field and really wish we could have kept LJ Fort.  He left for greener ($$$) pastures in Philly and ultimately ended up in B-more. As far as ILB or Safety depth, I may be arguing over which of us has the uglier prom date? :D

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

With the cap as tight as it is I have a hard time justifying keeping Allen and Davis.  Vannett you can do.  Dangerfield you can make a case for due to safety depth and ST.  Unless they pull a Belichick and let them all walk for the comp picks next year, I see very few FA signings for the Steelers( beyond RFA).

My only argument for keeping Davis is depth right now. I don't think he will command a whopping contract. He was hurt for most of the year and let's face it e didn't exactly light it up in 2018 either.  This may be the best place for him to play on a prove it type deal and get his value $$$ up. I agree that the team only signs one or two guys and they definitely won't be the top tier or most in demand players. I do think the team is going all in to try to make a run in 2020. With litle cap space or draft picks, they will be very creative and shrewd in doing that.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I learned about the need of some quality back-ups behind the starters seeing Shazier and Ben go down.  This is the salary cap era, so you are limited in what you can do.  Because of the types of deenses and what is needed, I think Grant will be given every opportnity to play in the Nickel or dime where he can be effective in coverage.  That is what the team needs to replace Barron. You would prefer a more established name, but can Grant drop in zone or cover? Depending upon how far from grace he has fallen (By that I mean value $$$). This is where signig someone like Vic Beasley could help. He is not a good pass rusher, but is good at dropping and in coverage. Put him in the middle of the Nickel or Dime. 

54 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

The word starter is bantered more than what a traditional starter was years ago. Now it is specialty players. VW is a first down and short yardage run stuffer. His value would be there. If we keep Mark Barron, I still see ILB as a problem.  In fact it prevents us from doing what is necessary to keep better players (like Bud).  You are limited and can't have greatness (like Harrison behind Porter) the starters. However, you can make the most of what you have.  Grant has the ability to cover.  The Steelers have six picks and are limited with the cap. I don't think Barron is the answer either. 

Roster Snapshot based on Mock 2.0

Offense (25)

QB - - Ben, Mason Paxton or Duck (3)

RB - - Connor, Aikers, Snell, Samuels or Whyte (4)

FB - - Rosie Nix (1)

WR - - Ju Ju, Dionte, Washington, Cain, Darboh (5)

TE - - Vannett, Moss, Gentry or CSW (3)

OT - - Fieler, Villy, Banner, Chuks (4)

OG - - DeCastro, Biadasz, Derwin G (3)

OC - - Pouncey, BJ (Biadasz) (2)

Defense (25)

DE - - Cam, Tuitt, Buggs, Walton (tough, but I cut Tyson if I can't resture). (4)

NG - - Billings, ( I sign a rookie free agent witha pulse) NO more McCullers!!! (2)

ILB - - Bush, VW, Gilbert, Spillane (4)

OLB - - Watt, Bud, Ola, Spipper, Zuniga (5)

CB - - Haden, Nelson, Cam, Hilton, Lane (5)

FS/SS - -  Minkah, Edmunds, Davis, Brooks, Dangerfield (use Hilton if necessary) (5) 

ST (3)

K - - Boz

P - -  Da Turk

L/S - - Cannady

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Added 53 man roster

2 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Vince fits a role especially with Bush just going into 2nd year and a questionable NT situation.

Overpaid yes...would have been a great 1990s ILB...yes....but he plays his role well and the Steelers hardly save anything by cutting him...he’s not going anywhere.

VW had 52 tackles in 14 games.  He isn't playing much.  Why?  He doesn't fit the scheme they wan to run. Again, IF Baron leaves they need to find another ILB that fits their scheme. 

9 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

The word starter is bantered more than what a traditional starter was years ago. Now it is specialty players. VW is a first down and short yardage run stuffer. His value would be there. If we keep Mark Barron, I still see ILB as a problem.  In fact it prevents us from doing what is necessary to keep better players (like Bud).  You are limited and can't have greatness (like Harrison behind Porter) the starters. However, you can make the most of what you have.  Grant has the ability to cover.  The Steelers have six picks and are limited with the cap. I don't think Barron is the answer either. 

Forget the Starter moniker.  Who plays more?  VW or Baron?  I agree Baron should go.  Therefore he needs to be replaced.  The argument could be made that Gilbert can replace him but how in the World do you replace Baron with VW.  It makes no sense.  

Edited by Chieferific

2 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Forget the Starter moniker.  Who plays more?  VW or Baron?  I agree Baron should go.  Therefore he needs to be replaced.  The argument could be made that Gilbert can replace him but how in the World do you replace Baron with VW.  It makes no sense.  

As I have said VW is the first down run stuffer. U. Gilbert is the one I am gambling on to replace Baron.  Again Mock scenario, six picks and i only signed one UFA NG Billings base on the cap. Ideally, I am waiting for cap casualties or cuts to sign Safety, TE, and ILB help. They ended up signing Bostic late like that. I am not so sure that playing Baron more than VW was the answer. No doubt Baron could cover better (though I didn't see a tomn of great coverage, but VW can blitz and drop in zone. This is not perfect, but making lemonade out of the lemons that you have.  Ideally, yes draft or sign an athletic ILB type.  With safety help, maybe even put Edmunds in that role?

25 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

VW is terrible in Coverage and has no ability to reach the Corner.  We will never see eye to eye if you think VW is a viable starting ILB.  

He's terrible in coverage because he can't cover Keenan Allen two years ago. This has changed the entire discourse on him. He covers TEs and he's solid in short zones. Is he Ryan Shazier, no, but he's far from terrible in coverage. 

• Like 1