Browns hire Joe Woods as DC

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

He was pretty bad in Minnesota as a DB coach, but yeah, sure.

Was really good with the 49ers. Had Spoon playing like a top 5 CB until the end of the season, helped make Moseley into a solid contributor and our pass defense was much better this season compared to the season's in the past. Had far less breakdowns for one. 

Good hire for Cleveland. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Was really good with the 49ers. Had Spoon playing like a top 5 CB until the end of the season, helped make Moseley into a solid contributor and our pass defense was much better this season compared to the season's in the past. Had far less breakdowns for one. 

Good hire for Cleveland. 

How much to you attribute that to Woods as compared to the front 7 of the 9ers?

Most positional coaches are products of their environment and talent. I'd argue the 9ers ability to pressure QBs helped their DBs a lot. 

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How much to you attribute that to Woods as compared to the front 7 of the 9ers?

Most positional coaches are products of their environment and talent. I'd argue the 9ers ability to pressure QBs helped their DBs a lot. 

Secondary was much improved regardless of the pressure. We didn't bring pressure for a while actually and the secondary still help up fairly well. When Harris replaced Tarrt, we had far more breakdowns no doubt about it. But opposing QBs YPA was still above average. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Joe Woods was the guy who flamed out in Denver correct? 

I'm not sure that he flamed out. They brought in a new coaching staff with a defensive head coach in Fangio. 

He was DC for two years and finished 10th in defensive dvoa one year and 5th in the second year. Doesn't really strike me as flaming out so much as Vic just wanted to come in and do his thing with his people. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure that he flamed out. They brought in a new coaching staff with a defensive head coach in Fangio. 

He was DC for two years and finished 10th in defensive dvoa one year and 5th in the second year. Doesn't really strike me as flaming out so much as Vic just wanted to come in and do his thing with his people. 

Correct, Fangio brought in his DC helper Ed Donatell from the Bears and it made Woods the odd man out.

On 2/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, Forge said:

Got you. Thanks. My thinking was off. I forgot he was Denver's DC in 2019. Thought he was out in 2018. 

On 2/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good hire for Cleveland. 

The way people fire around the words top 5, or top 10 is just so disrespectful...