Mock drafts !!!!

Gibster16226

👔
On 2/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, cjfollett said:

@Steeler Hitman: I don't know how to quote your post; it seems to be corrupted. Anyway, I think the Steelers have 5-7 competing needs at present, depending on what they do with their current roster. I don't see them bringing in any free agents of note, so they need to look to their limited draft picks. Which one is most important?  Time will tell.

I think that you are forced to prioritize the team needs with limited cap space to sign free agents and only six draft picks.

TE: If they get rid of McDonald, then I see this as a top priority. I hope Gentry blossoms after a year in the program, but I have my doubts.

This may be a case of dancing with who came to the dance with.  With the dearth of upper echelon draft talent, I think this priority is somewhat pushed down. The guys that I like are not players that I see coming in and making a splash as a rookie.  I remember years of this team pushing a pick and selecting Troy Edwards over a player like Jevon Kearse and even passing on Dan Marino because you have an aging Bradshaw, Mark Malone, and Cliff Stoudt.

I could honestly live with what is on the roster if Vance is cut and doesn't renegotiate his salary.  They use an extra OL as a blocking TE much of the year anyway.  Where it hurts is that receiving threat at TE.  Unless a decent vet is cut and can be signed at a reasonable rate, then I don't see it happening. If someone falls and they are there in round four or six, then yes, I would consider pulling the trigger at TE if Vance is gone.

S: Davis is likely gone, and I am just not that high on Edmunds. Who else do they have?

Agreed! Very high draft priority. This is why I try to keep Davis for a year. Again try. Allen and Dangerfield, just no as potential starters. Big splash in trade for Minkah, but need Edmonds to develop quickly and Davis would give some great insurance in the event that he doesn't. I am not sure Davis will be a highly sought after free agent safety. That may bode well for the Steelers for this season. 

CB: Burns did not pan out, and Haden is not getting any younger. This might be a need sooner than we think.

I think with Layne, Sutton and Mike Hilton the Steelers depth is alright for 2020 provided no one gets hurt.  If there is a highly rated corner on the board in any round, I would consider taking them if they are the BPA. I feel the same way about WR.  These are positions of not outright need, but more of the term "luxury picks."

RB: As noted in the previous posts, we only have one "real" guy, and he is oft-injured. The hope is Snell gets a lot better, but it is a hope.

I am not against drafting a RB. I didn't see it as more of a need than IOL, IDL, safety or even TE.  Certainly, if there is talent there, draft them. Not my top three in priority.

OLB: How much will they pay Bud Dupree, are they going to tag him, or will he walk for a better deal elsewhere? 

I speculate that they sign Bud to s decent, but not insane contract.  That won't be cheap. Like RB, WR, and TE with only Ola and Tupac there, I am signing a lower tier ($$$) vet of drafting some talent. I think most of us believe that Chickello is gone. 

OL: Foster is likely gone, and Pouncey looks like his skills are eroding. The OL needs depth and future starters.

Probably my top priority to fixing the offense. Keeping BJ would help, but not sure that he can't/won't get more money elsewhere.  Pouncy is not as bad as people are making him out to be.  To use a boxer's analogy, that is like blaming Ali for not fighting like George Forman.  Pouncey is physical, but not a dominant drive blocking C. He is good at pass protection and pulling. Keep Pouncey doing those things and he is still one of the better C's for what he does. I do think the team needs to look long term at a C/OG.  I think they do need a drive blocking type to contrast Pouncey and DeCastro. Foster would be serviceable for another year, but I think we can get a younger and more physical IOL in this draft.

23 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We have Sutton and Layne that can possibly fill in for the boundary spot. Plus we still have Haden and Nelson as our starters and Hilton in the slot. I think CB is one of the few positions that we have virtually no need. 

Agreed as I said above, but I also wouldn't ignore a CB if he was at the top of my board at one of the mid to late-round picks. We need safety help and perhaps the heat-seeking missile like playing style of Hilton can fill that void if another CB is added and Sutton can take some of those slot reps.

23 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'd like to see us come away with 2 OL, a TE, a WR (Day 2-3), an IDL and maybe a flyer on an EDGE rusher

I agree with one to two IOL depending upon Finney.  IDL if my offseason crushes are not signed (Andrew Billings or A'Shon Robinson), I think Edge will be strongly considered losing Chickello. 

I loved Snell coming out of college. Just a brute with excellent power and leg drive. I think he’ll be a fine RB#2 for you guys if your OL continues to remain steady. 

I will say though, I’d be extremely scared if Pitt added JK Dobbins if he slid that far. He’d be exactly what you guys needed. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If we waste a trade pick again on a RB with all the needs we have, Colbert might as well quit on the spot. 

Why? Because they drafted one in the 4th and 5th round the last couple of years?  Connor has yet to run for 1000 yards and is missing more and more games every year.  It's not ridiculous to think none of these guys are the answer. With that said, there are more important positions to fill but if  RB is BPA, I'm Ok with it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Why? Because they drafted one in the 4th and 5th round the last couple of years?  Connor has yet to run for 1000 yards and is missing more and more games every year.  It's not ridiculous to think none of these guys are the answer. With that said, there are more important positions to fill but if  RB is BPA, I'm Ok with it.

No. Because I think we’re fine with the combo we have, we’ve got to get better at using them in favorable situations. Conner, Samuels, Snell are a fine stable to have, and we got to put them in situations to succeed. It’s like we expect them all to turn into Bell. Use Conner down to down, Samuel to mix it up, and Snell in short yardage and to close the game. 

Spending a 2/3 on a RB that’s going to be just another in the stable is an absolute waste with Edge, TE, OG, OC, ILB being bigger needs than another rookie contract RB, especially when we’re short picks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

No. Because I think we’re fine with the combo we have, we’ve got to get better at using them in favorable situations. Conner, Samuels, Snell are a fine stable to have, and we got to put them in situations to succeed. It’s like we expect them all to turn into Bell. Use Conner down to down, Samuel to mix it up, and Snell in short yardage and to close the game. 

Spending a 2/3 on a RB that’s going to be just another in the stable is an absolute waste with Edge, TE, OG, OC, ILB being bigger needs than another rookie contract RB, especially when we’re short picks. 

That's where we differ. I am not overly impressed with any of our RBs. Connor has looked like a Stud RB for maybe 1/2 a season and injuries continue to be a problem.  I like Samuels (more then most) but as the receiving RB only and I'll never understand the Snell love. Unless of course his play dramatically changes. That's why the list was deemed "luxury".  I agree (and stated) with all of those other positions being more important.  BUT if the RB available is significantly better then that of those positions, I go RB.  Cutting Whythe and Edmunds is not a big deal.  Cut Snell or keep him and cut Nix. You don't pass on a top RB because you have Snell, Wythe or Edmunds.  

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

That's where we differ. I am not overly impressed with any of our RBs. Connor has looked like a Stud RB for maybe 1/2 a season and injuries continue to be a problem.  I like Samuels (more then most) but as the receiving RB only and I'll never understand the Snell love. Unless of course his play dramatically changes. That's why the list was deemed "luxury".  I agree (and stated) with all of those other positions being more important.  BUT if the RB available is significantly better then that of those positions, I go RB.  Cutting Whythe and Edmunds is not a big deal.  Cut Snell or keep him and cut Nix. You don't pass on a top RB because you have Snell, Wythe or Edmunds.  

Ooph. Hard disagree one the Snell thing. He showed a lot late in season. Not his fault the QB situation was trash and teams could load the box. Why cut Nix? Great ST player and way above average FB. 

Your counter there more proves usage than ability problems. 

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ooph. Hard disagree one the Snell thing. He showed a lot late in season. Not his fault the QB situation was trash and teams could load the box. Why cut Nix? Great ST player and way above average FB. 

Your counter there more proves usage than ability problems. 

I didn't see anything from Snell that stood out from any other JAG.  I like Nix too but he's underutilized.  I merely suggested that if you wanna keep Snell cut Nix and replace with Samuels and/or an H-Back type.  I don't understand the "Your counter there" statement. 

52 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Beyond that we have (IIRC) Conner, Samuels, Snell, Whythe, Edmunds under contract. We tend to only carry 3 RB at a time in season. So that means cutting on of Conner, Samuels, Snell. 

This sounds really smart and Steeler-like :D Almost like I said it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I didn't see anything from Snell that stood out from any other JAG.  I like Nix too but he's underutilized.  I merely suggested that if you wanna keep Snell cut Nix and replace with Samuels and/or an H-Back type.  I don't understand the "Your counter there" statement. 

I think Snell showed a lot of physicality and toughness. He seems to have a nose for where he needs to get to as well. I think he's got a good chance of gaining speed and elusiveness as he gets used to the NFL speed. 

Just now, MOSteelers56 said:

I think Snell showed a lot of physicality and toughness. He seems to have a nose for where he needs to get to as well. I think he's got a good chance of gaining speed and elusiveness as he gets used to the NFL speed. 

Didn't see it.  What did he do significantly better then a short yardage back on any other roster?  People keep telling me it's there.  I just don't see it.  

Just now, Chieferific said:

Didn't see it.  What did he do significantly better then a short yardage back on any other roster?  People keep telling me it's there.  I just don't see it.  

Bottom line, They will not give up on one of their draft choices especially if they have shown promise.