Mock drafts !!!!

Gibster16226

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Didn't see it.  What did he do significantly better then a short yardage back on any other roster?  People keep telling me it's there.  I just don't see it.  

Pad level, leg drive, vision, ball security. All things Snell does at a better than average rate compared to most backs. Also runs with a low center of gravity. 

• Like 1

Good conversations and points made on both sides of the RB and WR vs. TE, IOL or IDL argument.  So I am going to pose two scenarios:

Additional Information:  You make that determination of who is retained and who is signed.

The Steelers are up at pick #49  and these are the players available:

1. Justin Jefferson WR LSU 6'2  185 or Patrick Aiyuk WR AZ State 6' 205

2. Terrell Lewis Edge Bama 6'4 255, Zach Braun Wisconsin OLB 6'3 235

3.  AJ Terrell CB Clemson 6'2 190, Antoine Winfield JR. S  MN 5'10 205

4. Cam Akers FSU RB 5'11 210, Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB LSU 5'9 210,

5. Patrick Queen ILB LSU 6'2 230, Malik Harrison ILB Ohio State 6'3 245

6. James Lynch DL 6'4 300, Raekwon Davis DL Bama 6'7 305

7. Lyod Cushenberry LSU OG6'3 312, Ben Bredeson Michigan OG 6'5 320, or  Shane Lemeaux OR 6'4 320

The Pick is: __________

The Steelers are up at Supplemental pick is up and these players are available: 

1. Michael Pittman WR USC 6'4 225, KJ Hill WR Ohio State 6 195

2. AJ Dillon RB BC 6' 240, Zach Moss Utah RB 5'10 210

3. Anfrenee Jennings Edge Bama 6'3 260, Jordan Brooks TX Tech ILB 6'1 245 

4. Cole Kmet ND TE 6'5 255, Cody Parkinson Stanford TE 6'7 240, Thaddius Moss 6'3 250

5. Netane Mutu OG Fresno 6'3 315

6. LaMar Jackson Nebraska CB 6'2 215

The Pick is: ____________

Edited by Steeler Hitman
Additional Info Added

what happened in FA?  Who did they keep and who is gone.  Can't do a draft without that.  With those picks they had better had retained Bud otherwise they are screwed. 

and Zack Braun  is not a 3-4 EDGE player.  He is a 4-3 WLB.  He is one of the least bendy EDGE players I have seen.  Like he has 2x4 strapped to either side of his ankles. 

Patrick Queen is BPA by far on that list

Edited by jebrick

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Pad level, leg drive, vision, ball security. All things Snell does at a better than average rate compared to most backs. Also runs with a low center of gravity. 

There are plenty of other players that do that as well. I know that I'm in the minority here and am quite possibly wrong. But think if Snell was any other team, very few would be that impressed with him. Furthermore, if Connor goes down again I have zero faith in his backups.  We saw the result last Season and I see no reason to think it'd be any better next Season. 

30 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

There are plenty of other players that do that as well. I know that I'm in the minority here and am quite possibly wrong. But think if Snell was any other team, very few would be that impressed with him. Furthermore, if Connor goes down again I have zero faith in his backups.  We saw the result last Season and I see no reason to think it'd be any better next Season. 

Again, Snell was a rookie. Look at Conner and Bell's rookie years. Neither showed much at all. Then they came back the next year and looked good. It's kind of the Steelers way. 

41 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Again, Snell was a rookie. Look at Conner and Bell's rookie years. Neither showed much at all. Then they came back the next year and looked good. It's kind of the Steelers way. 

And that may happen.  It's hard to disagree with something that hasn't happen yet.  Maybe Snell pulls a Bell and loses some weight and really becomes dynamic.  Maybe. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

what happened in FA?  Who did they keep and who is gone.  Can't do a draft without that.  With those picks they had better had retained Bud otherwise they are screwed. 

and Zack Braun  is not a 3-4 EDGE player.  He is a 4-3 WLB.  He is one of the least bendy EDGE players I have seen.  Like he has 2x4 strapped to either side of his ankles. 

Agree with Queen (projected 1st rdr). But with a sneak peak going into the Comp pick and knowing Mutu was the only OG left, Cushenberry and Bredeson deserve some consideration.  But ultimately it is prolly harder to find a solid LB then an OG/OC.  

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

🤓

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

what happened in FA? 

You set that up as part of who you draft and why.

Who did they keep and who is gone.  Can't do a draft without that.  With those picks they had better had retained Bud otherwise they are screwed. 

You sign, cut and restructure who you want. Then draft accordingly based on the players available. I am interested to see what everyone does. This thread has been very interesting and spirited.

Agreed but he can drop and I put him as he was listed, but he's there for a reason. You can probably guess why. 9_9

Little more information. I am curious about what you would do and who you would draft here?

I really have zero idea why Braun is on any Steeler list.  He is not a Steeler type player.

K.  I have to take Queen unless the reason he dropped is he is under arrest for murder or rape or both.  That is a top 20 ILB and cutting Barron leaves a hole to fill.

2nd round just sucks for choices.  You are trying to force a Te pick here by saying that 9 other IOL have been picked before the end of the 3rd round which is crap.  Mutu is a 4th rounder.  Kmet is the BPA.  No OTs to choose from?  where are the IDL?

Edited by jebrick

😡
18 hours ago, jebrick said:

I really have zero idea why Braun is on any Steeler list.  He is not a Steeler type player.

I certainly respect your knowledge of prospects and you typically help me tremendously with scouting prospects. However, I very respectfully disagree. I see Braun as a coverage LB. He does not have the size or skill to be a "true edge," but I kind of see him as an ole school Teddy Brusci with a little Mike Vrabel type of player (although Vrabel could blitz well inside). I would actually use him as an ILB in the Nickel.  I think that fits his skillset from what I have seen on him.

K.  I have to take Queen unless the reason he dropped is he is under arrest for murder or rape or both.  That is a top 20 ILB and cutting Barron leaves a hole to fill.

I have not gone through the entire evaluation process and right now I am actually more confused about where a prospect really fits in terms of rankings. I have had to rely on publications and others as I just do not have the time to do the scouting and research as I have in the past.  I do miss that.  

2nd round just sucks for choices.  You are trying to force a Te pick here by saying that 9 other IOL have been picked before the end of the 3rd round which is crap. 

Honestly, I am not my friend. I just thought some prospects that I felt fell in that range and plugged them.  Forgive me as I did this on a lunch break and did not think this through as thoroughly as I typically do. I say touche to fourthreemafia who always gets on me for my L_O_N_G_----------posts.:D

Mutu is a 4th rounder.  Kmet is the BPA.  No OTs to choose from?  where are the IDL?

You went way deeper than I was trying to go with this on this thread. Just looking for some different ideas and thoughts on prospects and strategies. To effectively thoroughly do all that you pointed out I would have to create another thread, which I wasn't really trying to do. I certainly didn't think of every scenario or every potential person, I just ranked a few players (actually more than a few) in this situation.  I am really trying to get some ideas and learn from the input that I get on prospects and draft strategies from you all.  I do not have a ton of confidence in a lot of the publications and so-called experts. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:03 PM, cjfollett said:

@Steeler Hitman: I don't know how to quote your post; it seems to be corrupted. 

I installed Grammarly one of my computers. I believe that what is corrupting my the "quotes on my posts. I saw some emoji's pop up after I posted and then realized that the program was telling me "my tone of writing: happy, sad, etc. 

If forced from that list I must go with Kmet although I was hoping to get Colby Parkinson later with my 2nd 4th round pick.

Do not worry too much about placement.  I saw a draft on WalterFootball* that had K'Lavon Chaisson falling past the Steelers 2nd round pick.  I would consider Chaisson then 2nd best EDGE in this draft.  I do not think there are many that would put him outside the top 15 on draft day.

* I have zero respect for WalterFootball and their mocks.  I think they just generate them from first pick.com.  Other than the Chaisson thing they had Mike Hilton listed as a FA that the Steelers could lose.  Hilton is a RFA meaning there is a zero percent chance they will lose him.  Just poor research from "experts"

Edited by jebrick

If we are going to prepare for the most possible success in 2020 with Ben and at the same time prepare for our next chapter, then my pick choices from your list would be:

Akers or Hellaire , whichever one shows to have the most explosion  (we desperately need the occasional long run). I'm tired of relying on Conner to be our only speedy back. He probably isn't our long term solution. He hasn't yet proven to be a back that defenses have to gameplan against.

second pick

Thaddeus Moss, definitely a true receiving threat. Why do I think this is so necessary? Without adding a proven veteran thru trade or draft and cutting Vance, we will be stuck with one of the worst TE groups in the league. 

If we can have a healthy receiver corps, then this would allow us the opportunity to have real threats at all three offensive skill position groups.

With each other pick we must obviously address several other needs. Hopefully, we can hit on at least one UDFA at OL,DL or ILB.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:08 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

Good conversations and points made on both sides of the RB and WR vs. TE, IOL or IDL argument.  So I am going to pose two scenarios:

Additional Information:  You make that determination of who is retained and who is signed.

The Steelers are up at pick #49  and these are the players available:

1. Justin Jefferson WR LSU 6'2  185 or Patrick Aiyuk WR AZ State 6' 205

2. Terrell Lewis Edge Bama 6'4 255, Zach Braun Wisconsin OLB 6'3 235

3.  AJ Terrell CB Clemson 6'2 190, Antoine Winfield JR. S  MN 5'10 205

4. Cam Akers FSU RB 5'11 210, Clyde Edwards-Helaire RB LSU 5'9 210,

5. Patrick Queen ILB LSU 6'2 230, Malik Harrison ILB Ohio State 6'3 245

6. James Lynch DL 6'4 300, Raekwon Davis DL Bama 6'7 305

7. Lyod Cushenberry LSU OG6'3 312, Ben Bredeson Michigan OG 6'5 320, or  Shane Lemeaux OR 6'4 320

The Pick is: __________

The Steelers are up at Supplemental pick is up and these players are available: 

1. Michael Pittman WR USC 6'4 225, KJ Hill WR Ohio State 6 195

2. AJ Dillon RB BC 6' 240, Zach Moss Utah RB 5'10 210

3. Anfrenee Jennings Edge Bama 6'3 260, Jordan Brooks TX Tech ILB 6'1 245 

4. Cole Kmet ND TE 6'5 255, Cody Parkinson Stanford TE 6'7 240, Thaddius Moss 6'3 250

5. Netane Mutu OG Fresno 6'3 315

6. LaMar Jackson Nebraska CB 6'2 215

The Pick is: ____________

I have to select the first pick without knowledge of the second pick.  And, I am not going to cheat by saying if Queen is still there that I would trade back with ILB hungry teams.  I would take the BPA in a position of need.  So, knowing we are losing Gravedigger, I am taking Raekwon Davis, DL Alabama.  I know it is not a direct replacement for 'Digger, but he is a long term 5 tech replacement for Tuitt/Heyward but can also flex inside some, on passing downs, ala Tuitt/Heyward.  Base 3-4 is not a thing anymore, and we can get a FA or have Shade Tree do it.  The only other thought here is Cushenberry, but he is a longer term option, that IMO is not going to play in 2020.

Second pick is easy.  If Kmet is there, he gets taken by us.  He is most like what we want in a TE....