The Too Early Prediction Thread

TakeTheBallDeep

So every year there are popular picks that don’t come true (Speaking first round mostly) and other players that rise or drop surprisingly. My question to all you is what teams/players are you seeing mocked often that you just don’t see happening, plus some other questions below.

Picks I don’t see happening:

1. The New York Giants will not take a WR with the #4 pick. That being said if they trade down then sure, but Gettleman loves taking lineman and they need help on both sides of the line, plus other places, I just don’t see a WR at four.

2. I see a lot of Mock Drafts with the Chiefs taking a RB with the #32 pick, I think D. Williams proved he can handle that position at least for another year, plus if I’m the Chiefs I am looking to trade outta the first round to stockpile more picks unless someone they love falls.

Other Questions (Feel free to add more if you want, I will make some more of my predictions to these as I learn more about the lowerish talent in this draft)

Will the Lions really take Okudah at #3? I know he’s got great potential, but you don’t see CBs get drafted in the Top 3 very often. I would expect them to look at Simmons or trade down

What player/s could find themselves as an unexpected a Top 12 pick?

What player/s being mocked in the round 3-5 range could go un-drafted?

Any other things you would like to add as predictions?

Edited by TakeTheBallDeep

As a Badger fan I notice Biadasz dropping in some drafts, even as much to the third round, which is ridiculous. I mainly attribute this to his lack of exposure since the season ended. Some of the other IOL played in post-season (NFL tryout) games and they are just more fresh in the media’s mind. I think this happens to a lot of players who aren’t seniors.

Another example is Uche, he has shot up boards since the Senior Bowl and most of that has to do with his performance in the Bowl and practices and again exposure. Most pundits are now looking past his actual play during the season. He’s also moved up because that position is weak this year, so a 2nd/3rd round talent is being drafted in the 1st, which whoever drafts him will end up regretting (I’m not just saying this about Uche but all players this happens to).

Ultimately though it all works itself out as players who drop for whatever reason and become great values get scooped up and end up having better careers than guys drafted before them.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 9:39 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

1. The New York Giants will not take a WR with the #4 pick. That being said if they trade down then sure, but Gettleman loves taking lineman and they need help on both sides of the line, plus other places, I just don’t see a WR at four.

I don't think anyone thinks they will take a WR at #4.

2. I see a lot of Mock Drafts with the Chiefs taking a RB with the #32 pick, I think D. Williams proved he can handle that position at least for another year, plus if I’m the Chiefs I am looking to trade outta the first round to stockpile more picks unless someone they love falls.

That'd be a good move on their part. They need to build up their depth, as they're going to be losing a ton of dudes in the next season or two.

Will the Lions really take Okudah at #3? I know he’s got great potential, but you don’t see CBs get drafted in the Top 3 very often. I would expect them to look at Simmons or trade down

Teams don't usually take CB's in the top 3 because those teams desperately need QB's or pass rushers. There are usually 3 QB/Pass rushers that eat up the top 3 selections. Also, CB's usually don't come from man-heavy schemes in college. The NFL is more of a man coverage league and will ask CB's to press. Very few CB's play press man in college. Okudah has played press man for his entire career and has excelled at it. He'll be the pick at #3 if they stay there.   ....Also, how often do OLB's get taken in the top 3?

What player/s could find themselves as an unexpected a Top 12 pick?

Kenneth Murray could get there if he has a great combine, which I suspect he does.
The only other dude I could see maybe vaulting up that high out of nowhere might be Terrell Lewis if he craps on the combine.

What player/s being mocked in the round 3-5 range could go undrafted?

OT Yasir Durant   Missouri
OT Terrence Steele   Texas Tech
RB Scottie Phillips   Ole Miss
RB LaMichael Perine   Florida
WR Marquez Callaway  Tennessee
WR Jeff Thomas   Miami Fl.
QB KJ Costello   Stanford

Any other things you would like to add as predictions?

CJ Henderson is the 2nd CB taken? Is that a hot take?
AJ Epenesa and Chase Young are the only two DE's taken in the 1st round.

Edited by BleedTheClock

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Kenneth Murray could get there if he has a great combine, which I suspect he does.

AJ Epenesa and Chase Young are the only two DE's taken in the 1st round.

Agreed on Kenneth Murray. He's a natural athlete and team sources were reportedly high on him as far back as October.

If Yetur Gross-Matos isn't taken round one, he'll be the steal of the draft. I wouldn't blink if he went in the top ten.

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

Agreed on Kenneth Murray. He's a natural athlete and team sources were reportedly high on him as far back as October.

If Yetur Gross-Matos isn't taken round one, he'll be the steal of the draft. I wouldn't blink if he went in the top ten.

Yeah it's hard for me to see, for instance, the Titans (picking at the bottom of the round, edge is their biggest need) skipping Gross-Matos for any player at another position likely to be available in that scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah it's hard for me to see, for instance, the Titans (picking at the bottom of the round, edge is their biggest need) skipping Gross-Matos for any player at another position likely to be available in that scenario.

While I think YGM will probably go in round 1, I could see the Titans possibly passing on him if he somehow was still available at their pick.  Only reason I think it's possible is because of their HC Mike Vrabel being a pretty good Edge Player in the NFL.  He could have his eyes set on another Edge Player he feels he can coach to greatness.  Nevertheless I dont predict YGM is still on the board when the Titans pick.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:39 PM, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I think Williams has been a good pick up for the Chiefs, but I think Dobbins would be a HUGE upgrade for them, and so would Swift if he were somehow still available.  Of course they could get lucky and trade back with a team that is picking in the top 10 picks of round 2 and possibly still land Dobbins.  I can also see the Chiefs looking for some DLine talent with Jones likely being a Free Agent, and selecting one at pick 32, in a deep DT class, would give them the opportunity to keep that player on a 5th year option.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Picks 3 and 4 become very appealing for a team that wants to trade up for a QB assuming that Washington doesn't trade out of #2 for Chase Young. Someone may try to bluff Miami with all of their draft capital to move up a few picks for Tua.

How is this a prediction Mwilly

• The Chargers, not the Dolphins, move up to #3 to select Tua by selling the farm. After missing out of a Brady- who was the only player their frugal ownership would be willing to break bank- they’ll need a new lightning-rod if it means selling those PSLs (they’re about $300 million short right now). Moving on from Rivers and into a new stadium, have an adequate bridge QB in Tyrod, and it could be the last year to take advantage of the rookie wage scale as it stands today. I think they offer their 1st, 2nd, 2021 1st, and 2022 2nd to DET for their 1st, 4th, and 2021 3rd. Simply comes down to them being the more desperate organization. Miami selects Herbert at #5. I think they want Tua, but are fine settling with Herbert. Mike Tannenbaum left that team amicably and was current GM Chris Grier’s mentor... he deferred a lot of personnel decisions but when he said Herbert > Tua in late 2019 it raised some eyebrows for me... he didn’t come up with it on his own. 
  • The Giants select Isaiah Simmons at #4
  • First OL doesn’t comes off the board until #8 and first WR at #9, despite being the two best position groups in the class.
  • Colts rebuild their QB room by moving on from Brissett (returns back to NE), sign Rivers to a 2-year deal, and draft Love at #12