The Mock Draft That No One Wants to See

taylor made

First off, I'm sure most of the fan-base will hate this mock draft but I appreciate if you read with an open mind. (Let's face it, we are 99% drafting Chase Young and this draft process is boring me)

-My concern with this off-season is that Dan Snyder once again under the radar meddled with his insistence on the plan with Dwayne Haskins. Apparently that was a point in the coach hiring process. That is bush league and I believe the new coaching staff should 100% be able to choose their own guy at QB if they want.

-So let's evaluate Dwayne Haskins' rookie season. This is tough because it was incomplete. But we are gonna have to go by glimpses of what we saw (or lack there-of saw) I was a huge supporter of Haskins last year and was shocked he fell to the team. But frankly, his rookie season was awful. He did progress over time, but he went from awful to an awful game manager. He got outplayed by Daniel Jones and Drew Lock. Case Keenum made a guy Haskins played with in college look like a pro-bowler and Haskins makes him look invisible.  Sometimes you have to cut your losses quickly and right now Haskins is a low-tier QB. But considering Dwayne Haskins has decent trade value - why not turn this into a Josh Rosen situation where we could net a 2nd round pick?

-Our offense is absolutely horrible (#31 out of #32). It has been horrible for the past 2 years and I highlighted in my mock drafts from 2018 2019 the need to supercharge it if the team wants to be competitive. Ron Rivera wants to win now and while that is great, you aren't gonna win with this offense. We have a horrible offensive line even with Trent Williams, who is getting old, just wants to get payed and his play was declining even when he was on the field in 2018.

FIRST ROUND

Washington trades pick #2 to the Detroit Lions for pick #3 and pick #35

I hate doing trades because most of the time they are unrealistic but if anything I am underselling the #2 pick here considering most of us want multiple first round draft picks to move down. While losing out on Chase Young, I think trading down to the #3 spot is the ultimate strategic move for what is almost 2 first round picks. I think Chase Young is the best non-QB draft choice in the draft but I don't want to start this into a Chase Young thread however. 

Pick #3, Washington selects Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

usatsi_13644416.jpg?width=540&height=405

I think Tua will turn out to be a serviceable quarterback. He really impresses me in interviews, he has that leadership quality where guys will want to play for him. And you just saw a team win a Superbowl with a quarterback like that. The medicals are a concern, but sometimes you have to takes risks.

ROUND TWO

Pick #35

LT Austin Jackson, USC

9b06e25c-62ec-421f-b877-34ded44cd65b-AP1

This draft is pretty loaded with Offensive Tackles and I think there is a good chance that a quality one will be there a the start of round 2. The nice thing about drafting Tua is that he is a left handed quarterback and a rookie LT wouldn't face protecting his blind side. So he wouldn't be completely overwhelmed. I'm sick of the Trent Williams stuff and while he can be a stop-gap if he wants, the team needs his replacement sooner than later. I'm not gonna project a trade for Trent because he's gonna get a third round draft pick at best and right now, he's worth more as a stop-gap starter or a reserve.

Pick #50, Center Cesar Ruiz, Michigan

5ae000f5-eb18-4cb6-81fa-77e5eabc4739-CR.

The Washington Redskins trade Dwayne Haskins to the Chicago Bears for Pick, #50 - 2nd Round. Josh Rosen went for pick #62 last year in the 2nd round so I'm projecting something similar for Dwayne. If you think this is too rich or poor for Haskins, let me know I'm trying to make this as accurate as possible.

Chase Roullier is a nice story but he has never really put up an above average season and is just a guy. Right now our offensive line is a makeshift mess. By the addition of both a rookie LT and Center we'd be setting up our quarterback of the future for success.

ROUND THREE

Pick #66

Running Back Cam Akers, Florida State

435d66a1-ed3e-4ec9-bbb0-0ef65890a26a-FSV

It's pretty sad when we get excited that an unproven fourth round rookie is the most exciting about our offense's potential next season. Peterson has been a good player for us but at age 34 he could decline rapidly for us here. Guice has been great when on the field, but I think it's foolish to rely on him at all anymore. Cam Akers has the potential to be a workhorse back and provides something that Guice or Bryce Love potentially are not. Criminally underused at Florida State, Akers' play-style fits well in the NFC East. If Tua is drafted, I'd want a RB he can rely on and I think Akers could be that guy.

ROUND FOUR

Pick #98

WR Gabriel Davis, UCF

S_cMdtYN_400x400.jpg

Giving Tua all the help he'd need to succeed. I'm a big Steven Sims fan but I wasn't impressed with Harmon last year. I don't value the tight end position that much. Maybe we will draft one with the next fourth rounder but I am going to sleep. This draft is loaded at WR and I've liked what the little I've seen of Gabe Davis.

*ROUGH DEPTH CHART

OFFFENSE

QB: Tua T./Keenum/Alex Smith

RB: Guice/Cam Akers/Bryce Love

WR: McLaurin/Harmon/Sims/Gabriel Davis

TE: Sprinkle

LT: Austin Jackson/That guy from Louisville

LG: Ereck F'n Flowers

Center: Cesar Ruiz/Chase Roullier

RG: Brandon Scherff/Indiana Guard

RT: Morgan Moses

DEFENSE

Meh, didn't draft any.

SUMMARY: I realized I've spent the first five draft picks on offense but that's the point. We have a terrible offense and we aren't gonna win anything without a major re-haul. So even though Chase Young might be a great prospect, he's not gonna provide value to the team where it needs to actually win ballgames. I believe I have tremendously upgraded the offense by solidifying the offensive line and adding explosive elements - Tua, Akers & Gabe Davis.

Sorry bud, I’m not down with the sickness.

if your sick of Trent Williams then you trade him and select a LT with the pick you get for him.

and also with this years QB class why wouldn’t someone just draft their own QB instead of trading for Haskins. Who will most likely not fetch a 2nd, look at what happened to Rosen.

and lastly if I was to take a QB it wouldn’t be Tua. The hip injury scares me too much, and he had 3 WRs that are going in the first two rounds this year. I don’t think he could do it with our current WRs

ill pass but appreciate the effort you put in it

• Like 2

Why trade down to take a QB the Lions might want to take and is coming off a dislocated and fractured hip. My problem with that is that it’s so Vinny/Dan Snyder of last decade, passing on the best football prospect in the draft to take Tua bc he’ll sell more tickets.

I don’t think there’s any way they give up on Haskins this year. If Haskins doesn’t progress this year, we will be awful and then you take Trevor Lawrence with the #1 pick next year. 

I also am not in favor of taking another running back that early in the draft. This is Derrius Guice’s make or break year and we still obviously have Peterson plus Bryce Love will be ready to go this year.

You don’t value the TE much? When Reed was healthy for our passing offense it was good to great, when he wasn’t it took a major step back. The super bowl had two elite TEs and those guys helped their teams get there.

I’d rather have Thadeus Moss in round 3 and I don’t have a problem with going WR in round 4, but I would want a TE in round 3. 

• Like 1