2020 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Defensive Line

KC_Guy

Keep in mind, a player like Jones is honestly a luxury from a team building perspective. You need pass rushers along the front, they don't necessarily have to come from full-time DTs. DTs that can play full-time and get 8+ sacks are incredibly rare. This is why he's as pricey as it is, but it also means there's a league full of teams getting by without that much pressure from a single player on the interior line. It's more important, functionally, to have depth and reliability at that spot. You can get by with 3 - 4 guys who are reliable run stoppers who can occasionally generate push. You don't need a star pass rusher inside. Hell, we had a strong defense for years where Allen Bailey was our best pass rusher on the interior. As long as you can get pass rush from somewhere, it's fine. And if we get the Frank Clark that played end of season, all year, we'll have the edge rush to compensate, like we did when we were running Houston/Hali behind a bunch of run stuffing pluggers.

I do think you try to get an extra body if Jones moves on. I think it's nice being two deep across the line. So 4 functional DEs, 4 functional DTs. DE is arguable, but DT is definitely just 3 if we don't have Jones. So it'd be nice to add a guy to the rotation. But I don't think that becomes a first round need suddenly, or anything. Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders is a fine core. Can always move Clark or Tanoh iside on obvious pass plays, too. Spags was one of the earlier adopters of that with the Giants.

• Like 1

Honestly I don’t think we do much at DE.   Veach still has his love for Speaks.   I don’t see much with him,  but I would bet he gets more than a chance to prove himself.

Also,  Tim Ward is a guy who might surprise at DE.  He has some pretty decent film across from Oshane Ximines in college

• Like 1