Biggest Concerns Heading Into Week 3

showtime

Hello all!  I am a Seahawks fan, but I really like to keep close tabs on other teams within the division.  I try to watch every Seahawks game and watch most Rams games due to my cousin being a hard core fan.  The Cardinals are a team I had decent expectations for coming into the season, I thought maybe they could contend for a wild card spot - But so far the team has not looked so great.  Obviously David Johnson's injury hurts the team a lot, but what about the rest of the team?  Can you guys break down the different levels of offense and defense so I can get a better feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the team as of right now?

QB- Carson Palmer sucks, that chicken wing of his has seen better days. He's gonna have moments where he flashes like at the end of this week, but it's gonna be rough to watch him this season

RB-Honestly the four that we're running with are actually really solid. Ellington is a prototypical 3rd down back. Kerwyn and CJ are good 1st and 2nd down guys and can help keep each other fresh, then Penny is a good short yardage situation guy. Losing a dynamic player like David Johnson obviously kills, but the running game should still be a major focal point of this offense. Should being the key word there though

WR- I don't even know what to tell you about this group. Larry is Larry and outside of that every single player is incredibly inconsistent. JJ made a huge difference this week, John Brown can be a game changer as well. Jaron Brown is a decent enough possession receiver. I don't know what it is that we have with Chad Williams.

TE-  They're actually pretty good. Jermaine Gresham is the high paid guy, and plays his role well. Ifeyani Momah and Troy Niklas have done some good things as well. 

OL-Until Humphries gets back it's going to be a steaming hot pile of garbage. Wetzel at left tackle is a mess. The rest of the line is serviceable enough, but Veldheer seems to be struggling on his shift to the right side.

DL-They're pretty good all around. Nkemdiche is the X factor guy, but even if he isn't anything special, the guys we have get the job done.

OLB- Golden and Jones are masters at what they do. 

ILB-So far so good. Dansby has been that above average defender like he has been his whole career so far this year. Josh Bynes has been surprisingly effective, and Reddick has been proving why he was a first round draft pick. Bucannon is going to be back soon as well to only make this position better

S-Our safeties are stout. A lot of experience from Branch and Bethea, coupled with skill from Budda Baker and Tyrann Mathieu make for a really great safety group

CB-Patrick Peterson is still being himself, Justin Bethel is the other corner and so far he's been incredibly inconsistent as well. A few great plays, mixed with some pretty awful ones. But that has been how that position has been with us for years

All in all, our defense is incredibly good. I am honestly a little surprised with how good it has been so far this year. But that offense is just disgusting because of Palmer. If Palmer's arm gets dipped in the fountain of youth at some time soon then maybe we'll be a playoff team. But I am not counting on it this year

Awesome!  Thanks for the detailed response.  I have watched tidbits of Cardinals game and was wondering how Carson Palmer was preforming.  I figured it was not too great, but did not want to make an uneducated comment.  I love Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu.  I also really like Deone Bucannon.  It's great to hear those guys are still playing well.  How do you see the Cardinals in terms of the divisional race?  Seems like every team has pretty significant weaknesses at this point.  If I had to point out one team that looks the best so far, it would probably be the Rams - but I have a feeling the answer to that question may change on a week-to-week basis.

I'll do my week two thoughts in this thread:

1st half:

Veldheer got mollywhopped. He whiffed almost completely 4 times. Maybe the worst performance I've seen in a long time.

JJ Nelson is tough to cover, two inches from a TD. 

Palmer played pretty good tbh. Besides that boneheaded lob INT to JJ. He was getting wrecked tho by the pass rush. 

CJ2k is good. Had a really good cutback that got called back and a couple other good runs. 

Momah dropped a probable TD and bobbled that big wide open catch.

Niklas whiffs on too many blocks, he also got called for the holding on CJ's big run.

Sendlien might be our best olinemen lol, until DJ/Iupati get back (tho wasn't impressed by Iupati)

Chandler played awesome and got a lot if pressure, Golden was pretty good too

Besides those two no one else gets pressure tho, need someone to step up. Hopefully Bob Kim.

We couldn't cover Doyle, caught one on Reddick, Branch, and Budda.

Budda is awesome covering on STs

We play so much man on 3rd down teams just run drags and short slants which are super hard to cover, should mix that up

I like big X. Williams, he's pretty good against the run, he gets too much snaps on 3rd and long tho. Makes no sense.

We have too many Dlinemen, think we could get rid of Gunter or Puerre , they hardly play anyways.

3 hours ago, showtime said:

Awesome!  Thanks for the detailed response.  I have watched tidbits of Cardinals game and was wondering how Carson Palmer was preforming.  I figured it was not too great, but did not want to make an uneducated comment.  I love Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Mathieu.  I also really like Deone Bucannon.  It's great to hear those guys are still playing well.  How do you see the Cardinals in terms of the divisional race?  Seems like every team has pretty significant weaknesses at this point.  If I had to point out one team that looks the best so far, it would probably be the Rams - but I have a feeling the answer to that question may change on a week-to-week basis.

As far as the division goes, it is honestly my only hope that this season could be a success. It seems to be really weak, and if we could somehow take advantage of that and maybe go 5-1 in inter divisional play I could see us making the playoffs. Our defense should terrorize the Seahawks, and the Rams are a weird team. I've been waiting for the Rams to break out for years, but now that it might actually be happening I'm having trouble believing it. 

I think 10 wins will win the West. With our defense I think that's possible, but it isn't gonna be a pretty 10 wins if we can get there. This week against the Cowboys is going to be very telling in how we are going to perform the rest of the year. 

2nd half + OT:

Wetzel played really well in pass pro, didn't give up a single hurry all game. Did get a little help from time to time.
Boehm was not good. Got manhandled on one pass  pro, whiffed on another, general awareness was not good
Veldheer played better (not saying much) but still got beat a few times. Sendlien whiffed on a few blocks
I like Holden playing TE to help the run game, he did get beat bad in pass pro once tho
CJ and Ellington played well
Palmer had two or three bad decisions but played pretty good otherwise
JJ and JB13 had some big catches
Niklas still whiffed on a few blocks but also had two good blocks

Budda is awesome. Had three or four great open field tackles, mostly on STs. Rudy Ford is also great covering on STs
Golden and Chandler again with constant pressure, Chandler also had a great run stuff
Reddick struggled in coverage all day (zone awareness isn't there yet) but does get to the ball quickly in both pass and run situations
Bethel and PP played well, both gave up one or two passes 
Badger played better in coverage, not sure if he gave up a pass the 2nd + OT, plus GW INT
Bob Kim had one really good block shed,otherwise didn't do much. Rucker had the hurry on the Badger INT, otherwise nothing
I like Mauro playing outside, got a pressure and does a good job setting the edge. Doesn't do much inside tho.
Peters is really good. Doesn't get a lot of pressure but isn't absent there and played really well against the run. Big X also played well against the run
Branch and Bethea still solid.

Archived