Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Yep. Completely agree with this. 

... and one thing for sure, Soloman Thomas contract needs to vanish. 8.9 mil cap hit? nope.. can't do it. I don't care if we have to eat roughly half of it. That is still 4.3 mil that can be used for AA or another position... and he's not good enough to help much on the edge. 

I just don't see the point right now to move on from Solly. You're not going to get anything for him in a trade. And we're not just going to cut him to save 4 mil.

We'll be losing some of our depth with guys like Day not being brought back. I fully expect Julian Taylor to take a bunch of Thomas's 3T snaps next year so it is hard right now to see where he fits. But I just don't see us giving him away for a 6th rounder either. Just depends on how Lynch views him and if they still like him and his potential as a player. Right now he's a tweener but I think they should bulk him up to about 290 and let him play 3-Tech exclusively. I'd give it a shot...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I just don't see the point right now to move on from Solly. You're not going to get anything for him in a trade. And we're not just going to cut him to save 4 mil.

We'll be losing some of our depth with guys like Day not being brought back. I fully expect Julian Taylor to take a bunch of Thomas's 3T snaps next year so it is hard right now to see where he fits. But I just don't see us giving him away for a 6th rounder either. Just depends on how Lynch views him and if they still like him and his potential as a player. Right now he's a tweener but I think they should bulk him up to about 290 and let him play 3-Tech exclusively. I'd give it a shot...

 

To think we passed on Mahomes for Solly.

Man that hurts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like any other position, if there is an upgrade to be had, then go for it. If there is a corner on the board at #31 that we have ranked far above any other prospect, then why not? If we don't address corner, then no worries. What we saw this year was that in this system, disciplined and good safety play is the biggest contributing factor in having a good back end. Obviously it will be hard to bring back Ward but something else that doesn't get talked about is Tartt being a FA the following season. Could have a lot of turnover in the next year or so with Sherman also being a FA in 2021.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet, but Sherm, Williams, and Spoon are all unrestricted FAs next year and Moseley is a RFA. Regardless of how you feel about the performance of our CBs/NBs, we will need to add a new body or two to the mix this year or at least extend somebody. Tartt will also be an unrestricted FA next year, so the secondary could be drastically different. Also, who knows if Ward is coming back or if Moore will step up and earn a spot. Lots of questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet, but Sherm, Williams, and Spoon are all unrestricted FAs next year and Moseley is a RFA. Regardless of how you feel about the performance of our CBs/NBs, we will need to add a new body or two to the mix this year or at least extend somebody. Tartt will also be an unrestricted FA next year, so the secondary could be drastically different. Also, who knows if Ward is coming back or if Moore will step up and earn a spot. Lots of questions.

Yep, a lot of moving parts there. Tartt seems like a guy they probably keep around for another contract since he won't cost as much as say Ward. But how Spoon/Moseley develop this offseason will determine our CB situation going forward. Likely take a corner early in next year's draft or address it in free agency. 

Ward though I have little confidence in returning. They were grooming Moore to take over at FS and now it is his time.

Really would like the interior OL addressed. Our bookends are really good and even when Staley retires, Brunskill can step in. But need an upgrade at RG. 

LBs are set for a while. 

Can use some DL depth for sure.

And depending on what we do with Sanders, may need to address WR. 

Not a ton of immediate needs but obviously need to look ahead and shore up some positions that will eventually become a problem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 5:33 PM, Pandomonium said:

so let me ask you guys this

are you willing to spend your 31st pick overall on a guard?
or a safety? (delpit will be gone by then)
or a WR 

also ward has come out and said he wants to come back and if he doesn't, to me moore is an upgrade because of his better ball skills
Jalen Hurd has not played yet, Sanders may not leave either and trent taylor when healthy is "mr 3rd down conversion" 
brunskill or skule can slide inside and play guard better than person not to mention ben garland can play guard once richberg comes back from injury 

many of the issues you are talking about can be handled in-house 

you can't say that about corner because after sherm and sometimes mosely ....who can we really rely on?

so again i ask
what position is is worth the 31st overall pick without reaching?

 

Ummmmm........this isn't a "problem". That is where people look sideways at you. We are just going to act like Tim Harris isn't a thing as well? He is very intriguing returning from injury. Any potential issue you think this team has at DB can also be handled in house.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 5:33 PM, Pandomonium said:

moore is an upgrade because of his better ball skills

Lol 

Did you somehow miss the dpi in the Superbowl when Moore didn't even try to find the ball in the air? I like Moore a lot but saying he's an upgrade is premature 

Pando, you always do this sort of thing. Corner is a strength of this team. You are acting like it's some huge hole. We have three really good corners and one of the best nickle corners in the NFL. We are strong there. It's good to have young corners you are developing, but it's not a primary need this off-season. 

Mosley was really good last year. Spoon showed A LOT earlier in the year. They both have things to work on and are going to continue to get better in the off-season 

PLUS with a dominant pass rush it gets WAY easier to find corners 

Again, you blow in here and are singular minded. You get fixated on one thing and you can't see the big picture. Corner is a strength of this team right now. We absolutely need to continue to bring in young talent there, but any corner we draft at #31 will ride the bench next year. I'm finna win a ring and I want to draft someone who is going to be a contributor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, N4L said:

Lol 

Did you somehow miss the dpi in the Superbowl when Moore didn't even try to find the ball in the air? I like Moore a lot but saying he's an upgrade is premature 

Pando, you always do this sort of thing. Corner is a strength of this team. You are acting like it's some huge hole. We have three really good corners and one of the best nickle corners in the NFL. We are strong there. It's good to have young corners you are developing, but it's not a primary need this off-season. 

Mosley was really good last year. Spoon showed A LOT earlier in the year. They both have things to work on and are going to continue to get better in the off-season 

PLUS with a dominant pass rush it gets WAY easier to find corners 

Again, you blow in here and are singular minded. You get fixated on one thing and you can't see the big picture. Corner is a strength of this team right now. We absolutely need to continue to bring in young talent there, but any corner we draft at #31 will ride the bench next year. I'm finna win a ring and I want to draft someone who is going to be a contributor. 

ok I'll remember this,
when you all blew me off when i said I had the feeling this wasn't our year earlier this year, that we are a year ahead of schedule 
 

its ok 
you guys are cliqued up in here and if anyone goes against the grain from your dogmatic way of thinking, you dismiss them as if they don't know what they're talking about. 

 

this board was fun back in the day but as of late it has become full of pretentious, pompous know-it-alls who are completely dismissive to anyone who doesn't fall in line with their way of thinking. 

its ok to debate. but as of late its really just become disrespectful and ugly 

 

I stand on what I said. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

ok I'll remember this,
when you all blew me off when i said I had the feeling this wasn't our year earlier this year, that we are a year ahead of schedule 
 

its ok 
you guys are cliqued up in here and if anyone goes against the grain from your dogmatic way of thinking, you dismiss them as if they don't know what they're talking about. 

 

this board was fun back in the day but as of late it has become full of pretentious, pompous know-it-alls who are completely dismissive to anyone who doesn't fall in line with their way of thinking. 

its ok to debate. but as of late its really just become disrespectful and ugly 

 

I stand on what I said. 

 

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean we're a 'clique'.  Regardless of what someone types, it is a choice to be offended (yes, I do have to remind myself of that often!). 

I for one find this place the best for open discourse regarding NFL and especially our 9ers.

We still have more in common than not. It's you're choice. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont see any reason for hitting the 'panic' button when it comes to our CB's, and by 'Panic Button' I mean having the CB position as the highest need

-Witherspoon: Started the season on fire, many people were pegging him for the pro-bowl. Unfortunately injuries happen and it seems like he never regained his footing - whether that be because of lingering injury or something else. If he can get it back together like he was early in the season, he is starting caliber.

-E. Moseley: This guy came in a played admirably for the entire season, he had a HUGE slip up in the SB, but so did Sherman. Considering this was basically his rookie year, he is only going to get better. Very comfortable letting him battle it out once again with Witherspoon in camp.

-Sherman: Yeah he has lost a step and YES he got burned in the SB, but he is still top tier in the league. His intelligence at the position slightly negates the step he has lost. He still does struggle with certain types of WR's,but he kinda has his entire career. He is still a very good starter in this league and is a year or two away from MAYBE switching to Safety.

-Tim Harris: Cant really judge an injured player, but the size and skill-set are there. Luckily we didnt need him this season, but I can be optimistic that if he can stay healthy, I expect a serviceable #3or #4 CB out of him at worst.

 

I would definitely put Safety ahead of CB as a need for us, especially if we lose Ward. I dont completely trust T.Moore, skillset is there, but he needs to study up this off-season and really run away with the position. I would love a Safety in rounds 1-3 (if we get some draft capitol) to come in a compete.

Im going(in order of importance: OG, Safety, WR, CB (This could all change if we lose Ward/ E. Sanders)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

ok I'll remember this,
when you all blew me off when i said I had the feeling this wasn't our year earlier this year, that we are a year ahead of schedule 

Congrats for predicting our superbowl loss. Up 10 points in the fourth quarter but you called it!!! Kudos to you!!!! Friggin genius you are 

1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

its ok 
you guys are cliqued up in here and if anyone goes against the grain from your dogmatic way of thinking, you dismiss them as if they don't know what they're talking about

No one is cliqued up. Everyone is free to share their opinion here. I think you took the tone wrong. My whole point is that you have been focused on the corners so much that you are ignoring other needs. Corner is a position you always need to add talent, but we had the #1 passing defense in the last 15 years in 2019. Our corner play was a HUGE reason for that. 

Again, I'm just saying that corner was a strength last year. Everyone else is saying it too because it's true. Was there room for improvement? Yes. Could we potentially upgrade there in the long run? Yes. Do we have the resources this off-season to invest heavily in a #4 or #3 corner? No, not really. We have no 2nd 3rd or 4th and limited cap space. Not much flexibility in that regard 

Sherman was an all pro, meaning he was one of the four best corners in the NFL last year. The cheifs were just a bad matchup for him because of the speed. Would have been a bad matchup for him 5 years ago too. He is going to be in the NFL for another 3+ years at least imo. No one was saying he lost a step before the Superbowl. 

1 hour ago, Pandomonium said:

this board was fun back in the day but as of late it has become full of pretentious, pompous know-it-alls who are completely dismissive to anyone who doesn't fall in line with their way of thinking. 

its ok to debate. but as of late its really just become disrespectful and ugly 

 

I stand on what I said. 

People are dismissive because there are certain patterns that you fall into. We explain to you, with detail and logic backing it up, yet you are still so stuck on the idea that we need a corner that you refuse to move off of that position. 

Does that make sense? Or are you going to name call and get pissy because no one else agrees with you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pandomonium said:

I stand on what I said. 
 

Seems like you're more interested in being right than having an actual discussion.

I think the Chiefs just had the speed and the pass blocking necessary to expose any defense. It will be very hard to improve on our personnel on defense. Yes, Sherman isn't what he used to be, and we should be concerned about him not getting any younger. There's a very good chance we draft a DB with our first pick. We have to plan ahead. We could let Sherman go this offseason, if we want to save some money and we have a plan to replace him. But replacing Sherman might weaken us in certain areas, just for the hope it will improve us in others. I think it was an acceptable gamble to have Sherman in there for what he does well, knowing there was a risk he might get burned deep. But how many teams other than the Chiefs can really exploit us there? And would any other team exploit us if it's not a Superbowl, where players are justifiably not getting called for holdings as much as in the regular season?

It's not all doomy and gloomy. We have very few weaknesses. We can't fix them all. But we'll still be a very good team next year. I don't know that we'll re-sign Sherman after next year, we have to look at the future. And having a young guy we can mold into his successor would be nice. Or maybe Spoon steps up next year. Or maybe we sign another free agent next year to replace Sherm. No reason to panic just yet. But yeah, I'm a little concerned too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Seems like you're more interested in being right than having an actual discussion.

I think the Chiefs just had the speed and the pass blocking necessary to expose any defense. It will be very hard to improve on our personnel on defense. Yes, Sherman isn't what he used to be, and we should be concerned about him not getting any younger. There's a very good chance we draft a DB with our first pick. We have to plan ahead. We could let Sherman go this offseason, if we want to save some money and we have a plan to replace him. But replacing Sherman might weaken us in certain areas, just for the hope it will improve us in others. I think it was an acceptable gamble to have Sherman in there for what he does well, knowing there was a risk he might get burned deep. But how many teams other than the Chiefs can really exploit us there? And would any other team exploit us if it's not a Superbowl, where players are justifiably not getting called for holdings as much as in the regular season?

It's not all doomy and gloomy. We have very few weaknesses. We can't fix them all. But we'll still be a very good team next year. I don't know that we'll re-sign Sherman after next year, we have to look at the future. And having a young guy we can mold into his successor would be nice. Or maybe Spoon steps up next year. Or maybe we sign another free agent next year to replace Sherm. No reason to panic just yet. But yeah, I'm a little concerned too. 

Can't let Sherman go since he made All Pro and his deal is pretty much guaranteed for 2020. And really why should we let go of him? He was a big part of having the best pass defense in the league. @Pandomonium is not wrong in looking at the future or wanting an upgrade, but you don't overreact to the 4th quarter of the SB. 

Like I've been saying, if there is an upgrade to be had at corner? Then like any position, sign me up! But it's not a vital need or anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Can't let Sherman go since he made All Pro and his deal is pretty much guaranteed for 2020. And really why should we let go of him? He was a big part of having the best pass defense in the league. @Pandomonium is not wrong in looking at the future or wanting an upgrade, but you don't overreact to the 4th quarter of the SB. 

Like I've been saying, if there is an upgrade to be had at corner? Then like any position, sign me up! But it's not a vital need or anything. 

That's the thing though....NO CB we draft@31, no matter how talented that person is, going to replicate what Sherman brings as a rookie. Hell, not even in his first few years.

And I seriously doubt they'll outplay either Moseley or Spoon as a rookie either. That's a future return type of pick if you go CB. No rookie is leapfrogging the Sherman/Spoon/Moseley trio. That's why I really don't want us going CB if we stay@31. Now I feel there are other positions a late 1st rounder could come into the team and contribute. But I feel like our top 4 players@CB are pretty much set. Any rookie we draft at the position I believe probably isn't even active on gamedays if everyone is healthy.

I totally get wanting to be prepared for life w/o Sherman and grooming a younger, more athletic player there. But one of the reasons this defense was so good was that we had players who have been in this scheme for years now and they have a familiarity with each other. Its definitely about talent but chemistry plays a major role as well. I think our returning CB unit has great chemistry, as well as talent. And that chemistry allows them to play at a elite level. So while a guy like Sherman may have lost a step and can give up a play or two against really good QB/WR tandems, his value in terms of scheme knowledge, defensive awareness and communication not only allows him to still be a well above average starter, it allows for the secondary as a whole to function at a very high level. You try to move on from that too soon w/o others ready to step into a similar role and you're susceptible to have a major dropoff in execution and overall effectiveness.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

That's the thing though....NO CB we draft@31, no matter how talented that person is, going to replicate what Sherman brings as a rookie. Hell, not even in his first few years.

And I seriously doubt they'll outplay either Moseley or Spoon as a rookie either. That's a future return type of pick if you go CB. No rookie is leapfrogging the Sherman/Spoon/Moseley trio. That's why I really don't want us going CB if we stay@31. Now I feel there are other positions a late 1st rounder could come into the team and contribute. But I feel like our top 4 players@CB are pretty much set. Any rookie we draft at the position I believe probably isn't even active on gamedays if everyone is healthy.

I totally get wanting to be prepared for life w/o Sherman and grooming a younger, more athletic player there. But one of the reasons this defense was so good was that we had players who have been in this scheme for years now and they have a familiarity with each other. Its definitely about talent but chemistry plays a major role as well. I think our returning CB unit has great chemistry, as well as talent. And that chemistry allows them to play at a elite level. So while a guy like Sherman may have lost a step and can give up a play or two against really good QB/WR tandems, his value in terms of scheme knowledge, defensive awareness and communication not only allows him to still be a well above average starter, it allows for the secondary as a whole to function at a very high level. You try to move on from that too soon w/o others ready to step into a similar role and you're susceptible to have a major dropoff in execution and overall effectiveness.

I'm not advocating taking a corner at 31 nor did I say that corner will be an upgrade over we have. Just saying in general if we are able to get an upgrade at say CB or RG or WR etc, then that's fine with me. I just don't see corner as a big need and this team doesn't have many needs period. Can draft to help win next year or draft looking forward to after next season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...