I know we get talk about Alabama vs whoever the worst NFL team is, but what about Alabama vs an XFL team?

Bolts223

Its tricky because on any given College team you are talking abut freshman through 5th year seniors.

Alabama had 39 players drafted in the last 4 NFL Drafts.

It would not be much of a team though with no QB, 7 DTs, and 5 total O-line, 2 of which are centers (Cam Robinson the only Tackle)

Their RBs would be Henry and Jacobs though and Fitzpatrick would be killing it in the secondary. 

Ohio State had 34 players drafted over those years.

Their passing game would be Haskins or Jones who is an XFL QB throwing to Michael Thomas, Curtis Samuel, and Terry McLauren.

'zeke would be the RB

Their pass rush would be a couple of Bosas.

Their secondary would be Lattimore, Ward, Apple, Hooker, and Bell with Conley as 4th corner.

I think 2016-2019 Ohio State graduates would win the XFL. (not a real college team of course)

It becomes an arguement of top end talent with below average players vs a team with average players across the line.

The browns had the best rb from the aaf, below average in the nf, i imagine the xfl level of talent is similar, while alabama or LSU may have one or two Hof calibre/all pro/ pro bowl calibre players that the XFL guys simply dont measure up to in terms of raw talent. 

For my mind it would take a runningback like derrick Henry, trent richardson/adrian peterson/Christian mcaffery/leo fournette, who can just carry the team, with thw backing of some olinmen

4 minutes ago, Small Town Values said:

How about LSU? ... Still think college kids aren't developed enough to compete. A small percentage are, but most aren't. Be interesting to see if the XFL sustains success if they will start taking kids straight out of high school 

I mean you can say LSU for this year,  Clemson/Alabama for other years, etc. The point is just the best college team. Alabama just is generally the best on a year to year basis. Yes LSU was better this past year.

• Like 2

LSU would have some talent advantages - obviously Burrow will be a high draft pick, along with some other players.

But across the board, the XFL team would be better, because there are some players on any great college team that simply aren't good enough to play football beyond the collegiate level. If that talent advantage is at the right position (DL vs. OL for example), the XFL team would massacre them.

College football is disgusting because you're essentially watching the biggest kids teaming up against the smaller kids on an almost weekly basis. The exception to this is (hopefully) when you get to the CFP - but this dynamic can hurt both teams.

On 2/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, Bearerofnews said:

I'm not buying XFL guys are not NFL quality. How many standout studs di we see who were UDFA or PS guys. NFL has limited roster spots for a huge pool of talent and alot of guys just dont get a fair shot.

Let's just wait for the agg% numbers to come out before we get crazy.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:14 AM, Bearerofnews said:

I'm not buying XFL guys are not NFL quality. How many standout studs di we see who were UDFA or PS guys. NFL has limited roster spots for a huge pool of talent and alot of guys just dont get a fair shot.

I'll agree with this to a point - NFL teams stockpile OL and DL. If you're a certain size and athletic, you're sticking on an NFL roster in some capacity.

These XFL OL/DL are either large and unathletic, or athletic and undersized. The only two examples I've seen that defy this are Shawn Oakman and Kony Ealy - both of which had issues beyond football that kept them out of the league. It showed as well, as both Ealy and Oakman were on another level last weekend.

• Like 1

I’m really trying to keep an open mind watching this. DC looks like the best this league has to offer. And the offensive players I know from college football(other than Cardale Jones) Wesley, Bunche, Pumphrey, Dupre, Rogers, Pressley, Brossette, Thompkins. None of these guys were anything special. A few weren’t even good. And the OLinemen I’ve never heard of just look like fat dudes. And it’s been brought up but the coaching would be a colossal mismatch. I just don’t see an XFL team having any real chance against a College Playoff contender.

I'm going to ignore "Alabama" and replace it with "Historically excellent undefeated college team" - this exercise I will consider the 2019 LSU Tigers

The answer has ALWAYS been NFL (and not even close). I wouldn't even bother watching the exhibition

As for XFL - it's much closer.

PRESUMABLY, the best XFL player would be below replacement level NFL player. Joe Burrow would be the best QB on the field. I think the best 5-10 players would be on the LSU side. I'd probably lean XFL, but it there was a spread, I'd consider taking the points

I still wouldn't watch, because I don't care about the XFL - but I would have a lot more faith in it being a good game.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m really trying to keep an open mind watching this. DC looks like the best this league has to offer. And the offensive players I know from college football(other than Cardale Jones) Wesley, Bunche, Pumphrey, Dupre, Rogers, Pressley, Brossette, Thompkins. None of these guys were anything special. A few weren’t even good. And the OLinemen I’ve never heard of just look like fat dudes. And it’s been brought up but the coaching would be a colossal mismatch. I just don’t see an XFL team having any real chance against a College Playoff contender.

This post semi changes my mind

• Like 1

This is like comparing a well oiled machine with years of practice refining the same product with different pieces to a thrown together duct tape ridden mess that was thrown out on the market with whatever parts they could get.

College teams, especially if it's a top 3 program. 

• Like 2