Update: Jordan Reed released

turtle28

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If I were Dan Snyder I’d offer him the $8.5M to retire. For his own safety. 

The money is probably why he isn't going to retire.  If he retires, he forfeits it.  At this point, they have to cut him and he still gets the guaranteed money, or they can come up with an injury settlement, but for the NFLPA to approve of it, it would have to cover at least the guaranteed money he is still owed.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The money is probably why he isn't going to retire.  If he retires, he forfeits it.  At this point, they have to cut him and he still gets the guaranteed money, or they can come up with an injury settlement, but for the NFLPA to approve of it, it would have to cover at least the guaranteed money he is still owed.  

His signing bonus is $1.8 so is that what he gets if he retires?

$1.8 doesn’t sound like a bad retirement to me.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

His signing bonus is $1.8 so is that what he gets if he retires?

$1.8 doesn’t sound like a bad retirement to me.

He has to repay a pro-rated portion of the signing bonus, and other deferred money such as restructure bonuses get accelerated.  The team can spread that hit over two years.  

So Reed, and also Alex Smith, hanging on for all of that money makes a whole lot more sense than retiring.  It's similar in baseball, where a player would rather be declared "medically unable to play" than retire.  That's what Prince Fielder did.  

Such an absolute shame that he’s been so plagued by injuries, because he’s the closest thing we’ve had to a transcendent talent at the skill positions in many many years. 

I think we forget how good Jordan Reed was when he was on the field. Not just a “good” receiver, and honestly “great” might even be selling him short. In his first 40 games, he caught 224 passes. Where does that rank among TEs all time? First. All time. Next closest is (the elder) Kellen Winslow with 204 receptions in his first 40 games. Gronk, Gates, Gonzalez, Kittle, Kelce, Witten, Olsen, Ertz? Not one of them within 40 receptions of Reed in their first 40 games. He and Ertz entered the league at the same time (2013), and Reed caught 101 more passes in his first 40 games than did Ertz. It’s really mind blowing.  

When you throw in WRs, that reception total of 224 in the first 40 games is still 6th all time. He also ranks 4th in yardage and 10th in TDs among TEs in that first 40 game span. 

If we had a healthy Jordan Reed in his prime to go with McLaurin and Guice, we really would be on the verge of something special offensively. Having to move forward without him has been a huge loss for this team, probably for the league as a whole, and it will continue to be — but I hope he’s able to live a happy and healthy life away from the football field, because it’s undeniably time for him to hang it up. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

Such an absolute shame that he’s been so plagued by injuries, because he’s the closest thing we’ve had to a transcendent talent at the skill positions in many many years. 

I think we forget how good Jordan Reed was when he was on the field. Not just a “good” receiver, and honestly “great” might even be selling him short. In his first 40 games, he caught 224 passes. Where does that rank among TEs all time? First. All time. Next closest is (the elder) Kellen Winslow with 204 receptions in his first 40 games. Gronk, Gates, Gonzalez, Kittle, Kelce, Witten, Olsen, Ertz? Not one of them within 40 receptions of Reed in their first 40 games. He and Ertz entered the league at the same time (2013), and Reed caught 101 more passes in his first 40 games than did Ertz. It’s really mind blowing.  

When you throw in WRs, that reception total of 224 in the first 40 games is still 6th all time. He also ranks 4th in yardage and 10th in TDs among TEs in that first 40 game span. 

If we had a healthy Jordan Reed in his prime to go with McLaurin and Guice, we really would be on the verge of something special offensively. Having to move forward without him has been a huge loss for this team, probably for the league as a whole, and it will continue to be — but I hope he’s able to live a happy and healthy life away from the football field, because it’s undeniably time for him to hang it up. 

I absolutely agree. He’s an unbelievable talent. I really hope for his own sake he hangs his cleats up. 

• Like 1

No team will sign him at this point, that’s the reality. No team wants to be that last one that maybe proves to be horrific for him.

Love Jordan Reed, he has a home here in Washington if he needs it I’m sure he will have chances in the media or whatever but this is it for him.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

No team will sign him at this point, that’s the reality. No team wants to be that last one that maybe proves to be horrific for him.

Love Jordan Reed, he has a home here in Washington if he needs it I’m sure he will have chances in the media or whatever but this is it for him.

I doubt NFL teams really care to be honest with you. Somebody will sign him. 

• Like 1