Update: Jordan Reed released

turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I actually got my 10th concussion almost a year ago. I really hope this guy does the right thing for he and his family!!! I hope he has a good councilor too. Because they take a lot too come back from and as much as Jordan wants to put his gifts on this field I really pray this guy hangs it up!!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I actually got my 10th concussion almost a year ago. I really hope this guy does the right thing for he and his family!!! I hope he has a good councilor too. Because they take a lot too come back from and as much as Jordan wants to put his gifts on this field I really pray this guy hangs it up!!!!

Yeah. I just want this guy to have a life later. He's made more than most people will make in a lifetime. All he has to do is invest/spend it wisely and he doesn't have to worry about anything. He needs to retire.

• Like 1

While I know some people would want to release him, and yes he probably does have protection coming to him from the NFLPA or something along those lines, the right thing to do for the guy who gave it up for the team is to keep him rostered.  Let him get treatment from the team, have access to the facilities, etc instead of doing it on his own.  The Steelers could easily release Ryan Shazier but haven't done it yet, because it's the right thing.  Hopefully the Redskins do that.  After a decade of Bruce Allen taking a dump on the players, this would go a long way to proving things are changing. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

While I know some people would want to release him, and yes he probably does have protection coming to him from the NFLPA or something along those lines, the right thing to do for the guy who gave it up for the team is to keep him rostered.  Let him get treatment from the team, have access to the facilities, etc instead of doing it on his own.  The Steelers could easily release Ryan Shazier but haven't done it yet, because it's the right thing.  Hopefully the Redskins do that.  After a decade of Bruce Allen taking a dump on the players, this would go a long way to proving things are changing. 

Well said tbh.

14 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I like that restructure his deal I’m all for him being in the building he’s a redskin!!! So I’d be okay with this. Even if you PUP him and then IR him I’m completely okay with him getting the benifits of the teams care!! Great idea!!!

16 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Do you know if they can restructure his contract to give him some of that $ now and prorated it on their cap over the won't few years? 

I know they can do that with active players like Ryan Kerrigan, not sure if they can do it with someone in the concussion protocol like Jordan Reed though.

Big difference in the Steelers paying Ryan Shazier $473,000 last year and $820,000 this year vs the Redskins having to pay Jordan Reed $10.3 million this year and $9 million next year to not play a down.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Do you know if they can restructure his contract to give him some of that $ now and prorated it on their cap over the won't few years? 

I know they can do that with active players like Ryan Kerrigan, not sure if they can do it with someone in the concussion protocol like Jordan Reed though.

Big difference in the Steelers paying Ryan Shazier $473,000 last year and $820,000 this year vs the Redskins having to pay Jordan Reed $10.3 million this year and $9 million next year to not play a down.

I totally get the point about contract levels.  However, the Steelers are a team that is known to treat their players and coaches with loyalty and reward the same.  The Redskins have been known for the past decade as taking a dump on them.  Even at that contract level, I think it would be worth it to prove that players aren't just a commodity with the Redskins anymore.  And obviously, you can tie that to Reed making appearances and doing things on behalf of the team and at least recoup some of the investment off-the-field.