I strongly believe we should & will add a talented WR to pair with Scary Terry.

aceinthehouse

Most of the talk in Redskins land has been about adding or targeting a TE. Which I obviously agree...

But not as much talk about pairing McLaurin with another stud WR.

Obviously, we want Haskins to succeed. I think adding another 'elite WR will do wonders for Haskins progression.

Many have said we should add or draft a WR, because of how deep the WR class is rumored to be. Can't disagree, because I think we should definitely at least take a flyer on one as well.

I can understand this sentiment because of how much less expensive a draft pick is towards the cap, rather than a vet FA.

But WR's take time to develop. McLaurin is a rare breed if I may say. Usually, you don't see their impact till a couple years down the road. If at all as we saw with Doctson & many others.

Having said that, I could easily see the FO looking to pair McLaurin up with a talented pro bowl caliber WR.

Amari Cooper will probably stay in Dallas, but if not? He would command big money & is still quite young.

Then there is Bengals WR A.J. Green who could be available as well. Older & was dinged up, but would be a solid addition for a couple seasons. 

Anyways, I not only want this to happen, but believe Rivera will look to do the same thing.

This will not only take some pressure off of McLaurin, but also any new TE addition we do make for the team.

Not to mention possibly opening up our running game more, with the fear teams will have of having to face not only Scary Terry? But another very capable WR across from him.

And we have plenty of cap to do so...and btw. I'm not talking a risky signing like Paul Richardson or someone with a small resume before signing. I'm talking an A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Emmanuel Sanders caliber player. Someone YOU KNOW will get it done.

46 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Sorry...

My mind was racing. Lol

Basically, a top pro bowl vet WR that we could add to this team for 3 or 4 yrs.

AJ Green, Julio Jones, E Sanders, S Watkins, etc. type player.

Word is that Sammy Watkins might take the year off after winning a super bowl so maybe he’s not out, but maybe he is. I don’t think he’d want to come to a rebuilding team, if he did, we’d have to overpay.

My issue with any of these guys is we are going to have to overpay to get them. I think it’s best to go with a WR coming off his rookie deal that looks like he has potential to take the next step or going with the young guys we have now plus adding a rookie WR too the mix as well for competition.

How much leverage does AJ Green have in negotiations after missing a whole year because of injury? How do teams know he will be that All Pro WR again, especially at his age? I believe the past 3 seasons he has ended the year on IR.

While I'm intrigued that he did take a whole year off to get healthy, I would need to see him perform on the field before giving him a long term deal. 1 year (12 million guaranteed) or something where he could earn more depending on his performance would be my offer to AJ Green. He would be that solid #1 WR that helps keep pressure off of McLaruin and Harmon as teams have to pay attention to him. Diva Free WR as well. 

Edited by Skins212689

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

How much leverage does AJ Green have in negotiations after missing a whole year because of injury? How do teams know he will be that All Pro WR again, especially at his age? I believe the past 3 seasons he has ended the year on IR.

While I'm intrigued that he did take a whole year off to get healthy, I would need to see him perform on the field before giving him a long term deal. 1 year (12 million guaranteed) or something where he could earn more depending on his performance would be my offer to AJ Green. He would be that solid #1 WR that helps keep pressure off of McLaruin and Harmon as teams have to pay attention to him. Diva Free WR as well. 

AJ Green is a guy you’d like to give a Terrell Pryor type contract to or an incentive laden contract too. He can earn a lot, but his guaranteed $ is low. He must stay healthy on any contract I’d give him as a GM. 

Like with Olsen, I’d rather give Green a 1-year deal for under $10 million.

I think someone will overpay him though, and I don’t want it to be us.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think Amari Cooper is staying Dallas. They have way too much tied up in salary on that offense. I bet they trade up for CeeDee Lamb. 

I think so too and while I want Coop, I don’t want to overpay the guy. He made $13.9 million last year in Dallas, I’d like to get him for something like that at most.

Preferably something where that’s his cap hit next year, but this year it’s structured in a way that his cap hit is $8 or $9 million.

The issue is I think Cooper is looking to make over $15 million a year and there’s no way I’d give him that kind of contract.

I think we can sign someone just below that level who will give us near the production that Cooper will, and if not, roll with what we got plus a WR we draft in the mid to late round and some more hungry UDFA’s like the Sims brothers!

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The issue is I think Cooper is looking to make over $15 million a year and there’s no way I’d give him that kind of contract.

We have plenty of space and a load of guys on rookie deals. I wouldnt mind paying him for a couple/maybe 3 years while our rookies finish developing. But yeah, not 4-5 years at that price.

3 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

We have plenty of space and a load of guys on rookie deals. I wouldnt mind paying him for a couple/maybe 3 years while our rookies finish developing. But yeah, not 4-5 years at that price.

I did math in another thread. Cutting Norman, PRich & Reed nets us $23.5. Plus our $38.9 = $62.4 million 

Bringing Trent back & extending him is going to cost us $2 to 3 few million more in guaranteed money. 

Re-signing Flowers is going to cost us at least $5 million a year.

Franchise or extending Scherff will cost us at most $15 million but it’s true if we get him on a 5 or 6 year deal his cap hit next year could be less than $10 million.

Then, we have to address at least one LB position, plus 2 CB positions and FS.

Lets say we do this:

Sign Tre Boston - $5 mil

Bradberry - $8 mil

Fuller - $4 mil

You add Cooper onto that at $15 million and that puts at $65 million not even counting an upgrade or two at LB or an upgrade in FA at TE.

Then, it’s going to cost about $10 million for our rookies.

We could structure these contracts in a way where the cap # is cheaper for 2020 bc of Alex’s contract this year and then next year we’ll have more cap space when we release him but I don’t know if we have the $ to add Cooper.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

We're probably more in the market for a guy like Devin Funchess, who used to play for Riveria and is coming off injury. Why would AJ Green want to come here? $$ and that's about it.

I’d like to have Funchess put on 10 pounds and play him at TE. I remember when Funchess was young at Michigan he played TE, but they moved him to WR for his junior year or maybe it was Senior year. I think he’s too slow to be an effective WR, he could fit perfectly into a Jordan Reed type TE role, but he’d have to gain a little bit of weight.