Trentwannabe's Mock Off-season & Draft

Trentwannabe

I may edit later on and add numbers to the deals I have us making, but for now let's not dwell on that. Also the draft I did based on a mock draft simulator so I chose the guys that were actually available when we picked.

Re-sign:

DE Shaq Lawson
OG Quinton Spain
DT Corey Liuget
SS Dean Marlowe
CB Kevin Johnson
CB Levi Wallace (ERFA)
WR Robert Foster (ERFA)

Extended
CB Tre White
LB Matt Milano

Release:
DE Trent Murphy
TE Tyler Kroft
*Restructure Star* Convert base salary to the minimum.
Total savings $16,374,167.

Sign:

OT Daryl Williams - The Bills elect to move Ford inside to Guard. Williams can compete with Nsekhe for the RT position. Bills likely look to the draft for a project there.

TE Greg Olson - Finished up a free agent visit. Has a lot of ties to our organization and would be the perfect tutor for Knox.

RB Chris Thompson - I don't know why the Bills brought in Yeldon if they wouldn't use him. Thompson is a similar receiving threat and actually plays on ST.

DE Adrian Clayborn - Veteran who will be much cheaper then Murphy and better against the run.

CB James Bradberry - Probably ends up being too expensive for us be he would solidify our secondary. 

Draft:

Round 1: WR Henry Ruggs III 
- Bills need weapons on offense and that is exactly what this kid is. He is a threat to score whenever he touches the ball. Immediate upgrade.

Round 2: RB JK Dobbins
- Basically everything I said about Ruggs is true for Dobbins. A combination of he and Singletary would be very difficult for opposing defenses. 

Round 3: EDGE Josh Uche
- Not the perfect replacement for Zo but pretty dang close. He can cover in zone and put his hand in the dirt on obvious passing situations. Could play Will in this defense.

Round 4: WR Bryan Edwards
- A tough physical receiver who has enough speed to win deep from time to time. Adding youth and depth here is important.

Round 5a: OT Jack Driscoll
- A developmental guy who could have a future as a starting RT.

Round 5b: LB David Woodward
- Downhill LB who projects to the weakside of a defense. Bills could certainly use some depth here.

Round 6a: FS Reggie Floyd
- Bills could use some depth behind Hyde. Floyd is an athletic freak and could pair well with Jaquan Johnson in the future.

Round 6b: CB Reggie Robinson II
- A tall corner who could provide some special teams ability in year 1 & 2.

Round 6c: QB Steven Montez
- A QB?! Yeah why not? This team is deep and not a whole lot of guys picked in round 6 could make this roster. Matt Barkley is not a great back up so why not try and find a gem late in the draft and see if he develops into a steady number 2? I assume we trade some of these late round picks anyway.

Depth Chart:
QB: Allen, Barkley, Montez
RB: Singletary, Dobbins, Thompson
TE: Knox, Olsen, Sweeney, Smith
X: Brown, Edwards
Y: Beasley, McKenzie
Z: Ruggs, Roberts
LT: Dawkins, Nsehke
LG: Spain
C: Morse, Feliciano
RG: Ford, Long
RT: Williams, Driscoll

DE: Lawson, Hughes
3T: Oliver, Liuget
1T: Star, Phillips
DE: Clayborn, Uche, Johnson
WLB: Thompson, Woodard, Joseph
MLB: Edmunds, Dodson
SLB: Milano
CB: White, Bradberry, T. Johnson, Wallace, Robinson II
FS: Hyde, Floyd
SS: Poyer, Marlowe, J. Johnson

K: Hauchka
P: Boj
LS: Reid

*Few Notes*
I have us cutting Dimarrco and using Sweeney and Smith more as H-backs. 
I listed Boj as Punter but I see more competition coming in
The DE's are listed as run stuffers first and then pass rushers.
Levi Wallace beats out Kevin Johnson for 4th CB spot.

25 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Would rather a slew of other WR over Ruggs III in draft and don't think Uche drops. I think he's fringe 1st round.

I'd be ok with this off season 

Lamb, Jeudy, Higgins and Shenault all gone. As were Espensa, Chaisson and Delpit so I didn't feel I could go elsewhere for value. 

Uche combine will go a long way, but as of right now he has been available in every simulator I've ran through draft network in round 3.

29 minutes ago, marshawn lynch said:

Milano at SLB is a mistake guy is a WLB... think we need to bring in a starter for the position left by Zo. Unles Joseph added some muscle.

K'Lavon Chaisson tops my BB in real life. I think he steps in for Zo from day 1

I'd be happy if we got Chaisson than traded up for one of Higgins, Shenault or Jefferson earlier in 2nd if one drops as anticipated

Edited by BillsGuy82

1 hour ago, marshawn lynch said:

Milano at SLB is a mistake guy is a WLB... think we need to bring in a starter for the position left by Zo. Unles Joseph added some muscle.

Well two things,

1. Those positions in today's NFL are basically interchangeable. 

2.  the Bills list Milano as their SLB. He covered TE's more than Zo ever did. 

54 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

K'Lavon Chaisson tops my BB in real life. I think he steps in for Zo from day 1

I'd be happy if we got Chaisson than traded up for one of Higgins, Shenault or Jefferson earlier in 2nd if one drops as anticipated

I love the idea of Chaisson but I wonder how often we would have him put his hand in the dirt as opposed to drop back and cover.

I think this season we continue seeing the trend of more big nickel from this defense with just Milano and Edmunds as the backers.

To me re-signing Spain, then transferring Ford to Guard, and signing Daryl Williams who played LG for the Panthers this past year due to his inability to play at RT as he was beat out for the position. So to me this doesnt make sense to add all these interior guys when you have Spain and Feliciano doing a solid job at Guard. If Spain is re-signed then Ford is staying at RT. I could see them then looking at re-signing Waddle to compete and be the swing Tackle for them putting Ty on the outs if he struggles in camp. If spain does not resign I could see them bringing in Daryl Willliams to compete with Ford for RT and then the loser will be sliding to Guard whether it is Daryl at LG or Feliciano at LG and Ford at RG. 

Like the dump of Murphy but not a fan of clayborn he is going to be 32 and the bills need fresh blood in there to attack the pass rusher would rather go after a younger pass rusher. Not a fan of Bradberry, if you have Kevin Johnson and Wallace both re-signing then the 2nd Corner spot is locked in with those two and Bradberry is going to command 12+ mil a year on top of extending Tre would be a lot on the corner position. 

Bills ran with a 2 rb set last year and I am sure they will do it again this year so thompson and dobbins do not make sense especially spending a 2nd rd on one guy when other needs are out there. I would like to change from Dobbins to Pittman if they were going to draft 2 wr in the draft. 

I get that a QB is always great to add but the bills need Punter and Kicker competition and would prefer that draft pick for one of those two positions.

Everything else I can live with on this offseason. I am a fan of Ruggs just not sure if he will be there, and I like Uche. 

People want to argue about Milano which I get but majority of the sets the bills played had only 2 LBs on the field with 5 DBs out there so adding more DBs in the draft make sense. They can use a LB to bring in for times where they go back to a traditional 4-3 which ZO was in for and have them rush the passer 

On 2/11/2020 at 11:37 AM, soflbillsfan said:

To me re-signing Spain, then transferring Ford to Guard, and signing Daryl Williams who played LG for the Panthers this past year due to his inability to play at RT as he was beat out for the position. So to me this doesnt make sense to add all these interior guys when you have Spain and Feliciano doing a solid job at Guard. If Spain is re-signed then Ford is staying at RT. I could see them then looking at re-signing Waddle to compete and be the swing Tackle for them putting Ty on the outs if he struggles in camp. If spain does not resign I could see them bringing in Daryl Willliams to compete with Ford for RT and then the loser will be sliding to Guard whether it is Daryl at LG or Feliciano at LG and Ford at RG. 

Like the dump of Murphy but not a fan of clayborn he is going to be 32 and the bills need fresh blood in there to attack the pass rusher would rather go after a younger pass rusher. Not a fan of Bradberry, if you have Kevin Johnson and Wallace both re-signing then the 2nd Corner spot is locked in with those two and Bradberry is going to command 12+ mil a year on top of extending Tre would be a lot on the corner position. 

Bills ran with a 2 rb set last year and I am sure they will do it again this year so thompson and dobbins do not make sense especially spending a 2nd rd on one guy when other needs are out there. I would like to change from Dobbins to Pittman if they were going to draft 2 wr in the draft. 

I get that a QB is always great to add but the bills need Punter and Kicker competition and would prefer that draft pick for one of those two positions.

Everything else I can live with on this offseason. I am a fan of Ruggs just not sure if he will be there, and I like Uche. 

People want to argue about Milano which I get but majority of the sets the bills played had only 2 LBs on the field with 5 DBs out there so adding more DBs in the draft make sense. They can use a LB to bring in for times where they go back to a traditional 4-3 which ZO was in for and have them rush the passer 

I hadn't realized Daryl Williams got moved inside. I will replace him with a different Tackle next go around.

The idea behind Clayborn is to get a run stuffer to pair with a young pass rusher. I am not as confident in Wallace and Kevin Johnson competing for our #2 CB position as most. I think it's a sneaky high need.

Not sure what you mean about 2b sets. My thought is basically instead of having Perry active or even on the roster, sign Thompson who can do all specials and is actually a threat on offense. I think RB is a pretty high need. I love Singletary but we have nothing behind him and he likely isn't going to see 25+ touches a game (nor should he).

I thought about going Punter in round 6 but I really didn't know who. I know the Bills signed that former Viking/Raven/Jet guy to come in and compete for the punter job this summer.

Edited by Trentwannabe

38 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

I hadn't realized Daryl Williams got moved inside. I will replace him with a different Tackle next go around. I'll be pretty discouraged if Ford stays at RT though. He showed next to nothing there and looks like a liability to me. 

The idea behind Clayborn is to get a run stuffer to pair with a young pass rusher. I am not as confident in Wallace and Kevin Johnson competing for our #2 CB position as most. I think it's a sneaky high need.

Not sure what you mean about 2b sets. My thought is basically instead of having Perry active or even on the roster, sign Thompson who can do all specials and is actually a threat on offense. I think RB is a pretty high need. I love Singletary but we have nothing behind him and he likely isn't going to see 25+ touches a game (nor should he).

I thought about going Punter in round 6 but I really didn't know who. I know the Bills signed that former Viking/Raven/Jet guy to come in and compete for the punter job this summer.

Yea he was kicked inside for majority of the season if not the entire. He was decent at LG but to me it doesnt make sense if spain was to be resigned. If the bills were going to move on from Spain I would like for them to go all in on Conklin and slide Feliciano to LG putting ford at RG. I just dont know if they commit that money considering Dawkins is going to be a FA and wants to get paid I am sure so you have to take that in to consideration. Keeping Spain is the ideal thing if you can land him for 5-6 mil a year.  Re-signing waddle would be a great move to as to be able to compete at RT with the original intention last offseason before getting injured. 

As for RB I agree its a need but keep in mind they only had 2 on the active roster almost all year. Yes Perry is a RB but he was on Special teams and ran the ball 3 times in week 17 so to me he is labeled as RB but he was on the roster  ST. 

Yea the kicker turned punter isnt smething I want to scream about but I get it that is competition I think Hausch needs to have some legitimate competition too.

1 hour ago, Trentwannabe said:

I hadn't realized Daryl Williams got moved inside. I will replace him with a different Tackle next go around. I'll be pretty discouraged if Ford stays at RT though. He showed next to nothing there and looks like a liability to me. 

Agreed on Bills needing a CB2. I think Bradberry is ideal CB2 and could go for 8-9 million.

Also agree on Cody Ford. I don't see a future for him at OT. Might be wise to kick him inside. I could see us drafting OT in round 2-3 tbh. Someone like Trey Adams 

Edited by BillsGuy82
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Agreed on Bills needing a CB2. I think Bradberry is ideal CB2 and could go for 8-9 million.

Also agree on Cody Ford. I don't see a future for him at OT. Might be wise to kick him inside. I could see us drafting OT in round 2-3 tbh. Someone like Trey Adams 

Agree with the bolded big time. Even if it just ends up being insurance in case we don't re-sign Dawkins.