brownie man

Are you a Minshew believer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do

• Roll with Minshew he’s a starter
    • Trade up for a top QB this year
    • Try to draft QB later outside the first round

I don’t think so 

I don’t think he’s a Super Bowl caliber QB. And I think Jacksonville needs to trade up with Detroit at pick 3 to draft Tua. 

Minshew has a great rookie season, but do I think he can compete against the future of the AFC QBs. I don’t think so even in a best case scenario. Jacksonville is my surprise team to trade up, and I really believe they need to do it while they’re in the perfect position. Pick 3 is going to be available and they’re close enough that the jump is feasible  I’d trade a 2021 first to move up to 3 and secure Tua. Have Minshew start while Tua recovers then trade Minshew next year if possible.

Mahomes

Burrow

Watson

Lamar 

Josh Allen

Drew Lock

I've shared my opinion on Minshew in other threads - I think he's another Case Keenum, someone who can look very good in spots, but is too reliant on off script plays to maintain production. He's just as likely to hit a big 50 yard scoring play as he is to take a 15 yard sack or throw a pick six into double coverage. 

He's a good holdover to someone who might be a big name. If you were to give Jacob Eason a shot in TC, he could win the starting gig - but even if he didn't, you could give him a RS season while Minshew takes the starting role for a season.

I think any Minshew-led team is capped at a 9-7 season, and that's with a LOT of breaks in the way. 

• Like 5

Moreso now than ever, there’s a round bias placed on QBs. I feel like it plays a big part in the perception of Dak Prescott vs like Carson Wentz. If Gardner Minshew was drafted in the first round, even the second I don’t think we are having this conversation. I think Gardner has earned the right to attempt and to try to get developed like anyone else has.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

Moreso now than ever, there’s a round bias placed on QBs. I feel like it plays a big part in the perception of Dak Prescott vs like Carson Wentz. If Gardner Minshew was drafted in the first round, even the second I don’t think we are having this conversation. I think Gardner has earned the right to attempt and to try to get developed like anyone else has.

But do you pass on the potential of acquiring a true expected franchise QB like Tua for a maybe in Minshew. 

No one ever got more good press for leading his teams to 3, 6, 10, 12, and 12 points in 5 of his 12 starts.

Sure, you can start him for the next 15 years if you have no interest in winning.

If that makes him a starter then he's a starter.

The teams he beat:

• 2-11 Dalton Bengals
  • 2-6 Flacco Broncos
  • 2-4 Mariota Titans
  • 7-9 Raiders on a 1-5 slide to end the season
  • 7-9 Indy on a 1-5 slide to end the season
  • 7-6 Darnold Jets

His passer rating was fine because 13 fumbles with 7 lost don't count against passer rating. 

He led the Jags to 15 points against the Texans in 2 games.

Drew Lock put up 17 points on the Texans in the 2nd quarter.

This does not mean he can't eventually grow into a starting NFL QB. He just kinda sucks right now.

• Like 3

I got to see him play against my Falcons this year and I was... unimpressed. The Falcons had one of the worst secondaries in all of professional football this year and Minshew struggled against them. That's a major red flag to me. His WRs are definitely bad (if you're not getting open against Isiah Oliver, you're just straight up trash) but I think there's a pretty seriously ceiling on his potential. I'm not convinced. We're not exactly world beaters on defense, so I just find that pretty alarming.

Maybe he was better in other games, I didn't get to watch a lot of Jaguars games this year.

Edited by Hukos