brownie man

Are you a Minshew believer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do

• Roll with Minshew he’s a starter
    • Trade up for a top QB this year
    • Try to draft QB later outside the first round

11 hours ago, TDTimes said:

Just start Foles.  People want to forget that Minshew’s play was tailing off badly at the time Foles returned from injury.  Marrone should have been fired for benching Foles and putting Minshew back in to end the season.

Foles is the one the organization made the commitment to — at least for one more season.  If he resembles Blake Bortles next season, then the Jags can be in the QB market in 2021.  Minshew is JAG

The Jaguars will be in the NFL cellar within 2 years the way they’re running things there

He was pretty much given a single chance to prove himself leading up to Foles' return and it had to happen on a week where the Jags were playing in London which is a horrible context to judge player performance in (Mitch Trubisky had possibly his best game of the season in London.) I think it's also worth pointing out the team was caught up in Jalen Ramsey/Tom Coughlin drama right prior to him being benched.

The issues with relying on off-script play are perfectly valid but i've seen him make surprisingly sharp decisions while scrambling which makes me question if his ceiling is really that low. Giving him another year to see how he improves seems like the right decision to me. In the state they're in it's not like the Jags have to put all of their money on the table asap for a 2020 playoff berth anyway.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume most people talking about how Minshew looked and what the Jags need to do, didn’t actually watch the Jags play this year.

I’d stick with Minshew this year and if he bombs then we are in prime position for Lawrence/Fields. Jacksonville is completely behind Minshew and he definitely flashed last year. I think he has earned the right to be the guy next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume most people talking about how Minshew looked and what the Jags need to do, didn’t actually watch the Jags play this year.

I’d stick with Minshew this year and if he bombs then we are in prime position for Lawrence/Fields. Jacksonville is completely behind Minshew and he definitely flashed last year. I think he has earned the right to be the guy next year.

The issue with this - what if Minshew is good enough to go 6-10 or 7-9? That puts the Jags squarely outside of Lawrence/Fields territory. 

Do you trade up for a guy like this? The Jags should have enough to move up to get either guy, pending teams in the top 3-5 don't have QB needs of their own.

15 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The issue with this - what if Minshew is good enough to go 6-10 or 7-9? That puts the Jags squarely outside of Lawrence/Fields territory. 

Do you trade up for a guy like this? The Jags should have enough to move up to get either guy, pending teams in the top 3-5 don't have QB needs of their own.

I think what you are explaining here is honestly the worst case scenario and it's valid to think about. They do however, have the flexibility where they can make that move if they need to and one of the teams is willing to move down. Frankly, I don't like Fields that much as a prospect overall, but I'm willing to be wrong on this.

My thing with Minshew is you can point at the fact that his performances have been lackluster, but I blame much of that on the coaching, and I also think that's valid. Minshew has the capability where you an open up the playbook I feel like, and I don't know that Marrone does that.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SkippyX said:

No one ever got more good press for leading his teams to 3, 6, 10, 12, and 12 points in 5 of his 12 starts.

Sure, you can start him for the next 15 years if you have no interest in winning.

If that makes him a starter then he's a starter.

The teams he beat:

• 2-11 Dalton Bengals
  • 2-6 Flacco Broncos
  • 2-4 Mariota Titans
  • 7-9 Raiders on a 1-5 slide to end the season
  • 7-9 Indy on a 1-5 slide to end the season
  • 7-6 Darnold Jets

His passer rating was fine because 13 fumbles with 7 lost don't count against passer rating. 

He led the Jags to 15 points against the Texans in 2 games.

Drew Lock put up 17 points on the Texans in the 2nd quarter.

This does not mean he can't eventually grow into a starting NFL QB. He just kinda sucks right now.

So you’re telling me a 6th round rookie QB won 6 games in 12 starts? Sign me up.

3 hours ago, Chops013 said:

I've admitted that I've only seen one game from him this year, but that game was a really horrible performance from him - against one of the worst defenses in the NFL too (Atlanta). That wasn't a good look, at least for me. Are there any performances you think that contradict what I saw?

Edited by Hukos

I think he's a dangerous sort of potential QB purgatory.  He's smart, and because of the round he was drafted in...it's attractive to just sorta roll with it and see where it goes, while telling yourself, "we've got such a cheap QB we can overload with other weapons".  But realistically...the Jaguars cap situation is too jacked up to truly do that, and i just don't think Minshew is good enough to really elevate a team to wins.  I feel like in a specific system, he could be something like a poor man's JimmyG.  Unfortunately, that's just not good enough to win it all without some absolutely ridiculous good luck.  Banking on extraordinary good fortune, is not a viable team-building strategy imo.

He's a fun character, and probably going to have a very long career as a solid backup who can even spot start some games for you as a stopgap or whatever.

Minshew does have an ability to improvise and make those off script plays, which kept him alive and made him look a lot better than a guy in Foles who has no ability whatsoever to do that kind of thing.  But if that's the bar we're setting...the Jaguars probably aren't going anywhere any time soon, other than back to the draft...and London a few times a year.  Fundamentally, if you can't get better OLine play, the QB isn't really going to make the difference there.  So the big "advantage" to a guy like Minshew, is basically trying to win the losing season.

I think realistically, he's the guy who has to start for the Jaguars coming out of camp next year.  Foles just needs to be ejected, even if it costs a fortune on the cap.  He's not an option for a team in this situation right now.  Even if Foles wasn't terrible for the Jags, he's a pointless stopgap at this point...for a team that needs to find a real answer.  That's where i really want to see them use that late 1st/early 2nd on a QB with some upside like Eason or Love, and see where it goes from there.  Minshew is fine to be that stopgap starter while you give a more "raw" prospect some time to sit and acclimatize for a while.  I'll just be really disappointed if there's no potential other solution at the QB position on the horizon when the Jaguars are sitting there with a losing record 6 or 7 weeks into the season and the year is basically over; time to look onward to the 2021 draft, lather, rinse, repeat.  I'm just so tired of that.

• 2 months later...

Where's the option for "I don't think he's a long term starter, but I have zero interest in seeing Dave Caldwell get another shot at drafting a QB"?

Because that's where I'm at. I think Minshew is limited as a player and doesn't have the stuff to be a legit quality QB, but Dave Caldwell has had three different starters, two of which he spent big money on. He shouldn't get a chance to draft another. He can sink or swim with what he has, and when he fails, let the new regime scout a QB to go after.

Edited by pwny
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:55 PM, RamblinMan99 said:

The worst kind of luck Jacksonville could ever have is for Minshew to be anything like Kirk Cousins.  

Minshew plays his best in crunch time. So if you give me normal Kirk Cousins that shows up in big moments than I'm A-OK with that.