Quinton Dunbar no OTA's

Legend_Kenny4ever

I don't blame him. He wants a new contract and while when he plays he's been our #1 corner for two years, availability has been an issue with him, so I'm not sold he's earned a big time contract extension at this point. He's missed 14 games over the last two years.

Dunbar is entering the final year of his contract, the time for him to ask for an extension is now.  He's also coming off of his best season, and at around $4 mil last year was seriously underpaid for the level of play he had.  

That being said, he's 28 and he's had some injury concerns in the past.  I would put Dunbar on the trade block and see what we could get for him.  We could then just replace him with someone in free agency.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m sure we’ll wait until next off-season and knowing our luck he’ll have an all-pro season and we’ll have to pay him 10x what we could just pay him now. It’s the Redskins way. 

This is the truth right here folks. Write it down, take a note, take a picture, video it ... I don't give a blank!

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Dunbar is entering the final year of his contract, the time for him to ask for an extension is now.  He's also coming off of his best season, and at around $4 mil last year was seriously underpaid for the level of play he had.  

That being said, he's 28 and he's had some injury concerns in the past.  I would put Dunbar on the trade block and see what we could get for him.  We could then just replace him with someone in free agency.  

So, let me get this straight. We've developed a corner who was a college WR into a debatable #1 corner over the 5 years and instead of giving our best corner a contract extension you want to trade him? Making an already weak spot of our defense even worse?

I do not understand this thought process. We can keep a #1b at worst corner and not have to overpay him like we did Norman in 2016. Dunbar will be 28 in July, so he's not even 28 yet. Give him a 4 year deal. This is important to our lockeroom to keep our own. It's important to team chemistry. Trading him would be a mistake and we wouldn't get back in return the value of keeping him.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is how I feel as well.A lot of quality CBs in the draft as well.1st year of rebuild is not the time to pay anyone.

37 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We can keep a #1b at worst corner and not have to overpay him like we did Norman in 2016. Dunbar will be 28 in July, so he's not even 28 yet. Give him a 4 year deal. This is important to our lockeroom to keep our own. It's important to team chemistry. Trading him would be a mistake and we wouldn't get back in return the value of keeping him.

Easier said than done though.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Dunbar also has an extensive injury history, and basically had a 1 year career year this past year.  We could sell high.  

We could. I agree with both you and @turtle28 in a sense, as you both have valid points. We are so thin and inept at CB right now that trading Dunbar seems ridiculous. But... if someone makes a ridiculous offer...

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We could. I agree with both you and @turtle28 in a sense, as you both have valid points. We are so thin and inept at CB right now that trading Dunbar seems ridiculous. But... if someone makes a ridiculous offer...

I'm always suspicious of "advanced metrics" that claim a player was elite, yet when you look at the product of the whole the defense didn't perform that well.  Was Dunbar terrible?  No.  Was he an elite level player like PFF was trying to tout all year?  I don't think so either.  

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm always suspicious of "advanced metrics" that claim a player was elite, yet when you look at the product of the whole the defense didn't perform that well.  Was Dunbar terrible?  No.  Was he an elite level player like PFF was trying to tout all year?  I don't think so either.  

Agreed, but if you do move on from him.... You need to replace your Top 3 corners - Norman, Dunbar, Moreau. I say that because Moreau kinda sucks and I want someone better. Could Moreland be that guy? Maybe. He also might need more time. 

I don't mind him not showing up to protect himself. This is the bussiness side of things where the Player is in control. If the team has a problem with this they need to add some guaranteed money to Dunbar's contract. Dude has definitely EARNED his while playing for the Skins. 

You know some of that money that will be available after the release of Reed, Richardson, and Norman give some to Dunbar. 

Edited by Skins212689