Quinton Dunbar no OTA's

Legend_Kenny4ever

41 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Seems like Dunbar is walking his requests/demands back:

Of course Keim is correct. 
negotiation 101

Step1- throw out a high demand and put the threat either explicit or implicit that you won’t be playing.

step 2. Walk it back by saying you were misunderstood or there was confusion, but I still want a new contract

step 3. In the Redskins court- either they are interested or not

Step 4- coming soon 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not sure what you’re advocating for here. Pay them both? Trade them both? Release them both? Treat them exactly the same — meaning force Dunbar to sit out the entire season before revisiting his situation once we make a comprehensive regime change — because to do otherwise would be inconsistent?

I take your point. I really do. But every personnel decision is made based on a variety of factors, the most important of which are how good the player is and how important he is to the team. If a camp fodder rookie gets arrested for DUI during training camp, he’s probably getting cut before he gets booked. If Terry McLaurin catches a DUI? They’re finding him some counseling and an 8-hour educational class. In the aftermath of Deflategate, just as one example, the Pats immediately suspended the equipment managers in question — but they fought all the way through federal court to keep that other guy from getting suspended. 

The only mindset they need to be consistent about, in my book, is doing what’s best for the Redskins. What if someone offers a great deal for Dunbar (say, late 1st from the Vikings) but all they get is terrible offers for Trent (say, mid 4th from the Browns)? Should they do both deals, simply so they can’t be accused of disparate treatment? Turn them both down?

There has to be some accounting for individualized circumstances. We need quality LT play to help ensure continued development of our young franchise QB. We don’t have many (or any) good options, that I’m aware of, to replace Trent this offseason. I would love to, if possible, so I’m all ears for suggestions. But unless there’s another good option, cutting ties with Trent would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. It’s making the team worse to prove a point, even if it admittedly doesn’t send the best message. But with Dunbar, we’d be more able to facilitate his departure because we simply have some actual replacement options in FA at his position.

NOTE: I started writing this before the news came out about Dunbar claiming he didn’t ask for a trade. If that’s true, and he actually does just want a phone call from the team to tell him where he stands, then I don’t think there’s any need to cut him loose either. 

Well I am not aware of this new news.  

But my feeling is that Trent William's offense was much bigger and more protracted than what we are seeing with Dunbar which is already clear.  So if you are going to give TW a pass, we better be doing the same with Dunbar.  

And really, I am not sure why people think resigning Trent Williams to some multi year mostly guaranteed super expensive extension at this age is really what is best for the redskins. 

On the other hand if we just put dunbar on the lower end of the starting CB pay scale (give him a raise this year and beyond) we are getting bargain basement pricing still.  And of course we should have expected him to be looking for an extension this offseason.  We should be proactive about this stuff rather than wait for it to bite us in the *** like this.  I guess with the front office change could be to blame and they need time to get their act together.  But cmon, imagine if we make him play out the year on the contract and he actually gives us a full season of what we have been seeing from him.  He would be getting a huge contract after that and wouldn't be affordable.  It just makes sense to pay him now.

Have to wonder if his Agent did the trade demand trying to get something done with combine coming up without Dunbar spec telling him to do it,Kinda like when it came out Anthony Barr agreed to deal with Jets but then said he didn't want to leave Minny  last year

• Like 1

I think he’s a good player. I don’t think we should let him leave because I think he’s someone that fires up these young guys. I look forward to seeing sound fundamentals from this defense with this staff I think Dunbar can feast in this system he’s really good at jumping the quick routes

• Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 11:05 PM, offbyone said:

This is the culture problem right here.  If we treat players different because of their importance then we are failing the culture game.  Weren't we all upset when Dan Snyder picked favorites and gave them special treatment?  But it is ok for Rivera to do it?  This is the wrong way to build a team.  

There is no consistency between these situations.  Trent completely blew this team off and left us in the lurch last year all the way into the start of the season.  I think Dunbar's situation is a lot different and apparently he was in negotiations with us for an extension.

I think this take is wrong. Trent was clear his issues were with Bruce Allen/him not giving him more guaranteed money and the medical staff and not with Snyder/the team or teammates.

Now, there are differing opinions amongst fans on whether that beef was ok to do what he did last year or not, but I commend him for standing up to Bruce and for his stance because it forced a whole host of chances that were needed at Redskins park going back to 2017 at the least - arguably back to 2013 when Bruce & Shanny should be been fired together bc they weren't doing a good job.

None of us are in that locker room, but from the comments that were coming from teammates last summer, his teammates were on his side and they felt like he was standing up for the entire team in what he did.

So, IMO the locker room really has a lot of respect for Trent and not only would they welcome him back, but he’ll be a team captain again.

Now, folks like Thai and you will complain about that, but truthfully it's not what we as fans want, it's what the players will want if Trent returns, and I think they want him back in that locker room and I think he's going to be treated like more than a God then he already was by the rest of the team.

• Like 1

We could give him a few years and turn this guy into a all pro and get a huge comp pick when he’s 31 getting a huge deal and we get a good comp and our youth fits the scheme these coaches have put in. If he’s not overly crazy I’m paying him

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think this take is wrong. Trent was clear his issues were with Bruce Allen/him not giving him more guaranteed money and the medical staff and not with Snyder/the team or teammates.

Now, there are differing opinions amongst fans on whether that beef was ok to do what he did last year or not, but I commend him for standing up to Bruce and for his stance because it forced a whole host of chances that were needed at Redskins park going back to 2017 at the least - arguably back to 2013 when Bruce & Shanny should be been fired together bc they weren't doing a good job.

None of us are in that locker room, but from the comments that were coming from teammates last summer, his teammates were on his side and they felt like he was standing up for the entire team in what he did.

So, IMO the locker room really has a lot of respect for Trent and not only would they welcome him back, but he’ll be a team captain again.

Now, folks like Thai and you will complain about that, but truthfully it's not what we as fans want, it's what the players will want if Trent returns, and I think they want him back in that locker room and I think he's going to be treated like more than a God then he already was by the rest of the team.

You are basically applauding having the inmates run the asylum.  There is nothing ok about what Trent Williams did last year.  You can give him a pass on it if you want, but acting like it is acceptable behavior is ridiculous.

Everyone complains about Snyder entitling players.  That is exactly what this is.  We are entitling Trent Williams.  Again, I understand if you want want to take the attitude that we should let bygones be bygones, but this is not appropriate.  Should Dwayne Haskins complain publicly and get Scott Turner fired if he doesn't like him?  Would that be ok?  Maybe the janitor bumps into Montez Sweat in the hallway and Sweat throws a hissy fit.  Should fire the janitor?  IMO Entitlement=bad culture.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, offbyone said:

You are basically applauding having the inmates run the asylum.  There is nothing ok about what Trent Williams did last year.  You can give him a pass on it if you want, but acting like it is acceptable behavior is ridiculous.

Everyone complains about Snyder entitling players.  That is exactly what this is.  We are entitling Trent Williams.  Again, I understand if you want want to take the attitude that we should let bygones be bygones, but this is not appropriate.  Should Dwayne Haskins complain publicly and get Scott Turner fired if he doesn't like him?  Would that be ok?  Maybe the janitor bumps into Montez Sweat in the hallway and Sweat throws a hissy fit.  Should fire the janitor?  IMO Entitlement=bad culture.

I disagree with you 100%.  Trent is a hero for helping get that POS fired.  Blindly following bad leadership is not loyalty.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I disagree with you 100%.  Trent is a hero for helping get that POS fired.  Blindly following bad leadership is not loyalty.  

That’s kinda where I was saying I love Trent if he was the last factor to Bruce’s tenor!!

I can’t believe people don’t want Trent back and would rather roll with the trash that’s available in the free agent market. Keeping Trent is what’s best for the team and Haskins. It also gives us a few more years to find his replacement while we stockpile other positions on the team.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, Doc Draper said:

Of course Keim is correct. 
negotiation 101

Step1- throw out a high demand and put the threat either explicit or implicit that you won’t be playing.

step 2. Walk it back by saying you were misunderstood or there was confusion, but I still want a new contract

step 3. In the Redskins court- either they are interested or not

Step 4- coming soon 

Given that this is what I do as part of my job, you are spot on sir!

Guys, if you want to talk about Trent, there's a thread for that. Do it there.

I personally have zero problem with Dunny trying to get more $ here and understand where he's coming from and why. 

That being said, I also wouldn't pay him a king's ransom either. So if we're at an impasse, trade him.

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Guys, if you want to talk about Trent, there's a thread for that. Do it there.

I personally have zero problem with Dunny trying to get more $ here and understand where he's coming from and why. 

That being said, I also wouldn't pay him a king's ransom either. So if we're at an impasse, trade him.

I don't think we know where we are with Dunny currently. He said he doesn't want to be traded and he's having a meeting with Rivera to know where he stands in the team's future plans.

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don't think we know where we are with Dunny currently. He said he doesn't want to be traded and he's having a meeting with Rivera to know where he stands in the team's future plans.

Yup. I get that. I'm just saying that we should tell him we want him back but if he's asking for the moon then I'd work out a trade partner for his services.

• Like 2