Jump to content
Legend_Kenny4ever

Quinton Dunbar no OTA's

Recommended Posts

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

 

Who on earth would pay him 14M a year?  He can't possibly be asking for top 5 corner money.  Where did Cooley get this number?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Who on earth would pay him 14M a year?  He can't possibly be asking for top 5 corner money.  Where did Cooley get this number?

Because PFF was saying he was the 2nd best corner in the NFL. He was responding to that. Cooley was speaking about how Dunbar is the best CB on our team right now...but he is still just a #2 CB and that we shouldn't pay him like the 2nd best CB in the league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling his bluff if I’m the skins. He won't sit out the season, he can't afford it. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Because PFF was saying he was the 2nd best corner in the NFL. He was responding to that. Cooley was speaking about how Dunbar is the best CB on our team right now...but he is still just a #2 CB and that we shouldn't pay him like the 2nd best CB in the league

Also, I’m sure - as I have thought all along - his agent and him are looking at Norman’s contract, seeing that we just cut him and now Dunny is the #1 corner so he should just be slotted into that pay scale.

Well, it doesn't work that way. Dunny has to earn it, and he hasn't yet, but I hope he does this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Agreed.  If he wants some crazy elite deal then I think the fans would universally say get lost.  But if he is just asking to say double his current pay to 7-8M/year then I think all of the fans would say the front office are being fools.  I just hope they actually listened to his request.  I assume they know what it is because the word was that he was in the middle of extension talks with Bruce Allen and gang before they got fired.

 7-8 is fair IMO. Even maybe going up to 10 if his numbers repated themselves next year. Dumbar definitely has been fun to watch and develop, I would be dispappointed seeing him leave as a Free Agent or Traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

 7-8 is fair IMO. Even maybe going up to 10 if his numbers repated themselves next year. Dumbar definitely has been fun to watch and develop, I would be dispappointed seeing him leave as a Free Agent or Traded.

I agree he would be worth it if he plays more than 11 games, which he hasn't done in his last - and only - two years in the league as a starter. For me, this is something that needs to be visited next February/March after Dunny has played for Rivera/Del Rio and after hopefully he has a healthy 2020 season. 

The dude has to prove he can at least play 3/4 of the season for me before I give him even top 20 CB money, which is what $10 million a year for a CB is.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would trade or cut Dunbar. He was the best corner on one of the worst secondaries in the league. I’m sure they could find another player to match his production that wants to play here.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

I would trade or cut Dunbar. He was the best corner on one of the worst secondaries in the league. I’m sure they could find another player to match his production that wants to play here.. 

There’s no way I would just outright cut him. If he’s not traded then he’s playing out his final year opposite Bradberry which I’m fairly certain we’re signing. Maybe Moreland or Moreau take a step up under the new regime and then you can let Dunbar walk and get a compensation pick. But there’s simply no way I’m creating a giant hole just to appease Dunbar. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There’s no way I would just outright cut him. If he’s not traded then he’s playing out his final year opposite Bradberry which I’m fairly certain we’re signing. Maybe Moreland or Moreau take a step up under the new regime and then you can let Dunbar walk and get a compensation pick. But there’s simply no way I’m creating a giant hole just to appease Dunbar. 

You act like Dunbar is on the same level as Stephon Gilmore. The past two years he has played 7 and 11 games. He is the best corner on the worst secondary in the league. You could easily replace his production in FA. If you don’t extend him, he will skip all of OTAs and camp then get hurt early in the season when he finally shows up. If he wants to go....let him go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

You act like Dunbar is on the same level as Stephon Gilmore. The past two years he has played 7 and 11 games. He is the best corner on the worst secondary in the league. You could easily replace his production in FA. If you don’t extend him, he will skip all of OTAs and camp then get hurt early in the season when he finally shows up. If he wants to go....let him go. 

Yep, you’re right. I totally equated him to the best corner in football.....

Anyway, no, you don’t just cut him because that’s stupid. You get value for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you think your going to get for him? Maybe a conditional sixth? You have to find a trade partner that is willing to extend him, or we can pay him to sit on IR.  I not extending an often injured middle of the road corner that has now complained publicly twice. Why keep a disgruntled player on the roster in hopes to get a 7th round comp pick in 2022. His lvl of production is not going to be hard to replace in FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

You act like Dunbar is on the same level as Stephon Gilmore. The past two years he has played 7 and 11 games. He is the best corner on the worst secondary in the league. You could easily replace his production in FA. If you don’t extend him, he will skip all of OTAs and camp then get hurt early in the season when he finally shows up. If he wants to go....let him go. 

I don't think any of us would claim Dunbar is a top corner in the league, but everyone is saying he is a starting corner in the league and he has shown potential to be very good one.  None of us still have any idea what he really wants in this new contract.  But one thing is clear he has a one year deal left at 4.4 million and he is an ascending player.  He is a homegrown talent and if we doubled his salary he would still be considered cheap for a starting cb.

Look at Xavier Rhodes.  He was considered one of the best in the league and has a crappy season.  He gets paid 14 million a year.  We could easily sign a bradburry or someone like that on a 14M/year type deal and they could become let downs like Rhodes.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

I would trade or cut Dunbar. He was the best corner on one of the worst secondaries in the league. I’m sure they could find another player to match his production that wants to play here.. 

I don't see the point in cutting Dunny, creating another hole in a secondary which currently needs 3 starters already and then needing to find three upgrades at the corner and an upgrade at FS in one offseason. I don't agree that they couldn't  find a player that can match his production but, the issue is if you cut Dunny then, you need to find two players who can match his production, plus a new slot corner and a new FS. Put all those needs together and that seems like an impossible task. Maybe Moreland, Moreau and Apke can fill those spots and you sign a vet FA corner or FS too but I think it's unlikely that all of those moves would work out well in one offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marcus21 said:

What do you think your going to get for him? Maybe a conditional sixth? You have to find a trade partner that is willing to extend him, or we can pay him to sit on IR.  I not extending an often injured middle of the road corner that has now complained publicly twice. Why keep a disgruntled player on the roster in hopes to get a 7th round comp pick in 2022. His lvl of production is not going to be hard to replace in FA. 

There’s no reason to cut Dunny. He's disgruntled bc he thinks he should be getting paid three times what he is. Well, he needs to prove he's worth they first. No team is going to give him that $ this offseason. So, while he's upset about his current contract, he also knows or will know/come to the realization eventually in July/August that he's going to have to play for $4.4 million if he wants to get a contract that pays him near $10 million a year or more on his 3rd NFL contract. Like I said, he’ll eventually have to come to that realization and he’ll show up and play and when he's playing I seriously doubt that his contract situation will be an issue inside the locker room or on the field this season once he’s playing, and if it is, all that means is we can let him walk next March and get a comp pick for him for the 2022 draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cutting him is not an option. Trade, okay. Keep and let walk for a comp pick, okay. But you don’t just cut young, quality players with legitimate value and team-friendly contracts. 

Much like a wise (dread) pirate once said about perfect breasts, there is a shortage of capable CBs in the world. There are loads of competitive teams out there who would have interest in a guy like Dunbar — interest ranging from “could use” (DEN, NYJ, ATL, NO, CAR, ARI) to “looking to win the SB and may desperately need CB(s)” (HOU, MIN, KC).

Someone will give them something of value for him if they decide to move him. I would keep him, let the staff evaluate him, see if he can stay healthy, and then look to extend him during the year if all goes well. But if he’s going to be a problem and you have to move him, you have to at least get something for him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...