The Argument for a 2nd Round WR

TL-TwoWinsAway

It seems to me that many don't see WR as a need for the Lions. I disagree completely.

As we all know, the success of this team is squarely in the arm of Matthew Stafford. With him, we're able to compete with some of the top teams in the league, despite considerable weaknesses on the defensive side of the ball. Without him: not so much. Marvin Jones will be 30 before the start of the 2020 season, is entering the last year of his contract and has missed a total of 10 games due to injury over the past 2 seasons. Yes, a WR group of Golladay, Jones and Amendola is a pretty good group, but removing Jones from that unit weakens it considerably.

Enter: the 2020 NFL draft.

With the WR depth in this draft, we'll most likely be able to land a 1st round talent with our early 2nd round pick, a player that can spend a year getting acclimated to the league and will likely step into a starting role across from Golladay during his second season. The value of that player cannot be understated: not only will it add a 1st round talent for Stafford to throw to, but the team will likely suffer no decline by losing Marvin Jones.

That would be a 2nd round pick well spent.

• Like 1

I'm not completely opposed to it, but it completely depends on the receiver available.  I think there are other positions that are more of a necessity.  My biggest issue, is having all the best WR in the world has never done anything for us in the playoffs or even in making the playoffs.  I would say the CJ/Tate/insert player was better than what we have now and returned very little. I still would prefer a DT, DE, OG, LB, DB, stud rb over the WR position.  The fact we rely solely on Stafford to win is another issue for me. I think a stud rb would do wonders for stafford and the offense.  We saw a glimpse of that for the <sarcasm>two games</sarcasm> when jhavid best played.  Small sample size, I know, but that offense was terrifying.  Until this is a team with talent on the D as well as the offense, I don't see us doing anything of significance in terms of wins. If the right player is there, and no one is on their board for those other positions, then I'd be better with it.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 2

If we trade down and acquire multiple 1sts and 2nds, I have zero issues in taking a 2nd round WR if one of the top guys fell out of round 1. If Justin Jefferson or one of those guys is sitting there and we've already addressed major needs in round 1 + FA, I'm totally game with taking him there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

If we trade down and acquire multiple 1sts and 2nds, I have zero issues in taking a 2nd round WR if one of the top guys fell out of round 1. If Justin Jefferson or one of those guys is sitting there and we've already addressed major needs in round 1 + FA, I'm totally game with taking him there. 

I was coming back to say this very thing.  I agree 100% with this.

4 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ha.

Yeah, I fully operate under the assumption that we'll trade down this year, unless Tua doesn't check out medically. I can't think of a single good reason why we wouldn't.

BR just popped up with a notification saying that his medicals checked out positively. He hasn't resumed football activities yet but he's trending upwards in a big way. All we need is for Herbert to wow at the combine and we are in great shape for the draft. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ha.

Yeah, I fully operate under the assumption that we'll trade down this year, unless Tua doesn't check out medically. I can't think of a single good reason why we wouldn't.

If we don't trade down, would you still want a wr in round 2?

1 hour ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Ha.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Young is there at 3 for us.

Whether Washington trades down or not , I just dont see them investing so high on another dlinemen. 

16 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Young is there at 3 for us.

Whether Washington trades down or not , I just dont see them investing so high on another dlinemen. 

I know @HTTRDynasty disagrees but I do wonder whether a) they take Tua on the basis he's a better QB prospect than Haskins and is healthy; b) can trade down and build out the roster if they keep Haskins. 

Let's assume that Young is equivalent to a young Suh coming out of Nebraska. How much better are the 2020 Redskins vs the 2010 Detroit Lions? 

13 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Let's assume that Young is equivalent to a young Suh coming out of Nebraska. How much better are the 2020 Redskins vs the 2010 Detroit Lions? 

Hard to say... so much depends on free agency.  We'll have a good amount of cap space to work with in order to fill our numerous holes, but I doubt we make the playoffs unless we see a significant leap from Haskins in Year 2.  Regardless, I still think there's a 0% chance we draft Tua over Young.