The Argument for a 2nd Round WR

TL-TwoWinsAway

Drafting a WR early to prepare us for next year is a wise move. At the moment, Golloday and Jones are both scheduled to be FA's next year. I know it's not Quinn's m.o. to plan that far ahead, but getting a talented burner like KJ Hemler, Jalen Reagor, or Brandon Ayuik would go along way towards our strength at the position for future.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bishop86 said:

Drafting a WR early to prepare us for next year is a wise move. At the moment, Golloday and Jones are both scheduled to be FA's next year. I know it's not Quinn's m.o. to plan that far ahead, but getting a talented burner like KJ Hemler, Jalen Reagor, or Brandon Ayuik would go along way towards our strength at the position for future.   

Absolutely. And, as you pointed out, Golladay is also due a new deal. We can essentially convert Jones' $9M cap hit into Golladay's new deal and allow one of those great WR prospects to benefit playing alongside him.

4 hours ago, Bishop86 said:

I really like Reagor for our offense. Bevell does like the deep ball in his offense (Richardson, Harvin, Lockett, Marvin Hall). Reagor is very underrated IMO.

Perhaps this is a topic for another thread but what if instead of trying invest in our defense to make it only a little better we go hard on the offense and try to boat race to victory.  Take say Okudah in the first then a WR, RB, OT, and OG in rounds 2-3 ( this is assuming we trade down). If we can just 40 burger teams we don’t need to worry about stopping them if we can out score them. Just think about this last year how many games would we have won if we didn’t have to rely on the defense?  Instead let the offense control the clock and out score the other team. Just a thought. 

7 hours ago, Millenhater said:

Perhaps this is a topic for another thread but what if instead of trying invest in our defense to make it only a little better we go hard on the offense and try to boat race to victory.  Take say Okudah in the first then a WR, RB, OT, and OG in rounds 2-3 ( this is assuming we trade down). If we can just 40 burger teams we don’t need to worry about stopping them if we can out score them. Just think about this last year how many games would we have won if we didn’t have to rely on the defense?  Instead let the offense control the clock and out score the other team. Just a thought. 

It's an interesting thought. With Okudah, and assuming we'd keep Slay, we'd be built to try and slow their comeback.

9 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I think you have to ask yourself what the goal is? Is it to make the playoffs or make it to the superbowl. So, I don't like it. I understand the thought, but I still believe a shoot em up offense doesn't win in the post season.  I'm thinking Warren Moon's Houston Oilers. I'm sure there are counter arguments to this as well. You have to have some sort of defense, because a high octane offense will eventually meet that team along the line.  If the goal is a wild card team, we should go for it.  If it is a super bowl, then let's create a defense for the first time in 50 years.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

I think you have to ask yourself what the goal is? Is it to make the playoffs or make it to the superbowl. So, I don't like it. I understand the thought, but I still believe a shoot em up offense doesn't win in the post season.  I'm thinking Warren Moon's Houston Oilers. I'm sure there are counter arguments to this as well. You have to have some sort of defense, because a high octane offense will eventually meet that team along the line.  If the goal is a wild card team, we should go for it.  If it is a super bowl, then let's create a defense for the first time in 50 years.

I don't think that necessarily holds true anymore... I don't think it's all about defense. I think this year was just one example, with the defensive team falling short and unable to find a score against the offensive team.

If we were built around Stafford's arm, great WRs and a great secondary, with a few other defensive pieces scattered around, I think we could compete with any team in this league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I don't think that necessarily holds true anymore... I don't think it's all about defense. I think this year was just one example, with the defensive team falling short and unable to find a score against the offensive team.

If we were built around Stafford's arm, great WRs and a great secondary, with a few other defensive pieces scattered around, I think we could compete with any team in this league.

I guess I just look at the patterns.  Now, I'll admit, I'm going based on what I think and not looking into it what are the facts, but it seems the teams with the good defenses make it to the superbowl or improve their chances in the playoffs.  The titans for instance this year. SF took out GB.  It seems like the teams with stronger defenses make it further.  Also, KC won the TO battle.  I'm not saying a team with a good offense can't win or win it all, but they have to have some sort of D.  But, like I said, it's against my preference so I'll naturally be against it.  Also, the Lions have always tried doing a high power offense since the days of Barry and it has yet to work.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 4:43 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Hard to say... so much depends on free agency.  We'll have a good amount of cap space to work with in order to fill our numerous holes, but I doubt we make the playoffs unless we see a significant leap from Haskins in Year 2.  Regardless, I still think there's a 0% chance we draft Tua over Young.

They need to address WR in the off-season.  Marvin Jones in 30 and finished the last two seasons on IR.  Amendola is going to be 35.  Marvin Hall flashed some serious long speed but we really don't know if we have anything more than a 3rd or 4th WR.  The focus of free agency is to address needs that may not get addressed in the draft.  This draft is deep at WR.  On one hand, it could drive the price of a quality receiver like Robbie Anderson down a bit.  However, if a talented guy drops and he is good value at that draft slot they should go for it.

• Like 1

I definitely can see the team adding a WR on day two. It makes sense to address a need a year early so that the player can develop and be ready to play when Marvin moves on. This is also a crazy deep WR draft, so we can get someone very talented in the 2-4 rounds. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 2

What was the point of Hockenson selection then, I’d say defense and getting playmakers is the priority right now. My first offensive selection wouldn’t be till we’ll into day 3 and getting a WR or RB in the 4th round or something. Hockenson was the way I see it, supposed to be or our other top tier threat and should be used out wide just as much as he was inside. Move him everywhere and hope his size and athleticism to get favorable matchup against either slow DB with bad cover skills or small CB that he can out box or out jump.

18 minutes ago, DavisTyranus said:

What was the point of Hockenson selection then, I’d say defense and getting playmakers is the priority right now. My first offensive selection wouldn’t be till we’ll into day 3 and getting a WR or RB in the 4th round or something. Hockenson was the way I see it, supposed to be or our other top tier threat and should be used out wide just as much as he was inside. Move him everywhere and hope his size and athleticism to get favorable matchup against either slow DB with bad cover skills or small CB that he can out box or out jump.

Yeah, the Hockenson pick was intended to add a versatile, all-around weapon at TE to a strong WR group. The argument here is that one of those WRs will likely not be on the team past this year, and, if we're in position to grab a 1st round prospect in the 2nd round, it would be wise to do so.