Philip Rivers, Chargers Agree to Part Ways

nevetslc

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And to think that despite ALL the talent that was on that team for those 16 years, the best they ever did was an AFC Championship appearance ONE TIME.

He deserved better.

There was talent during the beginning of his career. But there was definitely inconsistent drafting and FA pick ups after 2006.

42 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And to think that despite ALL the talent that was on that team for those 16 years, the best they ever did was an AFC Championship appearance ONE TIME.

He deserved better.

38 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

So this. If you look at the Chargers during Rivers time and the coaching choices you have to be mad. Such a waste. The lesson should be you never fire a coach after a 14-2 season and then go and hire Norv Turner, **** McCoy and then Coach Lynn who despite the fact is a really good dude, definitely did not deserve an extension after earning the 7th overall pick. 

This is the end of an Era. An end to my team. There finally is no more San Diego Chargers. 

18 minutes ago, Xenos said:

They should have fired Marty. The problem was that they waited too long and who they replaced him with. Guy just can't handle the postseason.

Marty S wasn't the answer.   The problem was that Norv Turner & then Mike McCoy were even worse choices.     Lynn's tenure has been marked by having to deal with bad K's, and a declining Rivers.   The decision to stick with a rusty MG3 over Ekeler did cost them 2 games this year, and that's on Lynn, but overall Rivers was the problem this year.  Rivers' decline the last 1.5+ seasons has been ridiculous.

Norv & McCoy were truly horrible HC's.  They wasted Rivers' peak time when he was a really, really good QB.   It's hard to argue otherwise.

Edited by Broncofan

Just now, Danger said:

Rivers to Tampa Bay IMO on a 1 year deal.

The last I saw of Rivers his arm strength seemed to be a liability. That will murder him in a Bruce Arians offense. Bruce isn't the type of coach to just throw together a checkdown offense for Rivers, this is the same dude that hates the Tight End position. Rivers would be asked to be throwing the ball 30-40 yards downfield, about 40+ times a game.

Rivers needs a more horizontal offense focused on YAC in his old age.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hukos said:

The last I saw of Rivers his arm strength seemed to be a liability. That will murder him in a Bruce Arians offense. Bruce isn't the type of coach to just throw together a checkdown offense for Rivers, this is the same dude that hates the Tight End position. Rivers would be asked to be throwing the ball 30-40 yards downfield, about 40+ times a game.

Rivers needs a more horizontal offense focused on YAC in his old age.

Colts make the most sense then IMO

34 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Id be interested to hear how he compares to Dan Fouts and his legacy from Charger fans perspective

Fouts was pretty, Rivers was the franchise. Fouts had a Hall Of Fame caliber coach, Joyner, Winslow, Chandler... it’s not even close IMO. Rivers was vastly superior as a player and leader. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

They should have fired Marty. The problem was that they waited too long and who they replaced him with. Guy just can't handle the postseason.

I don’t disagree with any of this. Marty was an above average coach that made us competitive. If the call was to fire him then they should have done so and gotten first pick of the selection of coaches that year. Instead they waited until both our coordinators were hired on elsewhere then fired Marty. They fired him either way too early, or way too late IMO. It was just a cluster. 

Then we got stuck with Norv. I’d have rather watched Marty for one more season and then hired a real NFL coach then the  debacle we got saddled with hiring Norv. Norv alienated LDT, destroyed the run game and just dismantled a really good core of players. 

Mccoy was even worse. I didn’t know there could be worse then Norv until McCoy came around. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

I don’t disagree with any of this. Marty was an above average coach that made us competitive. If the call was to fire him then they should have done so and gotten first pick of the selection of coaches that year. Instead they waited until both our coordinators were hired on elsewhere then fired Marty. They fired him either way too early, or way too late IMO. It was just a cluster. 

Then we got stuck with Norv. I’d have rather watched Marty for one more season and then hired a real NFL coach then the  debacle we got saddled with hiring Norv. Norv alienated LDT, destroyed the run game and just dismantled a really good core of players. 

Mccoy was even worse. I didn’t know there could be worse then Norv until McCoy came around. 

At least you never got to see Whisenhunt get promoted to HC.  He would have been worse than McCoy.  

• Like 2

Kinda weird.  I guess the Chargers are at the point where they do obviously need to start moving on, and that was never really going to happen so long as Rivers was there.  But at the same time...if that team doesn't get rocked with the injuries they were, i feel like they're in a place that they can add a few pieces and still be very competitive.  Which is where a QB like Rivers would still make plenty of sense to me.  He's still an okay veteran with tons of obvious familiarity there.

I almost kinda worry about how Rivers is going to adjust to a new team.  He's never really done it, and he's going to need an entire tour bus just to move his family to wherever he lands.  Getting a 38 person household re-settled halfway across the country has to be at least a little bit distracting.  Right?