Philip Rivers, Chargers Agree to Part Ways

nevetslc

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Despite his talent, I don't think Philip Rivers was ever close to winning a Super Bowl.  

It's disappointing, but he's a great person.  

He's the best QB San Diego has ever had, and he's one of the greatest QBs to never win a Super Bowl.  

I'd say his best chance was when he tore his ACL against the Colts then played the next week against the undefeated Patriots... on the torn ACL... while Tomlinson rode his bike on the sideline with a MCL sprain, Gates needed reconstructive surgery on his toe, Lo Neal had a fractured fibula, Hardwick just came back from Lisfranc, and Merriman's knee was toast. And they still only lost 21-12..

Unfortunately for Rivers he was put into a bad situation and was too loyal for too long. I still believe he is one of the most talented QBs in the history of the game but never had the team around him when it was time to make plays. I hope he can have one last run with another team and get a ring though I know that's highly unlikely.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:
2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

No more Rivers for the Chargers, Eli for the Giants, and possibly Brady for the Pats. 

Lot of change in QB landscape

Mariota as good as gone from the Titans too....

One of these things is not like the other... One of these things just doesn't belong...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

TB12 to the Chargers?

I'll just leave here for posterity: If that happens, that will be the dumbest decisions the Chargers ever made.

Letting Rivers go, because he's old and then getting Brady.... man, that would be just too much to handle. And obviously (if it even needs to be stated) wouldn't solve ANY of our problems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

I don’t disagree with any of this. Marty was an above average coach that made us competitive. If the call was to fire him then they should have done so and gotten first pick of the selection of coaches that year. Instead they waited until both our coordinators were hired on elsewhere then fired Marty. They fired him either way too early, or way too late IMO. It was just a cluster. 

Then we got stuck with Norv. I’d have rather watched Marty for one more season and then hired a real NFL coach then the  debacle we got saddled with hiring Norv. Norv alienated LDT, destroyed the run game and just dismantled a really good core of players. 

Mccoy was even worse. I didn’t know there could be worse then Norv until McCoy came around. 

Norv was fine when he had talent. His scheme was just inflexible. Sad that he managed to win some playoff games with the Chargers while Marty got nothing. In a perfect world we would have gotten a ring in 2006 and Marty would ride off into the sunset.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Honestly baffled by the Rivers to Colts takes. Do they really think he makes them Super Bowl or even playoff competitors? It looked like his arm was about to fall off last year.

As I mentioned in another thread, that tends to happen when you're an older QB who is asked to sling it so many times without a reliable running game. Same thing happened to Brady and Brees when they were put into the same situation. Brees missing a few games this season was actually a blessing in disguise since it kept his arm fresh compared to previous years. The wheel also definitely fell off for Rivers when Pouncey was lost for the season.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

did not see Ben lasting the longest with his team out of the big 3 in the 04 draft. in fact around the late 00s, I thought he would retire years before eli and rivers were done due to injuries

Rivers isn’t retired. He’s merely getting an opportunity to go play for the first time on a competent NFL organization. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Denver come into the mix if they feel Lock needs another year of development.  Rivers still has the ability to have an amazing year. If you protect him and have even an average game he will kill you with his deep touch passes. 

I wonder what Rivers being an UFA will do for the contracts of Brees and Brady. There’s going to be a ton of money thrown around this off season. 

19 minutes ago, Boltstrikes said:

Rivers isn’t retired. He’s merely getting an opportunity to go play for the first time on a competent NFL organization. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Denver come into the mix if they feel Lock needs another year of development.  Rivers still has the ability to have an amazing year. If you protect him and have even an average game he will kill you with his deep touch passes. 

I wonder what Rivers being an UFA will do for the contracts of Brees and Brady. There’s going to be a ton of money thrown around this off season. 

I feel like everyone screaming "his arm is dead" has never watched him play. He was never a guy with a rocket arm that would zip it into tight spaces like a Favre or Rodgers. That was a knock on him coming out that he only had so-so arm talent. Its his touch and anticipation that was a step above others. Give him even a little time in the pocket with a receiver group who can get open and he will still light people up. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

So this. If you look at the Chargers during Rivers time and the coaching choices you have to be mad. Such a waste. The lesson should be you never fire a coach after a 14-2 season and then go and hire Norv Turner, **** McCoy and then Coach Lynn who despite the fact is a really good dude, definitely did not deserve an extension after earning the 7th overall pick. 

This is the end of an Era. An end to my team. There finally is no more San Diego Chargers. 

Aren't there still a few players that played in San Diego?

9 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

Fouts was pretty, Rivers was the franchise. Fouts had a Hall Of Fame caliber coach, Joyner, Winslow, Chandler... it’s not even close IMO. Rivers was vastly superior as a player and leader. 

I don't think it's that clear, cut, and dry personally. Rivers had quality defenses on a lot of his squads. Fouts and that offense really had just one year 1979. The following seasons were just Fouts and the offense trying to carry the entire load. And Don Croyell a HOF coach? Ehhh. He really neglected the defensive side of his Charger teams, and it showed. Never was involved in front office procedures, player contracts, etc. He was purely on the field. Like previously mentioned 1979, that was maybe the only team he put together that could go all the way.

Fouts, even with some lackluster performances in the postseason, I'd put neck and neck with Rivers for crown as the best Chargers QB. John Hadl 3rd.

Edited by PapaShogun