Philip Rivers, Chargers Agree to Part Ways

nevetslc

On 2/13/2020 at 10:00 PM, Xenos said:

I think I understand how Drew Brees fans felt when he went to the Saints and wanted him to win a Super Bowl. That's what I want for Rivers as well. Hopefully he goes to the right organization. I think his best fit is with Indy.

To bad for him, he didnt leave sooner.     His window is so limited now.

I still cant believe he never even made it to a SB.  He was a borderline elite talent his entire career, and he had great talent around him several years.    

Just goes to show how much poor management, ownership and coaching can hold a team back.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

To bad for him, he didnt leave sooner.     His window is so limited now.

I still cant believe he never even made it to a SB.  He was a borderline elite talent his entire career, and he had great talent around him several years.    

Just goes to show how much poor management, ownership and coaching can hold a team back.   

or kickers...

• Like 5

As a Raider fan I didn't like him yet will miss him...LOL  He had a cockiness that was off putting and yet entertaining too, hence the no liking but missing. 

ChargIR's was also a real factor and the starting cold getting hot late which I'd say is coaching not having the team ready early.

Still think San Diego is a better home for the Chargers, but San Diego is a great place even without a team so...

Brees becomes a really good QB once Rivers was drafted. Leaves with an injury and becomes GREAT with his next team. LT just worked hard but didn't get that ring with either QB. Martyball might have gotten it just a year or two later but Marty is cursed too. Damn you'd think they all came from Cleveland with a curse like that.

Various former teammates remembering Philip Rivers.

https://theathletic.com/1620684/2020/02/20/the-legend-of-philip-rivers-tales-from-an-epic-chargers-career/?source=dailyemail

Hardwick:  He spends more time, he spends more effort, more mental thought, more planning, more preparation. He goes above and beyond anything you could imagine. …He said it before at a press conference: “Everybody has a different-sized cup of how much they care, but everybody’s cup is full on the team.” He said it in a really nice way, but everybody’s cup is a different size. Well, Philip’s got not only a cup, he’s got a pool, a swimming pool’s worth of care in his body.

Ohrnberger: Since I had played elsewhere for four years, three years with the Patriots and a year with the Cardinals, I really saw him as an opponent and because he’s somewhat of a trash-talker, I thought he was going to be kind of a jerk. I didn’t know who he was going to be as a person. So I was so happily surprised that not only was he not a jerk, but he is the diametric opposite of a jerk.

On a side note, there was an interesting quote by Weddle that while complimentary of Rivers, also did not make sense to me. I would assume Brady had the same mental capabilities at the line of scrimmage. As well as someone like Rodgers.

Weddle: He was one of the best of his era. Ran the show. Not many quarterbacks in this league run the show like he does, where he makes every check, makes every call, O-line call, protection call, audibles. You watch, and you can count on your hand how many players (do it). It’s not many, maybe a couple. Not many. Peyton Manning was one, and he’s gone. Drew Brees does it. Even Tom (Brady) doesn’t even do it. It’s something to be said when you are running the show, not the little voice in your helmet telling you what to do.

Edited by Xenos

20 hours ago, Xenos said:

Various former teammates remembering Philip Rivers.

https://theathletic.com/1620684/2020/02/20/the-legend-of-philip-rivers-tales-from-an-epic-chargers-career/?source=dailyemail

On a side note, there was an interesting quote by Weddle that while complimentary of Rivers, also did not make sense to me. I would assume Brady had the same mental capabilities at the line of scrimmage. As well as someone like Rodgers.

A lot of times the Center is responsible for the protection call and not the QB. It's not so much that other guys can't do them, it's more so that the choice was made to have Rivers do it all. 

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

A lot of times the Center is responsible for the protection call and not the QB. It's not so much that other guys can't do them, it's more so that the choice was made to have Rivers do it all. 

Between Hardwick and Pouncey we had a lot of centers that were not that great. Maybe Slauson but he was more of a guard.

11 hours ago, bomont said:

Stupid move by the Colts if true IMO or really any team. He's done. He isn't about to lead anyone to the SB. And from what I hear about Ballard it seems unlikely as he doesn't spend big money on top FAs.

They should still draft a QB early and try to trade Brissett. He's a great backup at least.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bomont said:

Stupid move by the Colts if true IMO or really any team. He's done. He isn't about to lead anyone to the SB. And from what I hear about Ballard it seems unlikely as he doesn't spend big money on top FAs.

He's not done. It's equivalent to saying Brees is done.