perrynoid

Vikings Add Dom Capers to 2020 Coaching Staff

https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-add-dom-capers-to-2020-coaching-staff?fbclid=IwAR2w_pviLTP4AVEp6qYVPYDq6sMCg8HeSjSboIwe3D8aSIJ14tYfi6UWckc

Eagan, Minn. (February 10, 2020) – The Minnesota Vikings have added Dom Capers to the coach staff as senior defensive assistant.

Capers enters his 33rd season as an NFL coach and his first season with the Vikings as Minnesota's senior defensive assistant in 2020. He most recently served as the Jacksonville Jaguars senior defensive assistant during the 2019 season.

Guess Adam Zimmer and Andre Patterson need some help?

As I sort of posted in the other thread, while helping Andre and Adam out may be the initial thought, he could also have been hired to help out the new DB coach, considering that's Capers' specialty.

Packer fan here....

To be fair to Capers, he brought the 3-4 to GB, helped identify Raji and Matthews to complete that transition.  Won a Super Bowl.

His early returns were great for GB.

Then there were waaaayyyy too many years of gimmick packages that every team knew how to beat.  Predictable.  And he was terrible.

Seems like the longer he is with a team, the worse he is.  

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

source.gif

This was my first gif thought as well 😂😂😂

40 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Packer fan here....

To be fair to Capers, he brought the 3-4 to GB, helped identify Raji and Matthews to complete that transition.  Won a Super Bowl.

His early returns were great for GB.

Then there were waaaayyyy too many years of gimmick packages that every team knew how to beat.  Predictable.  And he was terrible.

Seems like the longer he is with a team, the worse he is.  

But how much of this can be laid at Caper's feet, and how much can be attributed to poor drafting/lack of FA signings?

Oofta, not sure what to think of this yet. 
I was probably the biggest pusher for the Packers for a long time to get rid of this guy. 

We also now have the 2002-2013 Texans HC’s on the staff... 

Zimmer brought up “young mans game”, but maybe it’s “old mans coaching game”

Zimmer, Kubiak, Capers 

As a DB coach or adviser, sure. Lots of experience. He won't be calling plays or anything.

I trust Zim

This offseason is a strange one so far.  Maybe the Wilf's are planning on building a retirement community for NFL coaches? 

39 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

But how much of this can be laid at Caper's feet, and how much can be attributed to poor drafting/lack of FA signings?

As much as I want to say it was the front office (because TT whiffed a lot near the end), it was Capers.  100%.  

Opposing teams said as much after games.  They knew what he would run and when he would run it.

And...when we had a young secondary, he ran schemes that were way too complex for them to understand.  We had seasons where guys would get long TD's against us, in the air, and we wouldn't have anyone in the frame when the ball was caught.  Afterwards guys would look at each other like someone should have been "there".  It was bad.  Really bad.  

I know that many of your corners are free agents.  Capers is not good for young corners.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

As much as I want to say it was the front office (because TT whiffed a lot near the end), it was Capers.  100%.  

Opposing teams said as much after games.  They knew what he would run and when he would run it.

And...when we had a young secondary, he ran schemes that were way too complex for them to understand.  We had seasons where guys would get long TD's against us, in the air, and we wouldn't have anyone in the frame when the ball was caught.  Afterwards guys would look at each other like someone should have been "there".  It was bad.  Really bad.  

I know that many of your corners are free agents.  Capers is not good for young corners.

Then maybe it is a good thing for the Vikes he isn't going to call the plays...